Getting Tough on Motorcyclists?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
robcar
Professional
Professional

Re: Getting Tough on Motorcyclists?

Post by robcar »

Get an International Driving Permit from your home country and carry your normal license. The IDP is a translation of your normal license.

I now live here and have a Thai license for car and bike, the IDP is the answer if you are just here on holiday or short stay.
Cost in the UK is £4.50.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I don't know what the answer is Ralfredo. You seem a sensible guy, and I'm sure you're not one that abuses the bike like some of the idiot fraternity. Likewise, my friends who visit don't abuse it either. Maybe if there weren't motorcycle hires so readily available, then somebody would lay on a better public transport service. Thais aren't usually slow at recognising a money making opportunity.

Of course, robcar's solution is best.

One thing is sure though. If Thailand has a desire to improve road safety, then actions as stated in the OP are required.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

robcar wrote:Get an International Driving Permit from your home country and carry your normal license. The IDP is a translation of your normal license.
Are those always accepted by the BiB. I'm pretty sure I've read otherwise, but that could of course be wrong.
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

Always should be. They are part of a legal requirement when driving abroad (not in your own country). Europeans don't need one to drive in any european country but do need one elsewhere in the world. You do need to carry your normal license too.

There are 2 international conventions that refer to this but Google and I can't seem to find them at present but will keep searching.

Here is the Wikipedia entry. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... ing_Permit
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

Big Boy wrote:I don't know what the answer is Ralfredo. You seem a sensible guy, and I'm sure you're not one that abuses the bike like some of the idiot fraternity.
Thanks! And I hope I am, and I try to be, but the traffic is scary and even if you do everything right, bad things can happen.
Big Boy wrote:One thing is sure though. If Thailand has a desire to improve road safety, then actions as stated in the OP are required.
We definitely agree on that the road safety need to be improved. Better enforcement of the law might be one way to go but I think the whole mentality of the Thai people regarding safety (on the road) need to change. How that will be possible or if it even is possible, I don't know. I say Thai people because they are after all the majority on the roads, Stupid tourists speeding around the Bintabaht area drunk at night could, if I had anything to say, be deported for good.

So far I have been lucky and never had any incidents on my bike, knock on wood. However, every time I park the bike outside my house I make a sigh of relief, a feeling I newer have in Sweden. As I said, I will continue to drive in Thailand because I "need" to do that and if an IDP makes it legal, that's obviously the way to go. To minimize the hazard, I of course newer drive under the influence, very seldom in the dark and rarely further north than Market Village. I will however continue to be a criminal (if IDP is not accepted) and drive to my local "pineapple girl". :)
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

robcar wrote:Europeans don't need one to drive in any european country but do need one elsewhere in the world.
Are you sure? I have rented cars several times in the US with only my Swedish license without any problem. I was under the impression that a Swedish license is good enough in the US even if some (the organizations selling IDP for example) recommend that you have an IDP.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Europe is like the US in that regard. Each country's license is recognized by the other members of the EU.
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

@Ralfredo.....
According to several sites indicated by Mr Google an IDP is not required in USA.

With regard to other countries......the driver is still required to carry his/her normal driving license along with the IDP which is valid for 12 months.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I agree that better law enforcement would go a long way in making the roads safer here, but I don't think enforcement is as easy as we would like to believe.

In the West, we are brought up being taught that we need to obey the law, so really, law enforcement officials have a very easy job for the most part. If a policeman in the UK was stationed somewhere, stopping people and confiscating bikes or cars if drivers/riders were breaking the law, those drivers/riders would do the right thing in order to have their cars/bikes returned.

Now, let's just say constable Somchai is stationed somewhere and he too is confiscating bikes and cars from people who are breaking the law. How long do you think constable Somchai will remain alive? How long will it be before he gets shot or hacked to death. Alternatively, how long would it be before he loses his job?

Next, I bet there are thousands of policemen in Thailand who ride their bikes with no helmet on, particularly when they are off duty.So, for many Thais, if the police can break the law, then so can I.

Personally, I agree with the whole confiscation thing, but I also don't think the Thai police should be doing it too often because they don't earn enough to be putting their lives on the line.

At the end of the day, we are living in Thailand, and our opinion means absolutely nothing at all. Anyone who can here believing things would change was clearly living on another planet. If you really cannot stomach the Thai way, then really, you should be looking at finding a new place to stay. Are conditions on the roads going to improve? You must be joking! If anything, they will steadily get worse.

Of course, we also have to acknowledge the fact that driving without a license is to a great extent quite a petty crime if you compare it to some other violations. For example, I would feel safer on a road full of unlicensed drivers who are all driving sensibly than I would on a road full of licensed maniacs.

Personally, I think the police should target speeding first. How many cars, with licensed drivers, stick to the speed limit? I travel on the main drag between soi 6 and the city center 4 times a day, and I'm yet to see a car driving within the speed limit. Even people who have licenses here will still pull out without looking and etc. It really is a hopeless situation, but fortunately, I have accepted it now, it simply doesn't even bother me anymore.

Merry Xmas, or should I rather be saying, merry festive season? :thumb: :D

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

When I look at the driving here, both bikes and cars, it reminds me of something funny from the states.

A dog is walking nicely beside its owner, then a squirrel takes off in front of it. The dog takes off after the squirrel without even a passing thought whether or not there is something in the way, like a wall, and slams right into it.

Pretty much exemplifies the attention given to driving here. Its not just the Thai's, too.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

In red
Takiap wrote:I agree that better law enforcement would go a long way in making the roads safer here, but I don't think enforcement is as easy as we would like to believe. Do you know a method other than proper application of the law of the land? Surely, anything else is either illegal or can be easily ignored.

In the West, we are brought up being taught that we need to obey the law, so really, law enforcement officials have a very easy job for the most part. If a policeman in the UK was stationed somewhere, stopping people and confiscating bikes or cars if drivers/riders were breaking the law, those drivers/riders would do the right thing in order to have their cars/bikes returned.

Now, let's just say constable Somchai is stationed somewhere and he too is confiscating bikes and cars from people who are breaking the law. How long do you think constable Somchai will remain alive? How long will it be before he gets shot or hacked to death. Alternatively, how long would it be before he loses his job? But isn't that his job? If he doesn't try, we'll never know. Just a threat that it may happen will have no effect at all. If people start to have bikes confiscated, proper fines are imposed etc, etc word would soon get around and there would be a deterrent against breaking the law in place. While everybody is happy with tea money, nothing will change - people will continue to die at an unacceptable rate. Zero tolerance is the only way, when things have got as out of hand as they have here. Weren't there a lot of confiscations last year as a result of drink driving? I didn't hear of any police officer being shot as a result. And yes, keeping those drunk drivers off the road must have helped a little.

Next, I bet there are thousands of policemen in Thailand who ride their bikes with no helmet on, particularly when they are off duty.So, for many Thais, if the police can break the law, then so can I. There are plenty that ride their bikes without helmets whilst on duty. You must have seen them riding with their police baseball caps. Again, shame/fire a few of them, and they'll fall into line.

Personally, I agree with the whole confiscation thing, but I also don't think the Thai police should be doing it too often because they don't earn enough to be putting their lives on the line. So we just let people die at an unacceptable rate, while constable Somchai continues to enjoy his brew? Why have a police force at all? Just return to the Wild West as many seem to want.

At the end of the day, we are living in Thailand, and our opinion means absolutely nothing at all. Anyone who can here believing things would change was clearly living on another planet.
Purely discussing a current news article.
If you really cannot stomach the Thai way, then really, you should be looking at finding a new place to stay. Are conditions on the roads going to improve? You must be joking! If anything, they will steadily get worse. The OP talks about such actions actually happening in real life. It wasn't my opinion, it was on national news. Somebody seems to be doing something about it. What I don't know is, was it a renegade police officer having a fit of conscience, or is it a campaign to do things properly. It has nothing to do with whether I can stomach the Thai way. I'm assuming the fact it was on the national news was announcing that it was actually happening.
If you really cannot stomach the Thai way, then really, you should be looking at finding a new place to stay.

:tsk: That old chestnut again. Do you honestly believe I'd have moved here if I couldn't stomach it? OK, I've only lived here 5 years, but have been a regular visitor half of my life. Of course I knew what it was like here, and I accept I can do nothing about it - it still doesn't mean Thailand can't enforce their own laws.

Of course, we also have to acknowledge the fact that driving without a license is to a great extent quite a petty crime (too often resulting in death) if you compare it to some other violations. For example, I would feel safer on a road full of unlicensed drivers who are all driving sensibly than I would on a road full of licensed maniacs. I don't disagree. However, if this policy is going to work, it has to be across the board.

Personally, I think the police should target speeding first. How many cars, with licensed drivers, stick to the speed limit? I travel on the main drag between soi 6 and the city center 4 times a day, and I'm yet to see a car driving within the speed limit. Even people who have licenses here will still pull out without looking and etc. It really is a hopeless situation, but fortunately, I have accepted it now, it simply doesn't even bother me anymore. Speeding is a major problem, and we've all done it from time to time. I used to be terrible when I moved here from a country with a 70mph limit to a country with a 55(ish)mph limit. I say 'ish' because my satnav, which warns me if I exceed the limit shows the crazy variations on every stretch of Thai road. I think in the main (thanks to nagging from Mrs BB) I generally stick to the limit. I think most of us accept it it as a part of living here, but I for one find the statistics to be appalling.

Merry Xmas, or should I rather be saying, merry festive season? :thumb: :D Merry Christmas would be better :wink:

Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Well said, BB. I don't understand why they don't invest in speed cams along Petchkasem. Although expensive, they would pay for themselves in no time. Petchaburi has them. I got a 'photo ticket' for speeding on the Petchkasem road through Samut Sakhon. I was 8 kms over the limit. I've heard of quite a few getting tickets going through Petchaburi. So why not here?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Takiap wrote:...................... but fortunately, I have accepted it now, it simply doesn't even bother me anymore
Unfortunately, this is the whole crux of both this matter, and 95% of the other BS that goes on here. Me first, I am Ok, stuff you Jack!

Merry Christmas.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

Takiap wrote:I agree that better law enforcement would go a long way in making the roads safer here, but I don't think enforcement is as easy as we would like to believe.

Now, let's just say constable Somchai is stationed somewhere and he too is confiscating bikes and cars from people who are breaking the law. How long do you think constable Somchai will remain alive? How long will it be before he gets shot or hacked to death. Alternatively, how long would it be before he loses his job?

Next, I bet there are thousands of policemen in Thailand who ride their bikes with no helmet on, particularly when they are off duty.So, for many Thais, if the police can break the law, then so can I.

Personally, I agree with the whole confiscation thing, but I also don't think the Thai police should be doing it too often because they don't earn enough to be putting their lives on the line.

At the end of the day, we are living in Thailand, and our opinion means absolutely nothing at all. Anyone who can here believing things would change was clearly living on another planet. If you really cannot stomach the Thai way, then really, you should be looking at finding a new place to stay. Are conditions on the roads going to improve? You must be joking! If anything, they will steadily get worse.
I agree, It is an enforcement problem. In the U.S. most people are afraid of Law Enforcement because they know if they break the law they will either go to prison for a long time or if they try to kill a Law Enforcement official they will be shot dead in most cases. In Thailand the Thai people don't seem to fear Law Enforcement officials and in order to have Thai people obey the laws they need to fear the Law. Thailand does not have that many prisons as far as I know, so I think building more prisons and locking up more Thai criminals/Lawbreakers would be a good start. Also, I think having better trained Law Enforcement officials would help, I mean seeing a skinny 120 pound cop in a uniform isn't exactly going to put the fear of god into someone.
Prisons in the U.S. are really bad from what I have heard, they are definitely not like living in a Ritz-Carlton.
But, I don't think anything will change anytime soon either. :laugh: :|
Last edited by Name Taken on Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

:D :D :D You are a lot more optimistic than me Big Boy. Believe me, I don't agree with the Thai way at all, so I guess it is just a matter of me having thrown in the towel. If I got angry every time I saw a driver do something wrong, I would be angry from morning to night, and that is no way to go through life.

Since I first arrived on these shores back in 1997, driving standards have not improved even a little bit. If anything, they have only got worse, probably due to there being more people on the roads, hence the reason why I said I can no longer be bothered even thinking about it.

For what it is worth, I agree 100% with the idea that they should get tough, not only with motorcycles but with all riders/drivers. However, I really believe that most police here don't really give a damn. In fact, they are no better themselves. Also, if you are going to start impounding vehicles, the law needs to apply to one and all, regardless of who you or your daddy is, and that is NOT going to happen in Thailand in my lifetime.

Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact