Golf in adjacent provinces

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
le pew

Golf in adjacent provinces

Post by le pew »

I have started to take note of where the golf courses are around Hua Hin and noticed that the travel times to some are 1.5 hours etc. Do the local expats stay overnight when they play there is is travelling to and fro acceptable? I would imagine that inexpensive accomodation can be found outside of Hua Hin. Maybe the Mrs expats don't like the overnighters?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I've always reckoned that a three hour drive time to and from a course is acceptable in a day. If you tee off at around 10am, allow 5 hours for a round and a couple of beers afterwards, you'll be back in HH around 5pm. It's a good day out.
Plus some of the courses, say Dragon Hill and Royal Ratchaburi (around Ratchaburi) are significantly cheaper to play than those around HH. They're also in excellent condition and there's virtually no-one on them.
If you go further afield, say to Kanchanaburi, you might want an overnight stay.
Also, quite a few of these courses are currently offering heavily discounted green fees in low season. Some have overnight stays built in to a package - two rounds of golf, your room and breakfast. Dragon Hills varies from 1,100 mid-week to 1,400 for Sat and Sun. Blue Sapphire do the same (Kanchanaburi) for 1,600 I think.
le pew

Post by le pew »

Wow! That is a good offer. Do the locals get together for group trips or is it something done by just a few players?
le pew

Post by le pew »

Lomuart, Thanks for the info. By the way, those type of offers at Kanchanaburi? are they open to toursits or do you need to be a resident?
I know that Loch Palm at Phuket only gave their specials to locals.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It seems now that a ferry service on large catamaran type vessels is really gong to happen Pattaya>HH>Pattaya once or twice a day. They're saying a 3 hour crossing time.

If it does come true, that opens up all the courses both sides to everyone. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

Generally the further you get from Hua Hin the cheaper the golf gets. Those deals are open to all but its often a good idea to call ahead to reserve a tee time.

There will be more info in this thread:
http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/hu ... 10055.html

The golf societies arrange group trips but you may find them very cliquey. I'd be up for getting a few HHAD members together for a round out of town but can only do weekends unfortunately.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
le pew

Post by le pew »

Buksida, there's such a thing as a weekend in LOS?
I'll certainly be in touch via the forum when my trip comes around next March.
le pew

Post by le pew »

Places like Ratchaburi and Manchanaburi seem to have OK golf courses. If I was wanting to stay over for a few days is there any night life? I saw on another furum that these placves are deadsville and hardly anyone speaks english. Does that mean there are no beer bars there?
le pew

Post by le pew »

Sorry for the shite spelling in teh above. I meant Ratchaburi and Kanchanaburi.
buksida

Post by buksida »

le pew wrote:I saw on another furum that these placves are deadsville and hardly anyone speaks english. Does that mean there are no beer bars there?
Kanchanaburi town has a couple of bars and a bit of nightlife, not sure about Ratchaburi though. If you're out in the sticks (where the golf courses usually are) you won't find much.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Kancha has many bars and discos on floating pontoons on the river. Thai infested though
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

richard wrote: Thai infested though
Yes, the buggers get everywhere, don't they? Anyone would think they owned the place... :roll:
This is the way
le pew

Post by le pew »

Thanks fellas. I'm looking at the possibility of staying in those areas to be closer to the golf action rather than pay cab fares each day from HH. I can recall going to the bar / disco area near Tab Lamu in Khao Lak area and found that these bars really only cater for Thais. In fact, we were made to feel quite isolated. Maybe they were not used to interacting with farangs or maybe they didn't need to. Either way it made me feel grateful for the way the toursity beer bars operated. I'm still looking at the options of places other than heartland HH for golf. Some of the HH courses are still too expensive for me. To me golf is golf. It doesn't have to be Augusta. However, the evening entertainment is relatively important. I wouldn't like to stay at a Golf Resort hotel mainly becaues this tiem I will be travelling alone.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Having stayed at the Dragon Hills Hotel, I can confirm that there's nothing in the way of entertainment at all. There were the three of us and four staff. The kitchen was kept open for us for dinner.
I imagine that they might occasionally get group tours staying there and there was the obligatory stage with karaoke in the dining room, but I doubt that's going to excite you.
The course - and Royal Ratchaburi - are definitely worth playing though. Try asking about nightlife and hotels in Rachaburi on the "On the Road" forum.
le pew

Post by le pew »

Thanks Lomu, Your evening at that hotel would have been a killer for me. I have had a quick look at the "On the road" Topics and I will post there. I've also had a quick look at the golf courses you mentioned and both seem exactly what I am looking for. Good courses under 1000 baht. I guess I should also look at perhaps hiring a car from HH for the trip up there and for use to and from the courses. I've driven in LOS before and find it quite OK. but that was in Phuket and Khao Lak where it is difficult to get lost. I'll keep my options open there.