How can Thailand curb its appalling road fatality rate?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Re: How can Thailand curb its appalling road fatality rate?

Post by Spitfire »

There can only be three possible reasons for why the situation on the roads here is as it is:

1 - Don't care
2 - Stupidity
3 - Both of the above
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

:agree:
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

Spitfire wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:14 am There can only be three possible reasons for why the situation on the roads here is as it is:

1 - Don't care
2 - Stupidity
3 - Both of the above
Hmmmm, I guess I'll go with number 3.
:laugh:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'd go for number 4 - Both of the above and an ineffective police force that only sets up road blocks and waits for crime to be served up to them.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Spitfire wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:14 am There can only be three possible reasons for why the situation on the roads here is as it is:

1 - Don't care
2 - Stupidity
3 - Both of the above
I vote for all 3 above,just to be sure

:cheers: :cheers:
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

1 - Don't care
2 - Stupidity
3 - Both of the above
Yes we know that but the post asks what can be done to change it.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

'Where there is a will, there is a way'
There is no will, there is no way!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

change requires education by people who are educated and it must start in the first year of school. punishment is a poor educator, it's breeds contempt and violence. until logic and critical thinking are taught here nothing will change. in the meantime we all have to look out for our own behinds.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

dundrillin wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:28 am Yes we know that but the post asks what can be done to change it.
Answer is nothing...and everyone should know that too. Reason is because no-one gives a flying %*&# about anything.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

In answer to the two previous posts, they are both correct, the education part is seriously lacking - they have made the test more difficult to pass in that you need to get 45 or more out of 50 correct to pass, but nobody is trying to educate the would be motorists, it's simply a number that has to be achieved. My wife is trying to pass her test and has had scores of 44, 44 and 43 so just below the passmark but there is no feedback on which questions you got wrong, just come back and try again!! As for the nobody cares a hoot about it, a woman doing the test at the same time as my wife, drove to the test center in her car, took the test and failed and drove home again - she doesn't care and worse still, the authorities don't care.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think that's a good point Dannie. I consider myself able to drive properly, but here in Thailand I have had to adapt considerably, picking up very bad habits at the same time, to be able to cope with the idiots (Thai and Farang) around me. Maybe the Farang idiots have adapted similarly - many would have been arrested years ago in their own countries. I too would have been at least cautioned back in the UK.

It's not the new drivers, but the idiots already on the roads.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:14 pm I'd go for number 4 - Both of the above and an ineffective police force that only sets up road blocks and waits for crime to be served up to them.
Waiting for their 'Tea Money' is more like it.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

handdrummer wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:43 am change requires education by people who are educated and it must start in the first year of school. punishment is a poor educator, it's breeds contempt and violence. until logic and critical thinking are taught here nothing will change. in the meantime we all have to look out for our own behinds.
:agree:
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

I think part of the problem is that the Thai Government doesn't make any effort to really improve the country, so Thai people just don't give a sh!t like Spitfire said. The people in the Thai Government could improve the country greatly if they wanted to, but I think they're more interested in lining their own pockets. Things are going to stay the same in Thailand for a long time to come, because change is slow here and those of us that have been here for awhile know that. Thai people also are not very good at retaining what they have learned or been taught, There was an interview on the internet that asked about a U.S. soldiers experience during the 'Cobra Gold' annual training exercise in Thailand and the U.S. soldier said that anytime they taught the Thai soldiers something new the Thai soldiers would just revert back to their way of doing things after a couple of days. If things are going to change for the better here in Thailand, then the Thai Government needs to be LEADING the way(Lead by Example) and I don't see that happening right now as a matter of fact I see them being very obstructionist.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

We also believe that individuals and groups of people can effect change, can makea difference and there are examples of this happening. Here there is no such philosophy and few examples of this happening. So there is a total acceptance of the status quo. The governments change, new mayors are installed, there is no change. In some ways this makes life easily.
I have worked with Thai people who are resistant to change, even if that change makes their work easier.