New Year's Vehicle Accidents - 2018

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
PeteC

New Year's Vehicle Accidents - 2018

Post by PeteC »

Statistics should start coming in for day #1 (Dec.28) of the "seven deadly days" this morning. Stay tuned......
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: New Year's Vehicle Accidents - 2018

Post by Nereus »

And so it starts:

41 die on first 'dangerous day'

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... gerous-day

Forty-one people were killed and 500 injured on the first of the "seven dangerous days" of New Year holiday travel on the country's roads, officials said on Friday.

The 477 accidents recorded on Thursday compared with 524 accidents that resulted in 42 deaths and 565 injuries on the first day of the year-end travel period 12 months ago.

Officials estimate that 2.5 million people and 750,000 vehicles left Bangkok on Thursday for destinations across the country, Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith said.

Chiang Mai recorded the highest number of accidents with 23 and injured people with 25 while Si Sa Ket had a nation-leading six deaths on Thursday.

The most common cause of road accidents (42.8%) was drink-driving, followed by speeding (26%). Motorcycles were involved in 73.6% of the accidents.

The most common time for accidents was between 4pm and 8pm. Officials said 52.5% of those killed and injured were of working age.

The Transport Ministry said this week that it aimed to reduce fatalities this year by at least 5% from the 487 recorded during the "seven dangerous days" a year ago.

Thailand has the world's second-worst road fatality rate per 100,000 population, behind only Libya, according to a World Health Organization study.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

The way they drive who's shocked
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm sure after the recent publicity, the figures will read as an improvement regardless of reality. A bit like TAT's tourism figures.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Looking at the figures..one aspect that never gets mentioned (or even considered) is all the 1000's of drivers that will not turn on their lights till it's pitch black..! :banghead:
Every evening (& mornings too) if a driver can see where he's going the lights are off..not 1 of them ever thinks that other drivers have blacked-out glass & will not see him driving 'unlit'..Yet motorcycles ride without headlights (normally at weekends when they've taken the alternator coil out for more power/speed), Pick-ups speed into town well above the new 50kph limit with no lights on, then wonder why there was a big smash.. :banghead: :banghead:
(But we all know 10/20 yrs from now this scenario will be just the same :? )
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

I looked at the numbers some years,and if I remember correct,the daily death and accident is the same or higher, as the 7 deadliest day ,songkran and whatever holydays they always warned you about .

as for the light on cars,motorbike or anything ,I try to avoid to drive after the sun goes down in area where there is no lights on the road.

:cheers: :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

bsdk1960 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:00 am I looked at the numbers some years,and if I remember correct,the daily death and accident is the same or higher, as the 7 deadliest day ,songkran and whatever holydays they always warned you about .

as for the light on cars,motorbike or anything ,I try to avoid to drive after the sun goes down in area where there is no lights on the road.

:cheers: :cheers:
Yes, you are correct. Any day of the year has numbers close to what is published for New Year and Songkran. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

phppjBeOeAM.jpg
phppjBeOeAM.jpg (39.88 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

They don't turn on their lights because:
1. The bulb that comes with the vehicle lasts forever - no need to check. Ditto brake light.
2. Things are put in the basket in front of the motorsai, obscuring the headlight. The driver doesn't notice, as it either shines in his face, so he knows it's on, or.. see point #1
3. For newer cars and pickups, especially those with hid bulbs - the cost of the replacement is so high (5,000 baht, ask me how I know) they just ignore it and expect everyone else to have x-ray and night vision and see them.

Other factors:
- coloured/tinted headlight bulbs that look nice but are actually less efficient than the normal halogen ones. Usually found at the night market stalls.
- headlight cluster bling - now these cost a lot and look nice, but actually degrade the performance of the lights. Especially the LED ones
- badly adjusted headlights - they'll spot ufos first..
Okay, okay.. point made..

Anyway, have a happy and safe new year all. I'm camped at home and not going anywhere this year.
วินเชนท์
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

I wonder how many accidents are due to drivers being out of their heads on drugs. :rasta:

Probably they can be lumped in with the drunk category, as their probably high on both anyway.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... ger-period

phpCC45UxPM.jpg
phpCC45UxPM.jpg (53 KiB) Viewed 948 times

As you can see the numbers are changing for previous days as we go along. I'm assuming some injuries are now deaths.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... ger-period

phpTmQjCLPM.jpg
phpTmQjCLPM.jpg (58.9 KiB) Viewed 773 times
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Police were out in force in Soi 65 last night and checking for drunk drivers. I must add they were Very polite and insisted on shaking my hand and taking my photograph. Incidentally I passed the test. The fail level here is 50 this compares with 35 in England and 22 in Scotland.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm being thick, sorry :oops: but what is 50? The percentage of those tested? Did you have to blow in a bag, and the reading needs to be higher than 50?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Yes, it is a strange way of quoting it.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/questions ... -48873.php

Scotland cuts drink-drive alcohol limit.

A new law has come into force which makes the legal drink-drive limit in Scotland lower than elsewhere in the UK.
The change reduces the legal alcohol limit from 80mg to 50mg in every 100ml of blood.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!