Would you drive a black car in Hua Hin?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
sidthesloth
Amateur
Amateur

Would you drive a black car in Hua Hin?

Post by sidthesloth »

When I question a Thai friend on why she chose to buy a black car in such a hot climate she said:

"Thai people don't believe in that."

What do you think?
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Re: Would you drive a black car in Hua Hin?

Post by Pleng »

believe in what?
sidthesloth
Amateur
Amateur

Post by sidthesloth »

Pleng wrote:believe in what?
That black cars are hotter than other colours
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

My wife had a black Civic. I tried to get her to pick another color warning her that black would be hotter inside but she didn't believe me. Later she regretted that choice as it was indeed much hotter inside. Not liking white I went for gold metallic for my CRV which I think reflected the heat fairly well. I think Silver would also be a good choice.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

I had a black Hilux in Saudi Arabia.... worst choice ever for colour.
I bought a cheap Ebay dashboard mounted oil-filled compass/temp. gauge and after not much time - all the oil evaporated from the compass so the ball sat rolling around the base and the temp. gauge stuck at max. temp.
OK slightly off-topic and extreme example.... had to use an interior window shield just so the steering wheel wasn't boiling to the touch before I could drive.
GN.
sidthesloth
Amateur
Amateur

Post by sidthesloth »

hhfarang wrote:My wife had a black Civic. I tried to get her to pick another color warning her that black would be hotter inside but she didn't believe me.
So it is a thing.

I wonder why. Maybe they figure the AC is going to be on anyway so what does it matter?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Black is terrible to try to keep clean looking. Someone who doesn't know how to use a buffer can wreck the clear coat as well leaving permanent swirl marks. They really don't give you much of a choice of colors here. White, black, silver and one other usually seems to be common. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

sidthesloth wrote:
hhfarang wrote:My wife had a black Civic. I tried to get her to pick another color warning her that black would be hotter inside but she didn't believe me.
So it is a thing.

I wonder why. Maybe they figure the AC is going to be on anyway so what does it matter?
No, they just aren't taught that sort of thing at school.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

sidthesloth wrote:
So it is a thing.

Nope, they know that they can just put a sticker on their car that says "This Car is White." :wink:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Very un PC sexist and racist comments on this thread :cuss: Suggesting black cars are "hotter" than white cars. Blaming the woman for choosing black. Saying black is hard to keep clean!

Black cars matter! So do White cars. All cars should be equal :cuss:

Crazy 88
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

I had two black cars.....I will never have another. They are impossible to keep clean for even a day, and yes they get very hot.
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

My wife had a black car in Dubai back in the early 90s, she soon got shot of that and hasn't even considered another black car since. Mind you, there are still plenty of black cars tooling around the Middle East even now, but you'd be hard pushed to find a western expat driving any of them :laugh:
margaretcarnes wrote:No, they just aren't taught that sort of thing at school.
Funny that, but I wasn't taught that sort of thing at school either, just seems like common sense to me :naughty:
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Well black absorbs heat while white reflects it so if anyone is being taught that in school then it's correct. In my experience pretty much anything in hot countries gets hot when left in the sun and cars are the worst! I'd rather have a white or silver car but it will still be like an oven when you get into it, I doubt the differential temperature between black and white would make much difference.

In the UK I have black and dark grey cars. Then again, I have a fire and central heating inside my house, something Thais might not get taught about at school either!
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

I had a black Honda and it forever looked dirty with the dust showing up all over. I changed to a Honda white( like pearl) and the difference has been amazing. Never again Black
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

I have a dark grey car - the scratches on the paintwork become very visible. I'll try white next time