Flashing headlights

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Re: Flashing headlights

Post by Gregjam »

Recently while driving towards Cha am on Petkasem with my nephew in the passenger seat he was telling me to flash ny headlights at vehicles waiting at the U turns. His view is that unless you flash they are likely to assume you are trvelling slow enough to allow time for them to pull out in front of you. Very much a case of do as the locals do.
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

disunited kingdom read the original remark
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Perhaps I need to clarify that the nephew mentioned in my earlier comment is Thai.
In the UK while the highway code may say otherwise the generally accepted practice is that a short flash or two means go ahead and turn across my path. A series of multiple flashes or a long continuous shining of full beam is a sign of dissatisfaction. A couple of short flashes plus holding the thumb downwards indicates a speed trap ahead although this can now get you fined as this is illegal.
You will often see a truck turn his lights on and off (not flash on full beam) to indicate that another usually long truck is past and it is safe to pull back into the left lane.
The above is from personal experience driving a truck for a number of years in the UK and not from a google search.
Thailand appears to have its own unofficial system of which the flashing of headlights as mentioned is just part of it.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

moater wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:37 am In many countries the meaning of flashing headlights from oncoming traffic is "beware, cops/speed trap ahead". I often wish Thai people would adopt this behavior.
They have. I was saved a couple of times on the Bangkok toll highways by many cars going the other direction flashing they lights. Each time, sure enough, there was a radar guy and many police at the next toll booth collecting money.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

huahin4ever wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:11 pm A couple of years ago when my sister visited, we were on Phetkasem making the u-turn after exit from Market Village. While I was waiting for the opposite traffic to clear so I could make the u-turn, my sister pointed out that one of the on-coming cars was flashing its headlights, so I could just go ahead and do my turn. 555! I had to tell her that here it means the complete opposite. Here it means, "I'm coming at full speed so you better keep out of my way, or else!"
You could say quite legitimately that the "Thai way" and the U.K. Highway Code are the same - to let others know of your presence!!
Kumiankka
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Kumiankka »

StevePIraq wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:54 am The Thai way, if it can be done backwards lets do it. I have always wondered what they will do if you flash back and continue on, however being a sensible driver I do not proceed.
What does it matter. The falang will pay anyway. TiT
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Re Gregjam's nephew advising flashing of lights, I assume right of way going down the road and it is a warning to those making a U-turn not to proceed. Acceptable.
Speed traps these days are not as obvious, but several vehicles in the opposite (oncoming) lane would indicate a speed trap. I still have my trusty (but soon to be replaced with digital) radar detector..
Re overtaking of long trailer trucks..
A lot depends on where you are and the type of road..
In multi-lane dual carriageway, nobody gives a hoot, including truck drivers.
But on a single lane rural road, the truckers in front of you put on their right indicator telling you not to overtake. Once they signal with the left indicator, it's safe to pass.
They drivers in the opposite lane cannot judge..
วินเชนท์
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

But on a single lane rural road, the truckers in front of you put on their right indicator telling you not to overtake. Once they signal with the left indicator, it's safe to pass.
I don't see that courtesy here very often. In Malaysia, many moons ago, very nearly every truck driver used to do it. :thumb:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I have never seen one, but this is how it should be:

laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

I see that done quite often. Along with doing so myself.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ ^ The danger here concerning that Samsung truck could be a line of traffic behind it waiting for the soap drama to start. :shock: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

prcscct wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:42 am ^ ^ The danger here concerning that Samsung truck could be a line of traffic behind it waiting for the soap drama to start. :shock: Pete :cheers:
Youse have been far too long in Ting Tong Land :tsk:
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Far too long ago, a company that I worked for insisted that anyone who was based on the road took an advanced driving course and test which resulted hopefully in an advanced driving license and reduced insurance costs for them.

I took the course and advanced driving test with the London MET. This was quite an experience on both open and closed roads and at high speeds.

One of the things I remember and still practice today is to call, out loud, any possible danger or possible manouvre that was not being signaled by pedestrians, other motorists etc. you would also call the distance, timing and your planned reaction/action to the training officer.

Without doubt this was initially the most difficult test, of any description, that I ever, finally, passed.

The strange thing is that 30 years later it is still muscle memory and I still call out loud my actions and reactions when driving at speed or in stressful driving situations. Maybe it is still reinforcement that I am aware and watchfull but more possibly that most times I'm not comfortable/relaxed in most BKK driving situations.

Anyhow, at that point in time we were trained to be aware but not over reactive of flashing car lights and we were trained not to READ ANY DRIVER ACTION into the flashing lights... only be aware and prepared to take avoiding action having assessed the situation for ourselves.

Same holds true for the LOS. Flashing headlights only show that the bulbs or LEDs are working but be aware.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

Although I have not taken an advanced driving course, here in Saudi Arabia I feel far more advanced in driving skills compared to the many #'"$%^&%'s on the roads here, the driving here is considerably more dangerous than in Thailand, not saying I feel safe driving in LoS but what I learn from driving in Saudi helps me be aware . I 100% agree with Bristolian, never take anything for granted, always assume the other driver is a complete asshole behind the wheel and be safe. We have a saying here in KSA ''expect the expected'' , the best way is (if in doubt, wait.) Its better to have the car behind you lose patience and toot you than drive into the path of a speeding Mercedes or the like. GN.. :?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think the meaning of the term "defensive driving" was the first thing I was taught when learning to drive back in the 60's. Taught it to my kids and to anyone who wants to listen. It works, anywhere, but it's a mindset and needs to become second nature.

Here, it would be like pulling teeth with the "me first, my car is bigger, I'm in a hurry, get out of my way..." mentality which seems to be in the majority. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source