Hua Hin Golf Festival 2009

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
FISHERMAN194
Rookie
Rookie

Post by FISHERMAN194 »

6 of us are coming to play golf in september we are there for 4 days what courses should we play?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I'd go for Lake View, Springfield, Black Mountain and maybe Banyan or Royal HH as long as they're all offering the discounted green fees in September, which I think they will be.
Take a look here for reviews of the courses and contact details:
http://www.tourismhuahin.com/golf-huahin.php
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I played Majestic today. When I used to play regularly 8 years ago, it was always my favourite course.
It's still a great lay out and there's spectacular scenery, but the greens are are a bit suspect. Some play really fast, whilst others are slow. Maybe that's just because I've always been useless at putting?
I started out OK - par. par, bogey. bogey, par. Then I must have gone into a soma dream because the middle part of the course was terrible - triple bogies etc. Truly bad. Couldn't hit a thing, but finished par, bogie.
my playing partner did OK, but had some death wish with bunkers. Wherever they were, he'd find them.
He came on strong at the finish - by that I mean the 18th which he bogied. The rest? A bit of advice - don't let him drive the cart. For a man who has a Thai driving licence, he drives like one. Our caddies were nearly decapitated by palm leaves on a number of occasions. And he managed to find the switch for reverse somewhere around the back nine. He needed it as he'd hit a palm tree and almost gone backwards.
All-in-all, it's a great course and could be even better with some care and attention. :cheers:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Had a rare day off work today so went round Royal again. Aside from it taking almost an hour to get to the course as Hua Hin's idiotic constabulary decided to close all of the roads near the station it was a good day out. The course was empty which means I could get my badly sliced drives back off the wrong fairway, I could probably name every tree there also as I hit most of them.

Playing partners fared slightly better ... well two of them did, the other was competing with me for the most wayward drive or decapitating the caddies! :wink:

It wasn't in as good condition as early last month, a dry week had hardened the fairways and the greens were a combination of fast, slow and elevated bastard variety. Its a tough course to score well on, needless to say I didn't.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Yes Buksi, I went and did the Royal for the first time a few weeks ago and it was rock hard with not much grass, impossible on some fairways to get under the ball which when your as crap as I am is a severe disability. I end up trying 150 yard puts with my 7 iron. :D It's nice and close though, I think I will try Palm Hills this week as heard that there is some grass on the fairways.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I was at Royal HH today as well. As has already been said, the fairways were in need of attention, especially when hitting downhill. They were dry.
However, I found the greens to be pretty forgiving. Even though I wasn't hitting the ball too well, it stopped on a satang and even span backwards sometimes. There's got be quite a bit of water on those greens for that to happen with my shots.
Lomu took his caddie's advice early on and put the driver in jail. My scoring improved a lot after that - 3 iron off the tee. I was 10 over through 4-16. I was pretty happy with that. The rest was a waste of time.
For those who havn't played the course, it is a big bit of greenery in the middle of town. Out of the way, with no traffic and a lot of trees!!
And all the big trees have latin names attached to them. Some must be hundreds of years old.
The clubhouse has black and white photos of His Majesty King Rama V playing there.
Quite a bit of history. :thumb:
Soondae

Post by Soondae »

I play RHH every trip but unfortunately the fairways are going to pot. I have to say I have had some of the best caddies anywhere in Thailand at Royal HH.

Springfield is fabulous, I believe it to be the sister course of Lam Chabang in Pattaya, they are very similar both being Nicklaus designs. Imperial is also a very nice layout though I didn't play it this past year.

I am sorry to hear that a BM posted Majestic as going to pot. I loved that course layout and thought in a couple of years that I might get a membership there. If Majestic is now in bad shape I guess I'll have np recourse but to buy a membership at Springfield.

By the way, what kind of shape is Palm Hills? I haven't played it yet.
Soondae

Post by Soondae »

FISHERMAN194 wrote:6 of us are coming to play golf in september we are there for 4 days what courses should we play?
Springfield and Imperial, I took a friend to Springfield and he decided that we should play all three of our rounds there, it is that nice. I say that not having played Black Mountain or Banyan yet which should be top quality as they are the newest.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Soondae wrote:Where the heck is the edit button on this forum? I meant Black Mountain of course!
The Sadists took it away. Image
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

That's it, all over for another year. Back to the Army Course :D
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yep, game over good golfing for another year for us non-tourists. Got to play on some decent courses during the two months such as Royal, Majestic, Palm Hills, Springfield and Lake View. I hope Black Mountain crawl out of their own arses and join in next year and Banyan stop forcing people to take carts which to me ruins the game.

Now its back to Dolphin Bay for me, Thannarat was in shocking condition when I played it 3 weeks ago (so was my game though!), roll on the new course in Takiab!

For those looking to practise I can recommend Tavimook driving range just past Hua Hin hospital on Petchkasem, nice layout, plenty of space, attentive staff and new balls!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Ken
Deceased
Deceased

Drving Range

Post by Ken »

Is that the driving range where John Wither is doing his coaching? Heard good reports about it.
buksida

Re: Drving Range

Post by buksida »

Ken wrote:Is that the driving range where John Wither is doing his coaching? Heard good reports about it.
Yeah, he has moved there as the range at Mongkol had an 'accident' and the Thai owner refused to repair it. Great business sense eh :roll:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Yeah, he has moved there as the range at Mongkol had an 'accident' and the Thai owner refused to repair it. Great business sense eh
Oh my, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope Peppers will stay open. Is there a restaurant at the new place? Is it the place that used to be a (lighted) par three golf course?
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
buksida

Post by buksida »

That's the place, just past soi 10.

Peppers is still at Mongkol and still serving top notch grub.