Electric Vehicles (EV) Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
pharvey

Re: Electric Cars

Post by pharvey »

redzonerocker wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:11 am
pharvey wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:29 pm Complete and utter to$$ers. I'm currently with them for both gas and electricity, but am (and have been) looking at options for a change.

I have Solar Panels installed, yet British Gas are delaying and delaying allowing me to register (where I can sell back to the grid). They overcharge for a pastime. :cuss: :banghead:
I would wait a short while before changing, the others will most likely follow suit shortly, that's the normal format.
Any opportunity to fleece the customers to boost the profits and shareholder stakes.
We were led to believe that privatised utility companies would provide competition, leading to cheaper bills . . . . :roll: :tsk:
Tend to agree mate - hence I've just been looking at options, rather than knee jerk and jumping ship..... that said, I'm sure I will.

British Gas like BT seem to be screwing me over for simple enjoyment...... :banghead:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

pharvey wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:28 am

Tend to agree mate - hence I've just been looking at options, rather than knee jerk and jumping ship..... that said, I'm sure I will.

British Gas like BT seem to be screwing me over for simple enjoyment...... :banghead:
They'll all screw you over given the chance.
It does pay to swap around every once in a while and British Gas have lost a lot of customers over recent years, I think they may be about to lose a few more!! :wink:

In relation to electric cars, drivers could be fleeced on an even more regular basis by the controlling companies.
There won't be any supermarket wars driving the price of fuel down. :|
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

South Australia has just increased electricity prices by 20%, they all see a market developing
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Stocking up on candles for the house then......... :roll: :banghead:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Perhaps it will get to a point when an investment in a Honda home generator and the fuel to run it costs less in the long run than plugging your electric car into your mains? That would be a hoot wouldn't it, and filled with contradictions about going Green in the first place. Funny old world. :roll: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

prcscct wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:36 pm Perhaps it will get to a point when an investment in a Honda home generator and the fuel to run it costs less in the long run than plugging your electric car into your mains? That would be a hoot wouldn't it, and filled with contradictions about going Green in the first place. Funny old world. :roll: Pete :cheers:
That would be typical wouldn't it? A diesel powered "Genny" to charge your "Green" Electric Car!! :wink:
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

pharvey wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:47 pm
prcscct wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:36 pm Perhaps it will get to a point when an investment in a Honda home generator and the fuel to run it costs less in the long run than plugging your electric car into your mains? That would be a hoot wouldn't it, and filled with contradictions about going Green in the first place. Funny old world. :roll: Pete :cheers:
That would be typical wouldn't it? A diesel powered "Genny" to charge your "Green" Electric Car!! :wink:
It's not too different from what is happening now, if that's how you consider the fossil-fuelled power stations.
:|
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

J.J.B. wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:50 pm
pharvey wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:47 pm
It's not too different from what is happening now, if that's how you consider the fossil-fuelled power stations.
:|
Fair point - I guess with the closure of the coal fired power stations, we're just going to switch to another fossil fuel and a "home based" power plant.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I don't think we've considered wind power in the equation. There is a lot on the internet about current capacities, with China apparently leading the pack. Concerning the UK, Scotland seems to be leading. The US seems stagnant or just about. Below some reading and comparison for the interested. Pete :cheers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_by_country

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_ ... by_country
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Wind power is being considered in the EU and the UK and will by 2030 contribute substantially to the Green generation capacity. National Grid UK are planning to have 80+% of it's energy generation coming from renewables of which wind is one aspect.
The big problem with wind is not the generation which is becoming much larger and more stable but how to integrate into the network, Remember most Windfarms are in remote locations and the end of transmission networks. The next problem is how to get that energy back to the load center's (cities) which are often substantial distance away. Plus the extensive upgrade to the networks to take this additional capacity. There is then still the issue of how to accommodate the additional load of every single consumer.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

pharvey wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:57 pm the closure of the coal fired power stations, we're just going to switch to another fossil fuel and a "home based" power plant.
This is called Distributed Generation and was proposed by ABB in something like 1998, I worked for them at that time. Utilities were dead against it as it took money out of their pockets. After all you can't have consumers generating their own power.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

StevePIraq wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:33 pm Wind power is being considered in the EU and the UK and will by 2030 contribute substantially to the Green generation capacity. National Grid UK are planning to have 80+% of it's energy generation coming from renewables of which wind is one aspect.
The big problem with wind is not the generation which is becoming much larger and more stable but how to integrate into the network, Remember most Windfarms are in remote locations and the end of transmission networks. The next problem is how to get that energy back to the load center's (cities) which are often substantial distance away. Plus the extensive upgrade to the networks to take this additional capacity. There is then still the issue of how to accommodate the additional load of every single consumer.
When it comes to wind power, the North Sea holds a lot of promise:

Artificial North Sea island: Danish, Dutch and German firms launch bid to make ‘science fiction’ plan a reality

The proposed island, complete with harbour and airport, is designed to act as a hub for vast new offshore wind farms supplying power for more than 80 million people
http://www.independent.co.uk/environmen ... 22371.html
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

By making it mandatory for utilities to buy excess power priduced by homeiwners, the US effectively killed the home based power idea.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

RCer wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:06 pm By making it mandatory for utilities to buy excess power priduced by homeiwners, the US effectively killed the home based power idea.
clever lads, eh wot?
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Could you explain that, why did a market for any excess power that you generated, kill home generation, I thought it would encourage it.