Electric Vehicles (EV) Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
PeteC

Electric Vehicles (EV) Thread

Post by PeteC »

Following on from the UK 2040 thread......

What do you do with a used electric car when the batteries can no longer hold a charge? I would imagine the concept of a "trade in" will take on a new meaning and the cost of all new batteries may mean the entire car is sold for scrap as an alternative.

Battery technology is ever advancing and hopefully battery life will follow to match the expected life of the car frame/suspension etc. It would be nice to think you could get 20 years out of a model you really like, with perhaps a $3,000 battery change out mid-life. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Re: Electric Cars

Post by pharvey »

I don't think there's any doubt that with the UK's, France's and Indias intentions to ban "new" petrol and diesel cars and vans, battery technology will move forward in leaps and bounds in the comming years. We'll move away from Lithium-ion batteries due to their limitations (and tendancy to explode :roll: ) and on to "Solid-state" batteries.

Panosonic are moving in this direction and Elon Musk (Tesla founder) who has built/is building the world's largest battery production plant is also looking at "innovations"..... and let's be fair, he doesn't have a bad track record! :D

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

One aspect not being discussed in regard to the potential growth in electric vehicles including cars, vans and trucks is the impact this will have on national power networks, plus the additional infrastructure required in hotels and other accommodation. Will hotels have to install power and metering in all parking bays, will multistory car parks have to do the same. Whilst plugging in one car at your home will have little impact imagine entire cities all charging cars at night, the power networks will collapse unless substantial investment and improvements are made.
I work in the power industry and most countries are already struggling to cope with increasing power consumption. Power networks take years to be improved and I don't see much consideration of this at the moment.
For me the best option for a long time to come is Hybrid vehicles.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

StevePIraq wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:38 pm One aspect not being discussed in regard to the potential growth in electric vehicles including cars, vans and trucks is the impact this will have on national power networks, plus the additional infrastructure required in hotels and other accommodation. Will hotels have to install power and metering in all parking bays, will multistory car parks have to do the same. Whilst plugging in one car at your home will have little impact imagine entire cities all charging cars at night, the power networks will collapse unless substantial investment and improvements are made.
I work in the power industry and most countries are already struggling to cope with increasing power consumption. Power networks take years to be improved and I don't see much consideration of this at the moment.
For me the best option for a long time to come is Hybrid vehicles.
My view as well. Plus the additional load governments will put on taxpayers because we all know they governments can't keep their fingers out of a still cooking pie.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Maybe this thread should be combined with the one about the UK proposed 2040 ban.

What many do not understand is it is not just building new base load power plants which take around 10 years once approval is given, but also improving the entire network from transmission lines, substations and underground cabling, to cope with the additional demand. Who is going to fund that? In the UK it would cost billions, what about countries like the USA which is so much bigger.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Will Thailand's Auto industry adapt in time not to lose out? Or will the Japanese just let Thailand build "legacy" vehicles for the non-electric world?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

maybe solar charging could be a possibility?
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

handdrummer wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:20 pm maybe solar charging could be a possibility?
Where, here? Maybe safe drinking water too.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Solar charging of cars is a reality. individual home units are now functioning in the US. A municipality in Canada has set up a Solar based charging station too.
There are two areas that need improvement 1Capacity of batteries 2 charging time is too long.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

- seems that converting commercial vehicles to electric power is more likely to be the target for cutting emissions in the short term

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:38 pm - seems that converting commercial vehicles to electric power is more likely to be the target for cutting emissions in the short term

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK... I'm lost. :?

[EDIT] Looks like the link was the problem - was taken to a completely different subject, now unavailable. Obviously more cut costing towards Chris Evans' next Ferrari.... :naughty: :wink:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

One suggestion is that Parking lots install Solar charging systems. Makes sense, car is just sitting there, good opportunity to charge.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Just read that DunkinDonuts franchises in the US is installing chargers in its Parking lots.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

RCer wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:49 pm
handdrummer wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:20 pm maybe solar charging could be a possibility?
Where, here? Maybe safe drinking water too.
safe drinking water to follow submarines, tanks and drainage in Bangkok. not in our lifetime.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Solar is possible but it would need legislation to make vehicle manufactures build in solar panels and this will not work at all times and in all locations. Who is going to pay for this, you the consumer.

Remember with solar systems you need battery banks and while Dunkin doughnuts may install something in the US this does not solve the bigger problem, and why are they doing it anyway, just to attract customers.

With electric cars one also has to consider the enormous cost of replacement battery packs. Although the cost is coming down the present cost to replace the lithium-ion battery pack found inside the Chevrolet Bolt EV is $15,734.29. Why is Elon Musk building his giga battery factory, to reduce costs or sell replacement batteries in the long term? Spare parts have always been a big profit maker in the auto industry.