With 15 daily deaths, Thailand world's deadliest country for motorcyclists

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
buksida

With 15 daily deaths, Thailand world's deadliest country for motorcyclists

Post by buksida »

THE NUMBER of motorcycle-related deaths is on the rise in Thailand, a country said to be the most dangerous in the world for two-wheelers.

An estimated 73 percent of traffic-related deaths occurring on the kingdom’s congested arteries involve motorcycles, according to data, and that figure, experts say, contribute to an average annual death toll of 5,500 motorcyclists, or 15 daily deaths.

Already constantly in the news, Thailand’s lethal roads re-entered the spotlight this month following two separate motorcycle incidents in Phuket, including one where a pregnant woman from the UK was killed.

According to The Straits Times, although motorcycles are a common mode of transport for Thais, only 53 percent of motorcycle riders wear helmets. The daily also cited data showing only 7 percent of children and 19 percent of pillion riders don helmets.

Dr Liviu Vedrasco, health cluster chief at the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Bangkok commented on the situation, saying:

“If you take motorcycles out of the equation, Thailand’s roads will be as safe as (those in) Switzerland, the United States and the United Kingdom.”

According to data from WHO in 2015, there were 26.3 motorcycle-related deaths for every 100,000 people in Thailand, making it the highest number worldwide.

Earlier this month, a multi-stakeholder partnership, Stop the Crash Thailand launched a campaign in Bangkok which focuses on motorcycle safety technologies. The event coincided with the UN Road Safety Week.

It included demonstrations of an anti-lock braking system for motorcycles and Blind Spot Detection, which the organisation believes could significantly reduce the number of traffic fatalities in the country.

“We are pleased that the Thai government has engaged with Stop the Crash, but we urge them to legislate as this is best way to reduce the number of deaths fast.” David Ward Stop the Crash Chairman said.

According to The Straits Times, Thai law permits those who are 15 years of age to obtain a driver’s licence for vehicles with engines less than 110cc.

However, according to the Ramathibodi Hospital’s Child Safety Promotion and Injury Prevention Centre (CSIP), some 15,800 children get into motorcycle-related accidents annually, which results in an estimated 700 deaths.

In light of this, WHO’s Dr Vedrasco urged the Thai government to pay attention to motorcycle riders.

“If you want to really save lives, do something about this risk group,” he said.

“Impose the helmet law strictly, and make them safer riders through more hours of training. Or, like in China, dedicate a special lane for them,” he said.

Source: https://asiancorrespondent.com/2017/05/ ... QGoyFUv.99

Thought: Vietnam has a higher population and more motorcycles on the road yet they seem to be able to get around without killing each other.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: With 15 daily deaths, Thailand world's deadliest country for motorcyclists

Post by oakdale160 »

I am amazed at te figure that 53% of riders wear helmets, I would have guessed about 30%. It is MUCH higher in BKK of course.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

26.3 deaths per 100,000 per year (according to WHO) in a population of 60,000,000 (low estimate) equates to 15,780 deaths per year, which is 43 per day, not 15.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

But few if any of the deaths are people from military, political or wealthy families, so whats the problem?
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

"But few if any of the deaths are people from military, political or wealthy families, so whats the problem?"

You got it!
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Sadly, one of those daily deaths occurred on the main road at soi 6 yesterday morning. I went past shortly after it had happened and I only need to see the motorbike to know that someone must surely have been killed. I'm not sure if there was more than one person on the bike when it got hit, but I know it was a school kid who died. They weren't wearing a helmet, although I doubt a helmet would have saved them considering the force of the collision.

Actually quite sickening riding past the site this morning, only to see that some blood and whatever can still be seen on the curb and the road.

:(
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact