Which car would you feel safest in Thailand

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Re: Which car would you feel safest in Thailand

Post by MDMK »

the only vehicle I'd feel safe in in Thailand is one that's parked up (preferably in a drive way a good way back from the road)
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Re: RE: Re: Which car would you feel safest in Thailand

Post by Thailightzone »

MDMK wrote:the only vehicle I'd feel safe in in Thailand is one that's parked up (preferably in a drive way a good way back from the road)
ImageImageImage
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Which ??? The one I'm driving. Car doesn't matter, it's the driver that makes the machine safe.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

laphanphon wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:29 pm Which ??? The one I'm driving. Car doesn't matter, it's the driver that makes the machine safe.
Very true, but the reality is that no matter how good a driver YOU may be, there will always be somebody else who is not in the least bit interested in your safety and will carry out all of the bad practices that most of us see on almost a daily basis. What I believe the OP and most responders have considered is, in the event that you are involved in an accident, what car is likely to offer you the best protection.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Since I've never needed even a seat belt, let alone an airbag, in my 45+ yrs of driving, I guess I feel pretty safe in my present, overpriced, POS, Mazda2 sedan. TBO, has served me very well, along with the previously one, and the 2 T. Vios s that I've had since living here. Entry level crap here is fine for what I use them for, everyday living, or an occasional out and about.

Neither need or want anything larger, as my highway kms, especially of late, was and is a minute amount of my driving. In PKK, smalls-ville, or HH, I wouldn't be too worried about any accident, as nobody drives fast here, and it's too congested in HH for any serious accident around town. So again feel pretty safe.

But if wasting baht, and someone else driving for me, guess it would have to be a Hummer, for safety, though have no idea how they would do in a real accident at speed.

Could spend simply 1 extra mill baht for fancy P/U or SUV, again, don't need and definitely don't want, unless I started doing a lot of highway driving. Have enough trouble now finding a parking spot with the Mazda.

Though for a mill, think I'd just buy 50 tw of beachfront, and put a shack there for chilling surfside, instead of wasting on a vehicle that takes me from point A to B.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

The new SUVs may be based on the pick-up chassis, but on my Pajero Sport (the newest type) there are no plate/flat springs! It is regular shock absorbers inside coiled springs. And I have been on long drives from Hua Hin up north and south and imho it is very nice to drive indeed. Even better after I got 50 more HP and 110 more nm after installing a Racechip GTS :D :thumb:
YNWA
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

But still have to crawl along at 90 - 100 kph ....
Groodman

Post by Groodman »

Same as in the UK the one I was driving.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Am I getting this correct the MP Sport is actually cheaper here than in the UK ???

TH .. ฿1.3 - ฿1.53 Million
UK .. 1,649,946.05 THB
USA..1,234,375.00 THB

WTF
My Mazda2 is about 20-25 % cheaper in the USA, and better made, as I think it comes from Japan or USA. Couldn't sell this POS sold here in the US.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

huahin4ever wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:13 pm The new SUVs may be based on the pick-up chassis, but on my Pajero Sport (the newest type) there are no plate/flat springs! It is regular shock absorbers inside coiled springs. And I have been on long drives from Hua Hin up north and south and imho it is very nice to drive indeed. Even better after I got 50 more HP and 110 more nm after installing a Racechip GTS :D :thumb:
My Pajero is getting on a bit (2014) but also doesn't have leaf spring suspension.

The only downside I've found is the translation from Spanish........ Wanker!
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

I think the only SUVs based on s truck with the lousy suspension are the big ones like Fortuner and similar.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

HHTel wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:32 pmThe only downside I've found is the translation from Spanish........ Wanker!
And henceforth we will refer to said car as the SHOGUN!
:laugh:
GN.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

RCer wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:43 pm I think the only SUVs based on s truck with the lousy suspension are the big ones like Fortuner and similar.
I think you'll find that the Pajero and Fortuner are more than 'similar'.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:29 pm
RCer wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:43 pm I think the only SUVs based on s truck with the lousy suspension are the big ones like Fortuner and similar.
I think you'll find that the Pajero and Fortuner are more than 'similar'.
I think if you go back three models, the Fortuner had leaf spring suspension, but that largely affected the comfort rather than safety.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I believe the Fortuner changed to a multi link rear suspension with the 2012 model. The earlier ones were just built on a Hilux frame, as was the Sportrider before it. But even with the new suspension, they retained rear drum brakes, accept for the Australian market.

The best thing that any Toyota vehicle has going for it is the extensive dealer network.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!