Road Markings - Help Please

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Road Markings - Help Please

Post by Big Boy »

Some road markings have appeared on the road leading to my Soi. and I haven't got a clue what they mean. I've been driving this road for 6 years now, and am not aware of any new dangers.

The markings are sets of 4 red lines about 10' apart, going half way across the road. One set of 4 lines near a 7-11 (same side of road as 7-11), and a set of lines at the end of my Soi (same side as the turning into my Soi).

Does anybody know what they mean please?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Road Markings - Help Please

Post by Nereus »

Does anybody know what they mean please?
Dried blood from a splattered motorsai rider? :rasta:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Post by buksida »

A photo would help :idea:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'll try the dash cam - give me a few minutes.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, here's the dashcam footage. I've included both sets of lines, and whilst putting the video together, was wondering if it was some sort of warning that a school is ahead. If that's it, is this a local Hua Hin warning, or have I been driving around with my eyes closed?

Another interesting feature on the video is the zebra crossing that only goes part way across the road. This is a real 'gold at the end of the rainbow' crossing. The gap they haven't painted is where the noodle and meatball wagon sit, so at times, kids are queuing on the crossing to get served - TIT.

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

They are probably some local genius's form of caution warnings. But while the hazardous parking shown in the video is allowed to continue, what the hell is the point!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I guess this re-enforces an earlier thread of mine. There are internationally recognised road warnings, but for some reason, Hua Hin invents its own.

Points 41; Position 18
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

I walk that route every morning and spotted them yesterday. I just assumed that they were for some new 'No Parking' zones, other than that "Not a clue" :roll: :roll:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

LOL - only in Thailand :laugh:

Somebody paints a red line on the road, and we have to guess what it's for :? . I guess I (and everybody else on here :wink: ) really need to watch that video next time we renew our driving licences. In the meantime, do what the Thais do - ignore it.

Points 41; Position 18
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Nereus wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:01 pm They are probably some local genius's form of caution warnings.
This.

I've seen similar markings and have always taken them to mean 'be careful' and/or 'slow down.' That's just a guess though - as BB mentions, they're not any kind of recognised road making.

The one that puzzles me though, is where they have put some blue and some red sections of road surfacing along the canal road. I've been trying to find a logic and consistency to them (yes I know, a futile pursuit) but can't find one. Sometimes they're before breaks in the central median strip where you can do a u-turn and sometimes they're as you approach a set of traffic lights. Again, I think they're supposed to be some kind of caution marking but there seems to be neither rhyme nor reason to them.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Possibly prepping for some digging........and 'where to or not'
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

GHW - the blue painted lanes on the canal road are u-turn indications. Also on the canal road, the red paint at traffic lights is where they originally had pedestrian crossings but painted them out. At least that's my theory
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

I seem to remember there being markings like this by the school on the right-hand side of the road when going up Soi 88, just past the French butcher’s shop. They were replaced with speed humps, such as they were, when the new drainage was put in and the road resurfaced this past year or so.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Re: RE: Re: Road Markings - Help Please

Post by Thailightzone »

Big Boy wrote:OK, here's the dashcam footage. I've included both sets of lines, and whilst putting the video together, was wondering if it was some sort of warning that a school is ahead. If that's it, is this a local Hua Hin warning, or have I been driving around with my eyes closed?

Another interesting feature on the video is the zebra crossing that only goes part way across the road. This is a real 'gold at the end of the rainbow' crossing. The gap they haven't painted is where the noodle and meatball wagon sit, so at times, kids are queuing on the crossing to get served - TIT.

So you are the blue ranger.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

hhinner wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:20 pm GHW - the blue painted lanes on the canal road are u-turn indications.
That's what I thought at first, but then I noticed they had some blue sections where these isn't a u-turn (IIRC).