Revolutionary Road Crossing for Hua Hin

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Revolutionary Road Crossing for Hua Hin

Post by Big Boy »

This is my translation, so it might contain inaccuracies :oops:

A revolutionary pedestrian crossing is going to be installed/trialled for the first time in Thailand outside Chatchai Market next month.

It is solar powered and will illuminate to warn drivers when somebody is on the crossing.
Credit: Kulsawek Sawekwannakorn
Credit: Kulsawek Sawekwannakorn
Thoughts..........

I'm not sure I'd trust drivers to stop because a light comes on here in Thailand. I certainly won't be using it until proved safe :shock:
If people ignore red lights, why are they going to stop for this baby,

Thai text in case somebody wants to provide a corrected translation:
ใช้งานเป็นแห่งแรกในประเทศไทย..ที่เมืองหัวหิน ครับ
ราวต้นเดือนตุลาคมนี้ กรมทางหลวงจะติดตั้งทางม้าลายอัจฉริยะ ที่หน้าตลาดฉัตรไชย ถนนเพชรเกษม เขตเทศบาลเมืองหัวหิน **นำร่องเป็นแห่งแรกของประเทศไทย.. มีไฟส่องทางม้าลายช่วยให้ทั้งรถและคนข้ามมองเห็นชัดตลอดทั้งคืนจากแผงโซล่าเซล ใช้เวลาติดตั้ง 3-4 วัน หากใช้ได้ผลดีก็จะนำไปติดตั้งจังหวัดอื่นที่มีการจราจรคับคั่งอีกหลายหมื่นจุดครับ
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
robcar
Professional
Professional

Re: Revolutionary Road Crossing for Hua Hin

Post by robcar »

Taken from my translation software:-
The first in Thailand .. in Hua Hin
early October. Department of Highways will install intelligent crosswalk. At Chat Chai Market, Petchkasem Road, Hua Hin Municipality ** The first pilot of Thailand .. There is a cross street light that allows both the car and the cross to see clearly all night from the solar panel. Take 3-4 days to install if it works well, it will be installed to other provinces that have many traffic jammed tens of thousands.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

I think I would rather they put in a zip wire for crossing the road. Much safer than that crossing!
Most Thais have no idea what a red light means.
:duck:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

robcar wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:25 pm Taken from my translation software:-
The first in Thailand .. in Hua Hin
early October. Department of Highways will install intelligent crosswalk. At Chat Chai Market, Petchkasem Road, Hua Hin Municipality ** The first pilot of Thailand .. There is a cross street light that allows both the car and the cross to see clearly all night from the solar panel. Take 3-4 days to install if it works well, it will be installed to other provinces that have many traffic jammed tens of thousands.
Yes, similar to what I saw. I wonder what yardstick they'll use to measure success.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Better idea. :neener:

johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

Driving in Thailand is a bit like playing roulette , red lights don't necessarily mean stop as green lights don't mean go, also never understood why they paint them zebra crossings on the roads, I never seen anyone taking notice of them even when pedestrians are on them . On the bright side it keeps you alert and focused which is good for keeping us retirees old brains from vegetating
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Am I missing something here - Chatchai market? On the Phetkasem Road? Where the current crossing is just north of the market if heading north? Where there is often congestion because of traffic waiting for the lights on both sides of the road?

I can't think of a more illogical place to trial this new fangled solar light crossing. If for no other reason, not much sun will get through to power the lights and most drivers won't be able to see the new lights in any case as they'll be blocked by all the cars in front!

They should pilot them somewhere less busy!
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Driving in Thailand is not like playing roulette; it's more like poker where the deck is stacked against you.
albaker

Post by albaker »

johnjar wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:58 pm Driving in Thailand is a bit like playing roulette , red lights don't necessarily mean stop as green lights don't mean go, also never understood why they paint them zebra crossings on the roads, I never seen anyone taking notice of them even when pedestrians are on them . On the bright side it keeps you alert and focused which is good for keeping us retirees old brains from vegetating
Zebra crossings are a complete waste of time in Thailand it seems drivers not aware or perhaps not noticing them .
Best one I have ever seen is one for disabled/wheelchair users in Pattaya outside the police station and cars parked there , police seemed to think it funny when brought to their attention .
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

The lights could be nice 'catwalk' or runway for working models to show off their legs but not faces. could be enhanced with upward ventilation fans for that skirt lift effect :duck:
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Firstly I feel the word "revolutionary" is thrown around far too easily these days. Secondly, I worry that anything that makes people feel safer crossing the road here could well be counter-productive to preventing RTAs
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

More money wasted when it could have been spent on driver training.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Pleng wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:02 pm Firstly I feel the word "revolutionary" is thrown around far too easily these days. Secondly, I worry that anything that makes people feel safer crossing the road here could well be counter-productive to preventing RTAs
Quite right, Pleng. Perhaps better served by an ”evolutionary” crossing based on the principle of survival of the fittest.
:duck:
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I agree with caller. How are they going to measure success on a section of road where most of the time the traffic isn't moving but waiting for the lights to change!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Someone go give it a try.... :D Pete :cheers:

‘Smart crosswalk’ project kicks off in Hua Hin
Breaking News October 04, 2017 10:01
By The Nation http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30328411

The Highway Department along with a private firm have installed solar-cell lamps on a pedestrian crossing at the Hua Hin Market as part of the “smart crosswalk” project for 14 southern provinces.

Apichart Charnthanyakorn, director of Prachuap Khiri Khan Highway office, led some 20 workers from the East Asia Traffic Co Ltd to install 32 road-embedded solar-cell lamps on the Phetkasem Road pedestrian crossing at the Hua Hin market.

Apichart said the lamps would reflect the white strips of the crossing for motorists to see at night so that they could slow down. The battery would last 12 hours.

Apichart said the lamps would be connected to traffic lights at crossings and the lamps would be turned on when pedestrians see the signal to cross the road.

He said each lamp cost Bt100,000 and they were embedded at the edges of white strips, about 1.2 metres apart. Each lamp will last five years.

The Hua Hin market was chosen for the trial because the night market is a key tourism landmark, he added.

He said the installation at the Hua Hin market was on a trial basis. If it proved successful, more would be installed along Phetkasem Road in 14 southern provinces.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source