Riding a motorcycle on an International Driving Permit

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Re: Riding a motorcycle on an International Driving Permit

Post by J.J.B. »

StevePIraq wrote:No, once you have a full UK bike license it is unlimited capacity
It did change a few years back, it depends when you took your test - i.e. how old you are. I took my UK bike test in '95 and from 125 you could ride pretty much anything, although insurance cost a fortune. Now you have to take a CBT and are then limited to a specific cc (400, I think) and then after a period of time you can go higher.

Buksi, chances are you wouldn't be able to rent a big bike in the UK on a Thai license nor get insurance for one. We both know riding a bike in Thailand is nothing like riding in the UK.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

It is certainly legal to ride a bike in the UK using a Thai licence and an IDP. Weather you'd get insurance for doing so is a different issue.

I don't think any rental places would cover the risk; but if you were trying to get listed as a named rider on somebody else's policy then you might have better luck. Even more so if the insurer provides temporary additional driver cover-notes, as they tend to ask less risk-questions when doing so.

I'm not sure how bike rental works in the UK but maybe somebody else could rent it as the 'main' rider and name you as a second driver on the cover? Again, the risk questions for a seconds driver may be a little less inquisitive (providing it's even possible)
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

No help. but in the states the rental companies are happy to provide insurance as long as you have a valid license.

They would provide insurance to a drunk, blind, paraplegic if asked since they charge a lot of money for it, and it is the insurers problem, not the bike renters.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Buks, I have no idea where you plan to hire from but bikes can be hired in London so I would assume many other major cities, why not send one an email with a copy of your Thai license and ask the question

http://www.westsussexmotorcyclehire.co. ... re-london/
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
buksida

Post by buksida »

I wanted to buy one for running about on, just an old 250 or something.

Looks like far too much hassle so I'll get a car instead (cheaper to buy one there than hire it).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Mate,
I recommend at some point you get your U.K. bike licence. Yeah I know.. time, money and all that.... but you will learn a lot from the instructors.
I did a weeks intensive training in Aberdeen and the instructors were fantastic. Really learnt a lot from them and helped me become a better rider.
:cheers:
GN.
mariad
Amateur
Amateur

Post by mariad »

I have heard you can rent a motorbike of any capacity in Thailand. Can i ride the bike with my international license there. And what are the documents required to be submitted for taking the bike on Rent.