Hua Hin Golf Festival 2009

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I believe (could be wrong) that the 800 baht green fee for the golf festival is the same for all - there are certainly more Thais playing in Hua Hin this month. The difference is that during the regular season Thais can get on most Hua Hin courses for about a grand where farangs are coughing up 2,500 to 3,000 a round.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
bozzman101
Guru
Guru

Post by bozzman101 »

had a hack around the majestic the other day 800 plus caddy was 1050 plus tip 200 =1250 total should be 800 all in for a good deal back to the army camp for 300 plus caddy 500 total much better :cheers:
Once you go Asian you will never go Caucasian !!
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

bozzman101 wrote:had a hack around the majestic the other day 800 plus caddy was 1050 plus tip 200 =1250 total should be 800 all in for a good deal back to the army camp for 300 plus caddy 500 total much better :cheers:
Army camp is in good nick at the moment considering.

In reality you can say that the Golf Festival costs at least 1250 baht a round the 800 baht figure is just a figure to get you hooked!
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

the army camp for 300 plus caddy 500 total much better
Which Army camp is that? I thought Pranburi was a little more than that (could be wrong) and Dolphin Bay is free... is there another one nearby?
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

hhfarang wrote:
the army camp for 300 plus caddy 500 total much better
Which Army camp is that? I thought Pranburi was a little more than that (could be wrong) and Dolphin Bay is free... is there another one nearby?
Thanarat in Pranburi.

I know if your a member (8000 baht year) then it's 310 baht that includes the caddie fee for 18 holes. You can play 9 holes after 3 for 210 baht that also includes caddie fee. Turning up off the street non-member not sure but will let you know
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I think Tannarat is 800 THB for non-members.
Played Springfield yesterday - not very well after recovering from a bout of flu and an achillies tendon strain.
It might have just been my warped perception of the course, beers and playing badly, but I didn't think it was in very good condition. Lies on the fairway and in semi rough could be patchy and the greens had had a sanding - I appreciate that's necessary sometimes.
If I was to compare it to Dragon Hills, the latter would get my vote.
However, at 800 THB for the round, it was good value although as JG points out costs can escalate - as I found out. Caddie, caddie tip a buggie (which I needed), drinking money round the course and afterwards etc etc. I havn't looked yet at the damage everything did to my wallet - certainly 3,000++.
It's a great course and I don't mean to knock it, but I wouldn't pay 3,500 THB to play there out of the festival.
Hopefully others can set the record straight and the above is just my memory of a bad day's play.
Roll on Lake View at some point in time. I'm going to have to stay indoors for a while to afford it now.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

The fairways seemed great other than a lot of sand filled divots (compared to Tanarat and Dolphin Bay at least) last week and I only remember one freshly sanded green. The course was in about the same condition as the municipal courses I used to play in California and Florida. Which two nines did you play Lomu?

I agree with you though. My cost with caddy fee, tip, cart, and beers was around 2500 baht, still a bit more than I used to spend stateside for a round of golf and beer. Ok deal now but I wouldn't consider it at the regular price. The biggest problem for me here is that I can't walk 18 holes... well I can, but in this heat and humidity I am exhausted to the point that it's no fun any more about mid way through the second nine and cart rental here is around three times what I used to pay in Florida (where I also needed one for the same reason). 750 baht or around 22 USD for cart rental is a real rip compared to 6 - 8 USD in Florida.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
valrhona

Post by valrhona »

I absolutely hate golfing using a cart. On many courses, you have to walk from one side to the next and take a bunch of clubs with you because you can't quite see the shot you have often forgetting one along the way. It ends up being slower unless there's a big distance between holes or it's incredibly hilly which none of the Hua Hin courses are in my opinion.

On top of it, I need the walk to cool off from bad shots, I find it a bit more therapeutic than sitting in a cart fuming.

That's the main reason why I've only played Banyan once.

My biggest gripe with thai courses will always be pace of play, that's what I miss the most. Being able to play rounds in 2-3 hours and not have to make it a full half day...
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I need the walk to cool off from bad shots, I find it a bit more therapeutic than sitting in a cart fuming.
Sitting in a cart drinking beer between shots helps!

At the beginning of the second nine I just bought a plastic bag full of ice and beers and put it in the little wire basket behind the seats! :cheers:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

So I read the pricing above in the thread again... is it correct that Banyan is 800 baht? The 650 mandatory cart doesn't bother me as I am usually alone in one anyway as most people like to walk here and it's 100 baht cheaper than the cart was at Springfield.

Maybe Banyan is next on my list! :D
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

hhfarang,
We played the Mountain and Lake courses.
valrhona,
Totally agree with you about carts, however after the flu I knew I wouldn't have the energy to walk the course yesterday.
However, the caddie was brilliant and a golfer herself. She drove on the fairways, where allowed, and clubbed me brilliantly so there was very rarely any mix up with clubs when I had to walk to the ball (she had a selection of three normally) and even went so far as to give me a "lesson" round the back 9 - SLOW DOWN!! I started hitting the ball better then.
The course played at a decent pace. I think we got around in about 4 hours. Not too bad.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

hhfarang

Banyan is bht 800 green fee, Bht 650 cart and bht 250 caddy so a total of bht 1700.
Black Mountain is not in the Festival but are doing Bht 1600 to include cart and then Bht 300 for caddy, a total of bht 1900

When any of you play Lakeview I do suggest that you play the 'C' course, providing you can play to 18 handicap. It is in very good condition and a good test.

A tip for those of you who like to have a beer or two during the round, and save yourself a lot of dough. Bring your own and then change it (them?) for a cold one at any of the drink stops - keep this quiet though.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

PET wrote:hhfarang
When any of you play Lakeview I do suggest that you play the 'C' course, providing you can play to 18 handicap. It is in very good condition and a good test.
Why the restriction on 18 handicap?
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

hhfarang

The 'C' course is quite difficult with very many bunkers, both fairway and in front of the greens. There are plenty of intimidating golf shots also.

I just feel that one goes out to enjoy oneself and if you take on too much more than your ability it is not much fun. However if you do not mind all the penalities of bunkers and water etc then fine go ahead.

18 handicap was just a guess for those who often hit the faiways etc and who would not get into too much difficulty.

I hope you have fun.

Lekeview rates are green fee bht 800, cart bht750 and caddy bht250
The understudy
Ace
Ace

Post by The understudy »

buksida wrote:Beer worked today when I sliced, diced and chunked my way around Palm Hills. I actually scored better on the back nine (which turned out to be the front nine because we tee'd off from the tenth due to a traffic jam at the first).

Many have criticised PH course but I loved it, nice wide fairways (good for slicers), greens were in top notch condition and the staff were professional despite the crowds.

This golf festival should really be extended (at least for Hua Hin residents!).
Hey Buksida at the Tee off to the fourth hole (Front niner) you ca get a pretty decent view into my old Univ. Campus which should house Thai students by now!
International Studs had been shouved to Da new Bangers Campus o Rama 9th road just 10 Min. from Swampy Airport and 10 Min. to RCA!

Your's The understudy!
In Love with Hua Hin since 19naughty9 and it ain't fading!!!
(My fable for All Things Japanese knows no boundaries!) Proud Student of Stamford University Hua Hin Campus from 1999 to 2004 (5th Batch of Graduates.)
“Once you survive Stamford U Hua Hin Campus only you can survive anything!!!”