Would you drive a black car in Hua Hin?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Would you drive a black car in Hua Hin?

Post by HHTel »

Tests have shown that although the paint temperature can be over 50 degrees difference between white and black cars, the inside temperature only has a difference of 5 or 6 degrees and that is very temporary once the AC is turned on.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

If you want to experiment try walking on asphalt then walk on a white line on the asphalt. If the bottom of your feet are not burned before reaching the white line you will know the difference. I learned that lesson when I was a kid crossing the street barefoot. Even the gray and black sandwash is much hotter than the tan color around my house.

Interesting also that Honda charges extra for White. No explanation as to why when I asked why to the salesperson.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Consider this

Black absorbs heat whereas white reflects it. This can be proven scientifically.

It follows that, two (identical model) cars left to warm up in the sun, one black and one white, the black one will bcome hotter................The TV show Mythbusters did this and obtained increased temperatures of between 6 - 10 degrees F over a 24 hour period from the black car.

Even with the aircon working, the rate of heat transfer between the outside and the inside of the car will be higher in the black car. Therefore the aircon will have to work harder to keep the same level of comfort. We're talking peanuts here but it is still having an effect on comfort and economy.

All cars attract dust due to static electricity - but black shows the dust far more than white.

Consider the interior - the same heat argument applies. A lighter interior will be cooler and for sure will show less dust.

Mosquitos - the little buggers are attracted to black rather than white - also demonstrated on mythbusters and elsewhere. So - open the door in a mosquito'd environment and see the difference !!

It's a no brainer

White or light colour (as somebody said, gold or silver) with a light coloured interior are without any doubt, the best options in hot or tropical countries.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've had both black cars and white ones. What I want to know is why do white cars attract black dirt and black cars attract white dirt....... lol
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Terry wrote:
It's a no brainer

White or light colour (as somebody said, gold or silver) with a light coloured interior are without any doubt, the best options in hot or tropical countries.
Would agree with that. Living in outback Australia where summer temperatures head towards the mid 40's (Celsius) I've always steered towards light coloured vehicles and for the same reasons I have a white vehicle here.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

margaretcarnes wrote:No, they just aren't taught that sort of thing at school.
Funny that, but I wasn't taught that sort of thing at school either, just seems like common sense to me :naughty:[/quote]

I rest my case! :wink:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

margaretcarnes wrote:......I rest my case! :wink:
Don't rest it on a black car, you'll leave marks. :duck:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

I purchased my Pajero in 2013, when considering which color to choose I was informed all colors were the same price, except white. Had to pay an additional 15,000 baht for white. The dealer was quite upfront when I asked why, he explained it was because white was more popular and the price difference was a classic supply and demand situation.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

prcscct wrote:
Or burn your bum! :rasta:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

If I remember my schoolboy science and it was a long time ago.....black absorbs heat more than white, but also radiates it out more! So in theory would heat up quicker but cool quicker! So I guess when driving and the air is cooling it a black car 'could' be cooler.

There seem to be plenty of black cars around!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

We've got a black pick up and a white car and there isn't really any noticeable difference. Obviously if you parked them both in the sun, the black one would get hotter but in Thailand you always try to park in the shade and once you're moving, the air flow cools it down as stated above.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Nereus wrote:
prcscct wrote:
Or burn your bum! :rasta:

Probably both! :laugh:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I have had black cars, lovely when clean but terrible to keep clean. as for heat they were roasters when first entering, as is any car when left in an ambient of 30+, once moving with ac on just the same as any car. The biggest issue was keeping it looking clean
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali