Vehicle Advice

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: Vehicle Advice

Post by VincentD »

I have a 2nd generation 4wd Nissan X-trail which I'm still happy with, the 4wd function is great and I used to be able to get to places on the farm the 2wd Vigo could not. The latest Nissan diesel pickup has stunning acceleration and a 'low' setting for the 4wd model. Nissan, however, have had issues with chassis rust for an earlier model of the Navara, hopefully addressed by now.
Another consideration for an SUV would be the Subaru Forester, the base 4wd model is just a little over a million baht. Might be a problem for the bikes, though. Maybe a tailgate rack could solve that..
วินเชนท์
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Regarding the 4WD, while I regret not getting it, it has never stopped going anywhere that I needed to, and we've done a fair bit off road.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

While 4WD is useful it is probably worth noting that the majority of pickup trucks you see on the roads, tracks or anything resembling vehicular access here are 2WD. A couple of tons of pineapples puts plenty of weight over the rear axle. I recall many years ago when I had a Hilux 2WD and got stuck all we did was get about five or six of the ten plus people in the back to get out and push! I do enjoy having a 4WD now but will rarely engage it other than as a routine to make sure it works. To really get the benefit of 4WD on slippery ground you would need off road tyres and you will rarely find a truck fitted with them. Expensive and noisy. The same can be said for the majority of Chelsea tractors that would rarely venture off tarmac.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Most 4WD/AWD vehicles on the road are not 'true' 4WD vehicles. A 'true' 4WD imo is one that is mechanically coupled to all wheels and uses a limited slip differential and diff locks - not really suited for on-road driving.

Most have open differentials and use different methods to sense and couple the front and rear. The CRV typically uses the abs sensor to detect front wheel slip before sending power to the rear wheels. The Nissan X-trail is a bit more pro-active insofar as it uses yaw sensors and a combination of imputs from the steering angle, engine throttle and such to send a variable current to a magnetically coupled gearbox on the rear wheels, up to 50% of the driven power. Subaru typically used a viscous coupling but are now going in the direction of Nissan.

I couldn't afford the Subaru at the time so went with what I felt was the next best, it's basically fwd until - depending on setting - it detects slip and sends power to the rear. :blabla:
Imo I still prefer old school but today every car seems to come with electronic everything - sigh - even the accelerator pedal on the Nissan is electronic.
I miss my old Saab 900 turbo...

Right.. Back to topic.. :offtopic:
วินเชนท์