Hua Hin's most dangerous pedestrian crossing

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
SPONSORS: Bike Rental Hua Hin
HHTel
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3328
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:44 pm

Re: Hua Hin's most dangerous pedestrian crossing

Post by HHTel » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:24 am

But before they save your life, they'd need to know who is paying the bill!!

oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3299
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:51 pm

Re: Hua Hin's most dangerous pedestrian crossing

Post by oakdale160 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:30 am

oh yes part of the resuscitation pricess is a walletectomy.

User avatar
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Posts: 3151
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:53 pm
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......
Contact:

Re: Hua Hin's most dangerous pedestrian crossing

Post by Terry » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:45 am

oakdale160 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:21 am
If you are knocked down on the crossing at BKK Hospital--there is bad news and good news-- Bad news, you have sustained terrible injuries--Good news--- You are 50m from the E.R.
Only if you still have any money in your wallet.............

User avatar
StevePIraq
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2479
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:21 pm
Location: Ting Tong Land

Re: Hua Hin's most dangerous pedestrian crossing

Post by StevePIraq » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:28 pm

oakdale160 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:48 am
Laws in Thai are like the 10 commandments in Christianity--statements of how things would be in a perfect society.
But in real life --------
Just like the 5 precepts of Buddhism, what a joke in Ting Tong Land
1.I undertake the training rule to abstain from killing.
2.I undertake the training rule to abstain from taking what is not given.
3.I undertake the training rule to avoid sexual misconduct.
4.I undertake the training rule to abstain from false speech.
5.I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to carelessness.

Off topic I know
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali

Pleng
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2683
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:04 am
Location: Hua Hin

Re: Hua Hin's most dangerous pedestrian crossing

Post by Pleng » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:13 pm

While there are undoubtedly plenty of people who just blast through these crossings thinking "red light doesn't count for me", there's an altogether bigger problem... When the traffic is light you see some of the cars coming through at high speeds, making stopping for the traffic lights once they've been noticed a very difficult preposition. And why? Because it's a highway - that's why! You don't expect to see pedestrian crossings in the middle of a highway. The only time you generally tend to find traffic lights on highways are at junctions; and junctions are usually signposted well in advance. Are there any signposts indicating that there are traffic lights coming up? No.

In the first couple of months after the Bluport lights went up, even knowing they were there, I would sometimes get caught out by them and be put into a situation where I had to either brake heavily or simply run the red light (depending on what was behind me and if there was anybody on the crossing); so what hope would a down-for-the-weekend or even a passing-through-hua-hin-on-the-way-to-somewhere-else driver have?

The biggest problem is that these crossing lights provide a false sense of security to unsuspecting tourists, and I can't help but wonder if they create more problems than they solve. There have been a number of incidents at the BluPort one, and I just feel that if lights hadn't been there then people would have either used the footbridge, or been far more cautious crossing the highway in the first place.

handdrummer
Guru
Guru
Posts: 961
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:58 am

Re: Hua Hin's most dangerous pedestrian crossing

Post by handdrummer » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:07 pm

people only use the footbridge if it ends exactly in front of where they want to go. not many use the footbridge near market village, so there's enough blame and lack of responsibility to go around.

hhinner
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1494
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: RE: Re: Hua Hin's most dangerous pedestrian crossing

Post by hhinner » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:23 pm

Pleng wrote:While there are undoubtedly plenty of people who just blast through these crossings thinking "red light doesn't count for me", there's an altogether bigger problem... When the traffic is light you see some of the cars coming through at high speeds, making stopping for the traffic lights once they've been noticed a very difficult preposition. And why? Because it's a highway - that's why! You don't expect to see pedestrian crossings in the middle of a highway. The only time you generally tend to find traffic lights on highways are at junctions; and junctions are usually signposted well in advance. Are there any signposts indicating that there are traffic lights coming up? No.

In the first couple of months after the Bluport lights went up, even knowing they were there, I would sometimes get caught out by them and be put into a situation where I had to either brake heavily or simply run the red light (depending on what was behind me and if there was anybody on the crossing); so what hope would a down-for-the-weekend or even a passing-through-hua-hin-on-the-way-to-somewhere-else driver have?

The biggest problem is that these crossing lights provide a false sense of security to unsuspecting tourists, and I can't help but wonder if they create more problems than they solve. There have been a number of incidents at the BluPort one, and I just feel that if lights hadn't been there then people would have either used the footbridge, or been far more cautious crossing the highway in the first place.
So this should be a money maker for the traffic "police". What's the speed limit? 50 or 60 around there. Enforce the limit and stopping wouldn't be a problem. Even mild speed bumps 100 metres before the crossing would slow the speeders down.

User avatar
Big Boy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 31656
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:36 pm
Location: Bon Kai

Re: Hua Hin's most dangerous pedestrian crossing

Post by Big Boy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:31 pm

Do you really think, if people can't see traffic lights hung well above the road that they'll notice speed bumps on the road before they feel them? Didn't we have a thread on here a while ago stating in more modern cars, if you go fast enough, you don't notice speed bumps?
League 1 - Gillingham....5 Plymouth Argyle....2 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 68; Position 7

hhinner
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1494
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: Hua Hin's most dangerous pedestrian crossing

Post by hhinner » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:53 pm

Depends on the style of speed bump. Use other traffic calming measures if necessary. Either have cars speeding though town or have proper speed limit enforcement. Or make the road impossible to speed on.

They could also put safety cameras on the lights - to catch speeding or jumping the red or both.

The whole stretch of Phetchkasem from Makro in the North to Soi 112 (?) in the South is a 60 and 50 limits, but it's not enforced. Speed cameras would make a fortune.

hhinner
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1494
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: Hua Hin's most dangerous pedestrian crossing

Post by hhinner » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:58 pm

They'd rather spend millions on stupid PR stunts like the crossing by the market than use tried and tested enforcement and deterrence methods.

europtimiste
Guru
Guru
Posts: 698
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: Hua Hin's most dangerous pedestrian crossing

Post by europtimiste » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:28 pm

In Europe and some western countries, pedestrians are not anymore able to look at traffic before crossing. They are like robots: green : GO. red: WAIT. If you use your eyes and your brain, there is not any dangerous pedestrian crossing.
You should go to Vietnam and learn how to cross a road without any pedestrian crossing and without any traffic lights.

User avatar
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 am

Re: Hua Hin's most dangerous pedestrian crossing

Post by 404cameljockey » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:25 am

europtimiste wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:28 pm
In Europe and some western countries, pedestrians are not anymore able to look at traffic before crossing. They are like robots: green : GO. red: WAIT. If you use your eyes and your brain, there is not any dangerous pedestrian crossing.
You should go to Vietnam and learn how to cross a road without any pedestrian crossing and without any traffic lights.
Do we already have the most stupid forum comment of 2018? Advocating jaywalking across Europe (and some western countries, lol).

User avatar
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru
Posts: 916
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:03 pm

Re: Hua Hin's most dangerous pedestrian crossing

Post by J.J.B. » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:36 pm

404cameljockey wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:25 am
europtimiste wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:28 pm
In Europe and some western countries, pedestrians are not anymore able to look at traffic before crossing. They are like robots: green : GO. red: WAIT. If you use your eyes and your brain, there is not any dangerous pedestrian crossing.
You should go to Vietnam and learn how to cross a road without any pedestrian crossing and without any traffic lights.
Do we already have the most stupid forum comment of 2018? Advocating jaywalking across Europe (and some western countries, lol).
I know that Europtimiste’s input can be challenging at times although I fail to see how this is a ‘stupid’ comment. I’m also at a loss to see how it condones ‘jaywalking across Europe’.

The point is well made that road crossings, particularly in countries where rules of the road are generally abided by, can provide a false sense of security, especially for the current crop of “podestrians” who are glued to their smart phones.

I once spent a flight next to a risk assessor who worked for an insurance company. It was eye-opening to learn about the way humans assess risk and try to mitigate it.

Anyway, I believe Europtimiste has a valid point on this occasion and the derision is not warranted.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde

HHTel
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3328
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:44 pm

Re: Hua Hin's most dangerous pedestrian crossing

Post by HHTel » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:25 pm

I agree with you JJB. Although it pains me to say so, Europrat's post was a sensible one!...... this time.

User avatar
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 am

Re: Hua Hin's most dangerous pedestrian crossing

Post by 404cameljockey » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:51 pm

I disagree with you both. Too say there is never any danger in crossing any road so long as you look is ludicrous. So why on earth are there pedestrian crossings (they are to focus drivers minds and/or stop the traffic)? So you really do believe they are a waste of taxpayers' money> Don't say 'yes, in Thailand', he's talking about Europe and whatever he means by 'and some western countries'.

I'm afraid there are many places in the world where it's necessary to stop the traffic before crossing. Ever been to the West End of London? Milan? Ummm, Tokyo? Even crossing Petchkasem Road at Soi 80 can be tricky at the weekend in flip flops (Crocs wearers can get squashed, I'm OK with that). And to say that everyone is watching their mobile while they cross is just beyond my understanding. It's just unthinking repetition of vague and factually unsupported grumpy old person assumptions.

"Take away the crossings to make people gamble with their lives, that'll wake them up..." *rolls eyes.

He is saying you should cross anywhere, ignoring the places which have been designated as the safest to cross. Yes, we all know that in Vietnam you practically close your eyes and walk slowly across allowing motorised road users to go around you, and that's not the best way, trust me.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests