Thai Drivers License Pranburi

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Drivers License Dec. 7 2016

Post by StevePIraq »

What is the "address notification slip"
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

OK to clear up some confusion...

I went to Cha-Am today to renew my licence. They we adamant that I needed a health certificate and, strangely enough, no matter how many times that I pleaded "but my friend didn't need one", I was sent on my way. Managed to get a certificate from a clinic in Cha-Am... Luckily I'm apparently so healthy looking that I didn't even need to see the doctor; the receptionist happily wrote it out for me in exchange for 80bt.

When I got back I provided the new document, paid my 405bt, went and had a photo taken and was out again within 30 minutes - no reaction tests, videos... nothing. While I was signing my name for the 230th time the woman at the counter explained to me that there is a difference between updating a one or two year licence to a 5 year licence, and renewing a 5 year licence. If you are renewing a 5 year license, the medical certificate is not required, if you are updating a 1/2 year licence to a 5 year one, then a medical certificate is required. I'm assuming that not having to do the reaction tests/training video was also due to the fact that I was going from a 2 year to a 5 year, but I wasn't specifically told that; they might have just taken pity on me because of the initial confusion and me having to go back into town to get the medical certificate.

I have no idea what the situation is if you're exchanging a one or two 2 year licence for another 2 year licence.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Guess I'm one of the fortunate few who managed to get a lifetime licence before they got phased out. They need to make money somewhere.. even if it's every 5 years.. ;)
วินเชนท์
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Pleng wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:01 pm
I have no idea what the situation is if you're exchanging a one or two 2 year licence for another 2 year licence.
I don't think that's an option.
Talk is cheap
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Went Wednesday the 5th to renew the 5 years licences for car and motorbike and had to provide copy of passport, copy of visa and copy of yellow book, one copy of each per licence
Also had to watch an hour video and after paying 960 bahts and the photo session I left with my licences renewed until 2022
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

joelle wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:49 am Went Wednesday the 5th to renew the 5 years licences for car and motorbike and had to provide copy of passport, copy of visa and copy of yellow book, one copy of each per licence
Also had to watch an hour video and after paying 960 bahts and the photo session I left with my licences renewed until 2022
You did not have to provide a letter from Immigration?
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I think the 'yellow book' negated that.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

caller wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:23 pm
If you're on a Tourist visa it's the only option. Or at least it was when I did it two years ago.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Pleng wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:39 pm
caller wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:23 pm
If you're on a Tourist visa it's the only option. Or at least it was when I did it two years ago.
I don't think you can get 5 years on a turist visa.
They told my wife that I don't need medical letters next time I have to renew my 5 years license,but I needed it when I went from a 2 years to 5 years.

:cheers: :cheers:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Fair enough Gents, I wasn't even aware you could get a driving license on a tourist visa!
Talk is cheap
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

bsdk1960 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:20 pm I don't think you can get 5 years on a turist visa.
Correct.
They told my wife that I don't need medical letters next time I have to renew my 5 years license,but I needed it when I went from a 2 years to 5 years.
Yes, that's the information I was given, too.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

To Steve Piraq no need for a letter from immigration just the copy of the yellow book
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

caller wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:05 pm Fair enough Gents, I wasn't even aware you could get a driving license on a tourist visa!
I had a tourist visa,and got 1 years first time, and then 2 years next time ,and 3 weeks ago I got a 5 years on a 1 year
O visa, which is actully nearly 6 years as it expire on my birthday in march 2023,so quite happy with that :D

:cheers: :cheers:
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

joelle wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:40 pm To Steve Piraq no need for a letter from immigration just the copy of the yellow book
Where do you get that info from, Just this week I asked Immigration and was told it is compulsory. A copy of the book can be an old document, the letter is to confirm you still have a valid visa.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

The DLT even gives different requirements which is not unusual in Ting Tong Land. I guess the only way is to take as many documents as you can carry and make the application.
https://www.dlt.go.th/en/one-year-license/
IN CASE OF FOREIGNER RENEW THAI DRIVING LICENCE [BY YOURSELF]
FIVE-YEARS DRIVING LICENCE
HAVE TO PREPARE THE DOCUMENTS AS FOLLOW
1 ORIGINAL FIVE-YEARS THAI DRIVING LICENCE
2 PASSPORT WITH NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)
3 ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT WITH ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY

PROCEDURE
1 CHECK THE DOCUMENTS
2 PRINT THE APPLICATION FORM
3 TAKE ONLY A PHYSICAL TEST
TAKE A TRAINING 1 HOURS
TAKE A PHYSICAL TEST
TAKE A THEORY TEST
TAKE A PRACTICAL TEST
4 PAY THE FEE / TAKE A PHOTO AND PRINT DRIVING LICENCE
(FEE 505 BAHT AND PLASTIC SMART CARD 100 BAHT)
ADDITIONAL (CHANGE NAME OR ADDRESS CHARGE 50 BAHT)