Hundreds of city cops fail traffic test

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Hundreds of city cops fail traffic test

Post by Big Boy »

About 370 traffic police officers, or 10% of officers in the capital, have been banned from issuing infringement notices after they failed a test on traffic laws, according to the Metropolitan Police Bureau.

Full story: Bangkok Post

Thoughts............ Have you ever watched traffic police after a traffic stop is closed? It is common for one or more of them to jump on their motorcycles without a helmet, and drive off.

When traffic is stopped because there is a dignitary in town, many police are in No.1 uniform, which doesn't include a helmet. When the dignitary has passed through, they jump on their bikes and ride in their No. 1 uniform :?

Nobody in Thailand seems to want the law, so why don't they scrap it? The enforcers must feel stupid having to stand in the sunshine, warning abusers.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Hundreds of city cops fail traffic test

Post by HHTel »

This is a direct repeat of the same exercise some years ago. Then 12% of BKK traffic cops failed the test and the outcome was the same. They were not allowed to issue tickets until they had resit and passed.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

So the situation has improved :?

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

It is the simple result of unqualified people doing a job they have to pay to get.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

By knowing more laws would they make any more money? There are plenty of targets driving around without helmets, licences and current tax so no need to look for more.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

hhinner wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:09 pm There are plenty of targets driving around without helmets, licences and current tax so no need to look for more.
Or maybe look for the more dangerous drivers on the wrong side of the road, going the wrong way around roundabouts, driving the wrong way up one-way streets etc.

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:18 pm
hhinner wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:09 pm There are plenty of targets driving around without helmets, licences and current tax so no need to look for more.
Or maybe look for the more dangerous drivers on the wrong side of the road, going the wrong way around roundabouts, driving the wrong way up one-way streets etc.
But for that you'd need patrols to enforce moving violations and real police work. Easier to set up a police checkpoint and collect the fines on the way through.

There is almost a zero chance of you being caught for anything other than helmets and paperwork.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

No surprise what can you expect from Thais ? To have a lazy life and money, only 2 choices: 1- being a cop, 2- being a monk.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Wots your problem, Big Boy. A road is a place where you can be "me first"!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: Hundreds of city cops fail traffic test

Post by hhinner »

HHTel wrote:
Big Boy wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:18 pm
But for that you'd need patrols to enforce moving violations and real police work. Easier to set up a police checkpoint and collect the fines on the way through.

There is almost a zero chance of you being caught for anything other than helmets and paperwork.
"... and real police work." Indeed they do.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've been thinking about this, and how helpful it would be if they published questions and correct answers. We might all learn something. It seems a lot of the failures were about new legislation. I don't remember hearing of any changes to traffic law in the 5 years I've lived here, so my knowledge must be just as lacking.

If we don't know the law, how can we be expected to comply?

Points 41; Position 18
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:15 am I've been thinking about this, and how helpful it would be if they published questions and correct answers. We might all learn something. It seems a lot of the failures were about new legislation. I don't remember hearing of any changes to traffic law in the 5 years I've lived here, so my knowledge must be just as lacking.

If we don't know the law, how can we be expected to comply?
You know that olde saw: "ignorance of the law is no excuse." or are you just taking the piss?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, I'm serious. If the law keepers are failing because they don't know new legislation, what chance do we have of complying? I know many think it's mandatory in Thailand, but I don't personally go out of my way to break the laws of the land.

Points 41; Position 18
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

hhinner wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:09 pm By knowing more laws would they make any more money? There are plenty of targets driving around without helmets, licences and current tax so no need to look for more.
Agree traffic violation fines is the best source of revenue , its the same all over world :)