Road Closure Soi 88 Railway Crossing to Station

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Road improvements at the rail crossing had resulted in road closure here when I went that way earlier - it could create major disruption during rush hour.

Alternate route is carry on towards Petchkasem, and turn left.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Road Closure Soi 88 Railway Crossing to Station

Post by StevePIraq »

It was crazy this morning at 11am, you could go south along railway road until the train station then could go no further. As always in Thailand this was somewhat ignored with cars and bikes bypassing the unmanned barriers and continuing south to Soi 88 only to find the road blocked with barriers and vehicles. The road from the train station to Phetkasem was at a standstill as no alternative was shown. Vehicles going around the barrier then had no option but to go down the tiny soi at the back of SP hospital with some getting stuck at he bend as the road is so narrow and also no way out onto Phetkasem.
Typical lack of planning and Chaos, only good thing was the OTOP fair had gone, thank god.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

StevePIraq wrote:Typical lack of planning and Chaos, only good thing was the OTOP fair had gone, thank god.
I'm sure the planning was fine, but as with the OTOP fair and many other things, alternate routes were/are not clearly marked :cuss:

They manage to erect signs for almost every non-event here in Hua Hin, but when a sign is really needed..................... :?

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

How could the planning be fine, there was not even resident only access to the second section of railway road so if you live there you had no way to access it. Plus why close a Road totally, it is easy enough to close in sections, but hey as I said in another thread nothing will change here no matter how much we gripe.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Planning, and execution of the plan are 2 different things. I'm sure the plan would have met the specification of the invitation to tender.

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Any plan by the contractor would have to be in accordance with all local rules and regulations, they would not be defined in any tender document. The managing agent whether it be the roads dept, local council or whoever would have to approve and ensure compliance and gain approval of the roads and police department before closing a road, so all parties have a part to play. I just doubt there is ever any formal requirement for a contractor to follow and the local population are just a side issue that are not relevant.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Take soi 88, if not happy, stay at home until works are finished.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

The point being there was no access from Soi 76 going south along Railway Road to Soi 88 and no access from 88 onto Railway Road going north
However once again we including me are debating something we have no influence over, and I am sure many Thai's feel exactly the same.
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

Is there pedestrian access from the eastern side of soi 88 (Petkasem road) over the railway line to Baan Khun Por?
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

an important part of raising and educating children is teaching them to think of cause and effect, that acts have consequences. I don't think that this happens in Thai.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Yesterday travelling south along the railway road, barriers were present and a 'police helper' directing traffic down soi 80 which also had a traffic control guy at the Petchkasem road end. Of course it was fine on a bike but cars could not go any further once they hit the crossing. Local traffic was allowed through but only as far as the crossing. Diversion was east on soi 80 or the Tessabahn road then back up west on soi 88 for those needing to go that route. Annoying, but I found it quite straightforward.

Later that day I left my house only to find that soi 116 is closed off. These things happen and no good moaning about it. It is what it is. I'm sure it'll come out in the wash!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote:Diversion was east on soi 80 or the Tessabahn road then back up west on soi 88 for those needing to go that route. Annoying, but I found it quite straightforward.

Later that day I left my house only to find that soi 116 is closed off. These things happen and no good moaning about it. It is what it is. I'm sure it'll come out in the wash!
Believe me, that was not a moan, simply a public service announcement.

So, are diversions clearly marked now, in advance of the disruption? It's obviously quite easy for us locals to find a way through, but visitors won't have a clue. The biggest problem is travelling West up Soi 88, intending to turn right towards the station. Unless you turn around, the alternate route is quite lengthy.

Points 41; Position 18
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Another reason why m'bike is the preferred mode of transportation--always options witha 2 wheeler.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

yesterday I was traveling south on railway, went round the roundabout and at the junction to railway was a sign blocking southern bound travel on railway, forcing scores of vehicles to go around again and down whatever the name of that soi is that leads to petchkasem. it took 1/2 an hr to go the distance and turn right. it would have so much simpler to put the sign before the roundabout. but, well, you know.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

handdrummer wrote:yesterday I was traveling south on railway, went round the roundabout and at the junction to railway was a sign blocking southern bound travel on railway, forcing scores of vehicles to go around again and down whatever the name of that soi is that leads to petchkasem. it took 1/2 an hr to go the distance and turn right. it would have so much simpler to put the sign before the roundabout. but, well, you know.
Exactly what I was saying, it would be so easy to put up a notice a week before advising of a coming diversion, but in Ting Tong Land this will never happen. God help us should the rail project ever get going then they will most likely block all east-west traffic for a year and leave everyone to find their own way around it.