Stop Signs

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Stop Signs

Post by Nereus »

Well, I thought that I had seen just about everything crazy about traffic rules and what they MAY mean.
In a taxi in Bangkok this morning with my Thai daughter. Now these 2, the driver and my daughter, put together would probably not come up with which day it is, but the following defies even Thai logic.

As the expressway was jammed packed I told them to get off at a place that I use just about every time I go past that particular point. It is actually a place that crosses the railway and U-turns back towards the city, but also the frontage road continues parallel to the expressway until Rama 4 Rd to the right. After convincing the driver to turn left off the expressway across the rail line, I added that he must then turn right onto the frontage road. BUT, there is a STOP sign where the right turn is and Einstein flatly refused to turn right because the sign reads STOP! About 10 metres further to the left the road merges with the frontage road, and THAT is what you have to do, proceed to do a U-turn back past the joining point! Both of them then argued with me about what a stop sign is for. :banghead:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Re: Stop Signs

Post by Big Boy »

:laugh: A Thai seeing a road sign? He must've been to Specsavers :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

I would gather at this point the chances of the cab driver getting a reasonable tip had diminished fairly rapidly! :)
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Bluesky wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:03 am I would gather at this point the chances of the cab driver getting a reasonable tip had diminished fairly rapidly! :)
He got a tip: several in fact, it concerned his ancestors!

Actually, it was not the end of it. Just after turning from the frontage road into Rama 4 there is an MRT station, which we wanted to stop at to let my daughter out to catch the train. He stopped and then refused to go any further, and that's when he got his tips!

And to add to just how stupid some of the taxi drivers are, there is a stopping bay in front of the MRT station big enough for two cars. Parked in the space were two taxis, no sign of any drivers! When I eventually stopped another taxi to take me home, I mentioned it to the driver and he said "maybe they go for lunch", as though I should have known that! :guns:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!