Golfers love or hate them

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Jamtarts
Novice
Novice

Golfers love or hate them

Post by Jamtarts »

Hi everyone I was just wondering what people thought about the golf community in Hua Hin, being that I go hacking up the local courses nearly everyday and enjoy every minute of it. It keeps me fit (always walk) and I have met lots of people who otherwise I would never have met and who on the whole have been easy going men and women on a day out enjoying the peace and quiet and playing a game which they love to play. I must admit that I have came accross some who you could clasify as a golf snob who love quoting rules and look down on beginners when in reality they are shite themselves but always seem to have a single handicap? then there is the club tossers who like to swear and moan even when they make a half decent shot, in my experience these people are a minority maybe 5%. I have never bothered to join any of the local golf societies as there seems to be quite a few of that 5% which are members of these societies which are renowned for their internal squabbling over petty issues. The reason for writing this post is I was browsing and found a post which called golf a Bourgoise sport played by elitists or Hi so wanabees, sh*t I'd rather get caught kissing my sister than be thought of like that. Anyway I am sure all you golfer haters have a reason for your train of thought so lets hear them and for all my fellow fun golfers how about a bit back up. :cheers:
Why is abbreviation such a long word.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

You make some good points Jamtart, my old club back in UK was full of the snobists as you call them, couldnt hit a cows butt with a banjoe but insisted on making us juniors wait for them to play - holding us up all the way round and generally being xxxxx.

The club chuckers........ sorry to say in my younger days i have hurled the odd one and seen many of my friends doing the same - when i see guys doing it now i shudder at what an idiot i must have looked like. Needless to say it doesnt happen anymore.

I am a member of 2 societies here - HHGS and Saen Suk - and i play when work allows and play with whichever works for me that particular week. There are a wide array of people in both and for sure there are people you enjoy playing with more than others... thats life, and some do know the rules more than others but thats an integral part of the game so if your ever pulled for a rule problem you shouldnt really blame the guy who has seen the problem, but learn from it and also remember that knowing the rules helps - they can often benefit you if you know them! Watch the pros, look like they are in big trouble only to manage to use the rules to give them a chance.

My experiences golfing here are all great, beautiful courses and good people to play with.

Final point..... a few beers on the course always helps to make it more fun!!!
Happy golfing. :cheers:
tj

Post by tj »

Totally agree with JW here. Have been a frequent visitor to hua hin and although heave never joined any of the societys have played with most of them and must say have enjoyed playing with most of the people i have met. Have played with a few assh***s but just kept my cool and made sure i was never partnered with them again.
Social golf should be fun and although i appreciate the serious side as well, some take it too far and u would think they are playing for their tour card every time they play.
My only problem is i talk to much to the caddies and am frequently reminded that it is my shot! Sorry for that guys but we all have our own style and mine is definitley not serious where golf is concerned!
If your not cheating your only cheating yourself
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Hi tj,

Good stuff..............enjoying the game is what its all about - be nice to get a game with you sometime!

Cheers,

JW
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I can't comment on the Hua Hin golf scene as I gave up the sport a couple of years before I started coming to the town, but I did find the sport in general to be a bit elitist.
What I didn't like about it was that other members of golf clubs really didn't do anything to encourage beginners and many were actually hostile to them.
In other sports I've been involved in, senior members would go out of their way to obtain instructor qualifications and then strive to teach beginners to raise the standard of the club but in golf this doesn't seem to happen.
In golf you're pretty much forced to spend money on professional tuition which in many other sports you would only ever consider doing if you were virtually at an international level.
Incidentally, I've just asked some members of my partners Issan family and playing golf in Hua Hin is considered to be hi-so wannabe!
beachyhead

Post by beachyhead »

Hi Jam tarts, play for fun and enjoy the walk, I got into golf when I moved here 3 years ago and then started to get the bug to improve and then I stopped enjoying the game as I would get so p****d off. Throw the club, oh yes throw the club. Anyway it was once I started to play with better golfers, who could play shots that I could only dream about and they would walk off in a real hump for shooting over 80, that I realized that you will never beat this game no matter how good you get. So now if I go out and shoot 90 fantastic if I shoot under 100 OK, good day, if over 100 well tomorrows another day. Play with JW if you get the chance, good golfer and not up his own backside but don't tell him I said so.
There is only two things wrong with a woman, her face !
brentaz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by brentaz »

Hi Lad,
You all hit the spot, a geat game indeed and some patience is required by the better skilled to the learner drivers out on the tee boxes. I have been playing for about two years and im slowly getting there albeit wanting to quit sometimes....But i stuck with it and im arriving in HH for my hols in mid august for two weeks and im really looking forward to the black mountain and some others....Keep the faith and let all your drives split the fairways.
cheers bren.
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

I am not a golfer (as you will see) but decided on day to see what all the fuss was about.
First stop was the driving range. I headed down there with a few mates and rented a bat and some balls.

To be honest I was more impressed with the little machine that tees up the balls than I was at the prospect of whacking them down the pitch.

I walked up the mark and sucked in my belly to line up the shot. Apparently I was not supposed to stand to attention but in a sort of gunslinger stance and most important never take my eye of the ball...!

I had decided that nothing but the back fence was good enough for my first shot and braced myself to unleash armageddon.

Out the corner of my eye I could see my friends looks af apprehension. They were shouting out tips but I could hear nothing. I was in the zone...

I withdrew the bat slowly into the air and with every ounce of strength I posessed brought it down with furious anger.

The ball never moved an inch. However the 3 iron I was holding must have covered nearly 80 meters... :shock:

They had to stop everyone while some poor sod ran out to get it.

I assume my friends were laughing themselves to death. I woudn't know as I was on my way into town for a beer... :cheers:
www.35mmview.com
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Caddied when I was a kid and met some real a**holes.
I do remember Lee Trevino being interviewed at the Canadian Open many years ago.
He answered questions while dropping chip shots into his caddy's hat from 20 feet.
Happiness can't buy money
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

I strongly recommend that anyone taking up golf firstly spends time reading up on its ETIQUETTE.

This will give you an understanding that will explain many things which you might not have realized and hopefully you will then enjoy this wonderful game ( even more)

You may also revise your opinion of certain other players whom you were previously critical of.
tj

Post by tj »

JW. Will be back in hua hin in 3 weeks time. Would love to have a game with u even if u are English! Hope everything going well for u mate and u are still maintaining yr single status??
If your not cheating your only cheating yourself
buksida

Post by buksida »

Nice one Randy, know the feeling.

Been playing for about 9 months here and yes, its rather addictive but also painfully frustrating and I do on occasion get a little wound up and have wanted to quit a couple of times (clubs get posted on the classifieds then taken off when I change my mind again). When you hit a cracking drive and then a retarded second and third or get on the green in two and then four-putt its rather annoying. The whole lack of consistency does me in!

I can get round in about 110-115 so still have a lot of work to do, looking forward to taking advantage of the 800 baht green fees for the Hua Hin golf festival next month - its the only time I can afford to play here!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You guys may want to consider putting a hockey stick in your bag for emergency use. :thumb: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

You guys may want to consider putting a hockey stick in your bag for emergency use.
Or a Cricket bat might be more appropriate for the majority of ex-pats here... :D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
JoeDoc
Banned
Banned

Post by JoeDoc »

Randy Cornhole wrote:I am not a golfer (as you will see) but decided on day to see what all the fuss was about.
First stop was the driving range. I headed down there with a few mates and rented a bat and some balls.

To be honest I was more impressed with the little machine that tees up the balls than I was at the prospect of whacking them down the pitch.

I walked up the mark and sucked in my belly to line up the shot. Apparently I was not supposed to stand to attention but in a sort of gunslinger stance and most important never take my eye of the ball...!

I had decided that nothing but the back fence was good enough for my first shot and braced myself to unleash armageddon.

Out the corner of my eye I could see my friends looks af apprehension. They were shouting out tips but I could hear nothing. I was in the zone...

I withdrew the bat slowly into the air and with every ounce of strength I posessed brought it down with furious anger.

The ball never moved an inch. However the 3 iron I was holding must have covered nearly 80 meters... :shock:

They had to stop everyone while some poor sod ran out to get it.

I assume my friends were laughing themselves to death. I woudn't know as I was on my way into town for a beer... :cheers:
:D That's funny! :cheers: