Vehicle Inspection Stations

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Vehicle Inspection Stations

Post by Name Taken »

Does anyone know what the official Thai name for those vehicle smog inspection stations that you have to take your vehicle to every year in order to renew your vehicles registration? And how I might be able to contact the government agency responsible for these vehicle inspection stations.
Geko
Professional
Professional

Re: Vehicle Inspection Stations

Post by Geko »

Name Taken

The certificate is know as a 'TorRorOr'

The local Department of Land Transport Office (DLT) does not issue the TorRorOr, but there are many private companies around Thailand that are authorised to perform this service. These companies can be identified by their official logo: a yellow gear on a blue circle.
images.jpg
images.jpg (10.94 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
https://www.dlt.go.th/en/
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

Thanks Geko,
We had a new vehicle inspection station(that has the sign that you posted a picture of) that was recently built in a small town near our home, but it has been unmanned and empty for at least a month.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The certificate is know as a 'TorRorOr'
Actually, the certificate: "Tor Or Bor" is the certificate for the compulsory insurance. An inspection station will issue a road worthy certificate without a "Tor Or Bor" as you can get one from your own insurance company without any inspection. The DLT will not register a vehicle without a valid insurance certificate, and a roadworthy certificate, if required.

edit: if the car is less than 5 years old it does not require an inspection. The DLT has the following call centre number: 1584.

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=57
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I think you'll find it's 7 years for a car and 5 for a bike.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

HHTel wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:23 pm I think you'll find it's 7 years for a car and 5 for a bike.
Yes, that is correct. At the moment anyway!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Advised by my insurance agent for a car.
inspection report in case your car is seven years old or older.
When you have a NGV tank, an inspection report of the NGV system is needed every year.
When your car has LPG, an inspection report of the LPG System is needed when your car is over 5 years old.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

More Thai logic:
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
My Land Rover registration is due in about 10 days. I already have the compulsory insurance (Tor Ror Bor), so off to my usual roadworthy check place near me in Bangkok. I have been going there for at least 10 years and they know me and my car. Two years ago I had to get the LPG system checked before renewal. This was not pointed out by the checking garage, but the DLT AFTER the garage had already issued a roadworthy. A visit to the original LPG shop resulted in 4 pages of paperwork (including a photo of the "technician" at the shop), that shows the tank certified up until 24/11/2564,(20/11/2021) Note; in reference to the previous post it is NOT the system that gets checked, but the TANK.

So I took along the tank certificate and insurance policy, BUT big problem: "we cannot issue a roadworthy certificate as the tank is now 10 years old and has to be replaced"!

No amount of pointing out the date on the certificate would change anything. The old fella there is always helpful and speaks a bit of English, so there was no doubt what he was on about.

As the DLT shop is just a bit further down the road I went there, along with about 500 others lining up at the drivers licence section. But what I needed is upstairs, so after dislodging about 10 of them sitting on the stairs I went to the info desk on the second floor. I had a lot of trouble convincing them that I could not get a roadworthy because of the tank date, but they kept confusing the issue as to why I could not get a certificate. Eventually they looked it up on their computer and said that the tank certificate was still valid, and sent me to a different garage to get the roadworthy certificate. They also copied all 4 pages of the LPG BS free of charge, as it turns out the DLT keep a copy. Also a copy of the Tor Ror Bor, but I already had that with me.

10 minutes at the "new" shop, a free bottle of water, 200 Baht and done no problem! Only problem was driving up and down Sukhumvit road between the two places!

SO, anyone with LPG be warned, not all places are aware of the requirements. I still do not know what happens when the certificate expires, as I was told two different stories at the LPG shop when I had it inspected. :?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I had a similar problem. Was told the LPG tank was 10yrs. old and they would not certify it and it could not be certified because it was 10 yrs. old. It was irrelevant whether or not the tank was in good condition. I had it removed and we now run on petrol. The car is an '94 and not worth putting a lot of money into it.