Electric Vehicles (EV) Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Re: Electric Cars

Post by RCer »

oakdale160 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:01 am Could you explain that, why did a market for any excess power that you generated, kill home generation, I thought it would encourage it.
As usual, they regulated and taxed it to death.

Standards for the interface equipment.
Power had to be bought even if they didn't need it.
Price paid was higher than the cost of generating it.
Tax incentive to install solar/wind equipment at the home and then taxed the homeowner for making a buck off it.

Regulated where the panels etc could be installed so as not to make an eyesore for others.

To name a few.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Interesting clip as I'm sure excess solar to battery storage could be routed to a separate system for the express purpose of charging (or partially charging) your car overnight. Pete :cheers:

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

To get back to the subject of electric cars, I can't see them replacing regular vehicles here in Thailand unless they are fitted with some sort of smoke machine that pumps outs clouds of black smoke every time to pull away. What point is there is having a vehicle if it can't have a big exhaust pipe and produce huge amounts of smoke?
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Takiap wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:05 am To get back to the subject of electric cars, I can't see them replacing regular vehicles here in Thailand unless they are fitted with some sort of smoke machine that pumps outs clouds of black smoke every time to pull away. What point is there is having a vehicle if it can't have a big exhaust pipe and produce huge amounts of smoke?
What does a slam against Thailand have to do with electric cars?
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Yes, RCer--who would want a quiet car.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Interesting clip as I'm sure excess solar to battery storage could be routed to a separate system for the express purpose of charging (or partially charging) your car overnight. Pete
This thread is getting away from the subject, I think that there is a Solar thread someplace. But the whole idea with modern systems is a seamless transition from Solar to consumer. Once set up correctly any electric charger would be plugged into an outlet just as a refrigerator or any other appliance is. The BIG advance is in storage batteries, not collecting solar energy per se.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

When the German postal service couldn't find a suitable electric delivery van, they decided to start making their own:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ectric-car
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The following is one thread about Solar Energy:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23797
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

What became of the electric milk delivery vehicles that used to scoot around in the UK?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Nereus wrote:What became of the electric milk delivery vehicles that used to scoot around in the UK?
Some still exist, but they are fairly rare due to the switch from home delivery to supermarket shopping. As a young lad some 50 odd years ago, I had a Saturday job helping the bread delivery man in a van which was also electric - it would do a full 8 hour day on one charge although I doubt the total distance covered was much more than 30 miles. With the advances in battery technology I'm sure there must be considerable scope for greater use of electric vehicles for shorter distance commercial use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

RCer wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:03 am As usual, they regulated and taxed it to death.

Standards for the interface equipment.
Agreed. I hate that any light, plug or socket sold in the US will fit its corresponding piece. I want to modify things before they'll work.
RCer wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:03 am Power had to be bought even if they didn't need it.
Agreed. Everyone knows electric utilities are idle much of the time because they have massive overcapacity and most customers use electricity infrequently. And when those ungrateful customers do draw current, they use so little.
RCer wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:03 am Price paid was higher than the cost of generating it.
Just who do customers think they are - generators of electricity? And don't they know that utility rates should only be set by politicians behind closed doors who receive campaign funding from utilty companies? What's that you say... 'market forces'? There is no market in electricity. The utility companies have the power to treat their customers any way they wish.
RCer wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:03 am Tax incentive to install solar/wind equipment at the home and then taxed the homeowner for making a buck off it.
Agreed. If home solar power was too expensive to ever get off the ground without incentives it should have been allowed to die a quick death. And of course, income is never taxed... uh, oops, that was my meds speaking. Sometimes I forget I don't live in utopia, or in the US before personal income was taxed.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

As a young lad some 50 odd years ago, I had a Saturday job helping the bread delivery man in a van which was also electric
As a young man I grew up on a farm many more years ago than that! I remember going to stay with an aunty in a city and the bread man, and the ice man, used to have a horse drawn van. Much better, apart from the exhaust pollution!

The horse knew the round as well as the vendors did, and would stop and start where the deliveries were needed without being told. I guess at night the horse was "plugged into" his stable, and got recharged whether or not the owner was connected to any electric grid. :thumb:
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

RCer wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:17 am
Takiap wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:05 am To get back to the subject of electric cars, I can't see them replacing regular vehicles here in Thailand unless they are fitted with some sort of smoke machine that pumps outs clouds of black smoke every time to pull away. What point is there is having a vehicle if it can't have a big exhaust pipe and produce huge amounts of smoke?
What does a slam against Thailand have to do with electric cars?
:roll: :roll: :roll: My apologies General
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

So there will be no more ICE cars in the UK in 2040, Panic,panic---got to get it sorted and only 23 years to do so.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

23 years is NOT a long period to upgrade power networks and generation capacity, plans have to be made and evaluated, funding allocated and only then does the detail work start. I have been involved in this for most of my adult life and it does not happen over night.
An example of this is the UK's Hinkley Point C power plant, approval has recently been given to proceed however it was first proposed in 2008. Given that projections are that 10 of these will be needed by 2030 you can easily see the difficulties.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali