Aggressive Songthaew Drivers

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
lomuamart

Aggressive Songthaew Drivers

Post by lomuamart »

I've been using the songthaews regularly for years, especially the green one.
Years ago, they just used to putter about along Petchkasem. No-one seemed to be in a hurry and everything was relaxed.
However, over the past few years, I've noticed that some of the drivers are more aggressive, particularly with speed and others are just plain surly. Most are still OK but occasionally it's not a very relaxing ride.
This morning, got one from the centre of town up to Tavimook Driving Range and the woman was a nutcase. I swear she was doing in excess of 90 kph whenever she could and weaving in and out of traffic like a lunatic. Others in the songthaew looked quite concerned as well.
As said, this isn't anything new and I've meant to post on this before and it does only seem to affect a small number of the drivers but has anyone else experienced this either on the green route or any of the others?
buksida

Re: Aggressive Songthaew Drivers

Post by buksida »

I think the levels of traffic in Hua Hin today compared to years ago has made anyone that gets behind the wheel more aggressive.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Songthaews might have been great back-in-the day and obviously they give cheap transport to many, but my issue with them now under the current road conditions is that they are basically a death trap if anything goes south and the drivers are, well, less than ideal on a few fronts imo.

I gave up public transport here long ago, just too risky tbh.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

My views are:

Songthaew drivers are mostly heavily sedated and totally unaware of their surroundings, and oblivious to the fact that there are in fact other people on the roads.

Tuk-Tuk drivers are a rip-off bunch, but also a happy bunch who generally like to live life in the fast lane.

Motorcycle taxis are in fact elite traffic police, offering transport to generate a secondary income. Arrogant, rude, and full of themselves, quite often over the drink limit as well. Trust me, I have one in the family. Of course, they are obviously not the same, but many of the motorcycle taxis are guilty of this, at least here in Hua-Hin.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Yes, if I'm coming back home late from town, I never use a motorcycle taxi any more - I've normally had a few beers anyway.
A tuk tuk is only 100 THB and a motorcycle taxi will always try and take me for at least 60. I know which is safer.