Golf courses & training

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
PatrickThierry
Novice
Novice

Golf courses & training

Post by PatrickThierry »

Hi,

Which Golf courses would you recommend?
I'm a beginner. I need to take lessons.

Thanks

Patrick
buksida

Re: Golf courses & training

Post by buksida »

John Wither is about the best teaching pro in the area (that said, I still slice it).

He can be found at Mongkol Driving Range or contacted though this website: http://www.huahingolfacademy.com
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

Depends on where you are. You most certainly need to take lessons before attempting to play. If you are near downtown you can go to Pai Mai driving range just off the road to Elephant land or whatever it is......we call it the Klong Road and it goes from just past Palm Hills Golf course to a hundred yards or so past the driving range. They have at least two good pros there, and I would say it's the second best range in the area.

If you're further north there is Tavimook Driving range near Index. They have at least one good instructor that I know of. It's on Petchkasem near Index...kind of hard to miss, other side of the road from Index and south of the Hua Hin Hospital a couple of turns. A pretty good range but you can't see where your balls land a lot of the time which turns me off.

Even further north in Cha Am there is a small driving range on the road to the beach. You would turn toward the beach at the traffic light....kind of tough to give directions from there, post a reply if you want and I'll try to be more specific. Don't know of anyone giving lessons there though.

Palm Hills has sort of a driving range but you can get lessons there from a couple of sources.....you'd have to ask in the Pro Shop I guess.

Way out of town is by far the best practice facility in the area, Black Mountain Golf course. The head pro there is very good at teaching as well.

As the other poster mentioned there is the range on the Elephant Road.....been there a few times but not that well maintained unless it's gotten better in the past year or so......the guy who owns it gives lessons and seems to have a good reputation, but if he can't cure a slice in one lesson I would hesitate to recommend him.

South of town there's a driving range at Sea Pines resort where there is also the town's newest golf course. Don't know anything about what's available.

South of Kao Tow before you get to Pranburi (bad spelling, sorry) there is a small range on the beach side of the road......not much to look at but if you're close to there it might be worth going to.

It wouldn't hurt to give out some additional information, lots of guys here could help you but need to know more than you've told us. How old are you, ever played before, had lessons before, how interested are you in playing etc.

Good Luck -
PatrickThierry
Novice
Novice

Post by PatrickThierry »

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your quick and very detailed answers.
A little more about me.
I'm 40, I've played few times. I had lessons already but not regularly. I practice with friends sometimes. We access to the Golf course without the license till we pay the fee it's fine.
Last year I had 2 hours with a perfect instructor (He was English maybe that’s why). After 2 hours I didn’t miss the ball any more, and it goes straight.
My objective is to use my 10 days vacation to make enough progress to be able to go on the Golf course when I’ll be back and to get positive feeling. For now it depends ton much on how lucky I am!
So I’d like to have an instructor for 2 hours per day and to make quick and good progress.
I welcome off course any advice, instructor name, place,....

Patrick
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

O.K., go see Pro Suwit at Pai Mai. He'll charge you one thousand baht a lesson or less if you take a group of lessons. He's not English but you'll understand him O.K.
Or, alternatively, see the Head Pro at Black Mountain.....depends on your mode of transportation.

The thing is you have to practice what you've been taught.........a lot! I'm talking about five to seven trays a day, more at your age I suppose. I'm just turning 68 and I do anywhere from three to seven depending on how well I'm doing on the things I've been taught. Practice also includes chipping and putting, which frankly are worth more than hitting long balls. A word to the wise, do not hit Driver, ever on the range, and probably not on the course until you're fairly competent. Hit your three wood or five wood or even seven iron off the tee. It's much much more important to hit the fairway than the rough.

If you can't spend a few hours a day practicing you might as well just head out to the course now and beat the ball around as best you can, because lessons only work if you can practice what you're learning.

Good luck again.......as with all golfers, you'll need it!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I had a lesson with John Wither last week. It was my first with him.
I'm a fairly experienced golfer but needed help with my putting and also wanted him to take a quick look at my swing. He was excellent and identified a couple of putting faults immediately and gave me a quick tip for my swing.
As well as teaching at Monkol he also does lessons at Banyan now. The practice range there is grass which is definitely the best surface to be hitting off - it's what you'll be smacking those little white balls off in "real life" after all rather than mats with concrete underneath. Having said that, I do also use mats as I can't get to Banyan for every practice session I have and they're fine in the absence of a grass facility.
John's an experienced pro. He's played on the Asian tour, taught in Germany and has been established in HH for a number of years now. He coaches people of all abilities from total beginners to more experienced golfers and current touring pros.
One thing I like about him is that he won't try and give you a cure all the first time with him. There's only so much you can take in at one lesson, so he'll focus on a couple of things that he feels are most important to get you started. He'll also put you on camera with a computer gadget so you can see what you're doing - correctly as well as badly. That helps no end and isn't some gimmick.
As far as curing slices goes, well I think that maybe Buksi's inability to get rid of his was down to his own failings with the game rather than any lack of prowess in John's teaching abilities - nes't ce pas, Buksi? I'm not having a go, BTW.
I'd definitely recommend John. I know he's also helped countless others in HH over the years.
Good luck with your game. PET gives good advice about how to improve, away from any coaching. It's a long way to the top!!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Give it up now! You'll be much better off in the long run in both your mental health and financial well being... :D :D :D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

Good one.............you'll save a lot of money too! Better to stay at home and watch TV.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

There is only 1 sensible choice Patrick - John Wither, a real expert teacher and a good fella too. He will look at you and create a stepped action plan to get you where he wants you - his teaching is very simplistic in the way he communicates.
The Thai pros are all good but his communication is the real key. The food at the range he teaches at is brilliant too! :thumb:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

The food at the range he teaches at is brilliant too!
I'll go along with that! That restaurant is what kept me going there (instead of facilities closer to home) to practice when I was playing.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Lessons, lessons, lessons. Next you'll be wanting a caddy to carry your kit and tell you what iron to use, and a golf buggy so you don't have to walk anywhere, and an umbrella to keep the sun of you. :shock:

:thumb: :cheers: :laugh:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

I'll second, or third the restaurant.......good stuff.

We have to remember Patrick only has ten days to work with. Might be ten of the best days of his life if he uses them to learn how to really swing a club.....who knows. Are you here alone or married Patrick? If you're here alone and you think you really might like golf......live at that driving range while you're here.

Then let us know what you think when you're ready to go home.
PatrickThierry
Novice
Novice

Post by PatrickThierry »

Hi,

Thanks for your help guys.
I'll follow your advice: John Wither sounds the best at least the one you recommend.

By the way.
I'm a kitesurfer, I plan to practice both, kitesurf and Golf.
I'd like to stay on a "resort" on the beach.
I don't know Hua Hin but I've been several times to Thailand. I don't look for a 5 stars hotel but for a nice accomodation: clean, air con, on the beach. I'd like to be close to the nightlife too, I don't want to drive the motorbike on my way back. Could you recommend a good place? My definition of a good place is a place where you could stay.

Thanks

Patrick
Chomps
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Chomps »

Is there many courses in hua hin? And do they have a dress code like the golf courses over here in England?
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

5 to 7 trays a day? Not sure I would recommend this at the beginning because the more balls you hit, the more you are 'bedding-in' bad technique. 7 trays of slicing isn't going to fix my slice, only make it that much harder to cure it when the instructor gets to work.

If I realize I'm doing something wrong, I don't play that shot again until I've sorted it. This discipline has paid off for me. I can make adjustments quite quickly now, where I see some golfers, lesson after lesson, unable to make progress.

The other factor is tiredness. In this heat you can tire quickly and obviously will not be on top of your game. For me, 2 trays is sufficient. If you are kite-boarding you are probably fit and strong, so it may not matter.

Beware too much advice from amateur 'experts'. They mean well and may often be right but you end up with 'too many cooks' and too many thoughts in your head. Find a good teacher and stick with them. I befriended a scratch golfer who was willing to spend the time with me. Ply them with drinks, take them for a meal or two, grovel and complement, let them make love to your wife. Whatever it takes to transfer their knowledge from them to you. Nothing is sweeter than watching a 7 iron with a slight draw land 6" from the cup or holing out from a greenside bunker. Actually, him teaching me improved HIS game, so both of us benefited.

Sea Pines (Suan Som?) range is ok. Only 20bht a tray and you can hit off the mat or grass. The putting green is like Aintree just after the Grand National, while the bunkers are very poor but it's 100 thb to hit off the grass at Black Mountain and another 100 to practice chipping. Spending 700 thb for 7 trays when you don't know which end of the club is which seems a bit unnecessary.

Pae Mai offers coupons. You could buy a pack of 50 or 100 'A' grade balls.. the 'B' balls sometimes defy physics!... at a nice discount over individual trays.