Thai Drivers License Pranburi

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Drivers License Dec. 7 2016

Post by caller »

A few questions I need help with please.

I have to renew my current two year licence in 12 days. I did my driving test and secured my license in Korat, do I need to go back there or can I go to Hua Hin? A change of address has been declared to immigration, but not in respect of my license.

Is there any difference in a first renewal, to what I have read above about renewing a 5-year license?

If I can go to Hua Hin, Where is the transport office?

Many thanks. :thumb:
Talk is cheap
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Sorry, one other thing, is there a form I need to download for my license application or is this all done at the office?
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My daughter always sorts me out admin wise, but the offices are either Cha-Am or Pranburi.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Not heard of a two year licence. It is either 1 year or 5 years. Unless it has changed no paper work and the photo is done at the office on a machine that also produces the licence. Depending where you go and which side of the bed they got out of, you may or may not need a medical certificate. Can be done at any DLT office.

Have a read through the following:

http://www.huahinforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... ce#p333588

Note that you have 1 year after your licence expires, and if done just after your birth date you will get nearly 6 years.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think the 2 year licence replaced the 1 year licence.

Points 41; Position 18
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:21 pm I think the 2 year licence replaced the 1 year licence.
I believe that is correct. I previously held a license when working here about 12 years ago for a car. That was renewed after quite a battle with transport for 5 years. My motorcle licence was fairly straight forward. As I had never had a motorcycle licence before in Thailand it was granted without issue for an initial period of 2 years.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:21 pm I think the 2 year licence replaced the 1 year licence.
Well, there you go then! About par for the course.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

I just renew my 2 years motorbike and car driver license last week.
I should provide copy of passport,visa,entrance stamp from passport( didnt have that ) and yellow book.
2 medical letters from a doctor and the 2 old licenses.
Have to do the usual colour and brake text and 1 more which I dont no the name of :oops:
I have to sit and look at a video for 1 hour and was on the way with 2 new driver licenses valid to my birthday in marts 2023.
Cost for the both of them 950 baht
We went to Dlt in Pranburi at 09.30 and there were not so many people ,could have been out in 20 min.if I didnt have to watch this stupid video,most thai men sit and looked at their mobile phone. :tsk:
Good luck

:cheers: :cheers:
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

bsdk1960 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:52 pm I just renew my 2 years motorbike and car driver license last week.
I should provide copy of passport,visa,entrance stamp from passport( didnt have that ) and yellow book.
2 medical letters from a doctor and the 2 old licenses.
Have to do the usual colour and brake text and 1 more which I dont no the name of :oops:
I have to sit and look at a video for 1 hour and was on the way with 2 new driver licenses valid to my birthday in marts 2023.
Cost for the both of them 950 baht
We went to Dlt in Pranburi at 09.30 and there were not so many people ,could have been out in 20 min.if I didnt have to watch this stupid video,most thai men sit and looked at their mobile phone. :tsk:
Good luck

Colour test? is this colour blindness test for traffic lights etc? I am colour blind and drive on my international licence while in Thailand. I do see men in brown fairly easily
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, its a colour blindness test.

Points 41; Position 18
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

HHTel wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:49 pm Residence letter from immigration (1 for car and 1 for bike) at 500 baht a pop. For that you need a photo, copies of your passport (ID page, latest stamp, departure card, address notification slip), all those copies again for Transport office (2 x if for 2 licences), copy of front and back of your current licence(s), original licence(s) and cash (555 baht for car, 305 for bike plus 100 for each licence picture).
I went early at 8am and was finished before 11.
So is a medical certificate not required for renewal?
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

I just got my first 5 years licence,and they told my wife we dont need the medical certificate next time,but there nearly 6 years to next time so will defently check when time comes closer.

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Pleng wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:42 pm
HHTel wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:49 pm Residence letter from immigration (1 for car and 1 for bike) at 500 baht a pop. For that you need a photo, copies of your passport (ID page, latest stamp, departure card, address notification slip), all those copies again for Transport office (2 x if for 2 licences), copy of front and back of your current licence(s), original licence(s) and cash (555 baht for car, 305 for bike plus 100 for each licence picture).
I went early at 8am and was finished before 11.
So is a medical certificate not required for renewal?
I was told that I didn't need one which proved true. But things change!!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Well, I just renewed my initial 2 year license (obtained in Korat) down at Pranburi and left with a shiny new 5 year license. The whole process took all of 20 minutes. I was a bit concerned whether language would be a barrier, but it wasn't an issue at all.

I went forearmed with the certificate of residence from immigration and medical certificate from Sao Paulo, which cost 375 baht, where I had my blood pressure checked and was then asked various questions about my health and finally had some sort of eye test, which consisted of identifying different coloured numbers disguised amongst various different coloured backgrounds. Then I saw the Doctor who apart from asking me what team I supported - he was a Liverpool fan - checked me over with a stethoscope.

In addition, I obviously had my passport and one copy each of three different pages of my passport (COA stamped into passport by immigration, personal details and leave to remain stamp), which I had to sign and on a separate proforma I had to write my name and phone number.

I was tested on a rapidly changing traffic light and had to shout out each colour I saw (red, amber, green), then my reaction to emergency braking and finally on that gizmo where from a distance you have to press a couple of buttons to bring two different poles to the same level. I passed all three at the first attempt.

I then sat down for a couple of minutes before being called to pay the fee, then had my photo taken and was handed my completed license.

Of interest was the seeming failure of a young Thai - not sure if make or female - taking the above tests with me. They managed okay with the traffic light test, but three times failed the brake test and the test where you need to bring the poles level. Afterwards, instead of being told to take a seat to wait for their license, they were handed some sort of yellow docket and sent elsewhere, maybe to get an eye test?

I know the above is common knowledge to many of you, but it might help someone new to this process..
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

medical certificate from Sao Paulo, which cost 375 baht, where I had my blood pressure checked and was then asked various questions about my health and finally had some sort of eye test, which consisted of identifying different coloured numbers disguised amongst various different coloured backgrounds. Then I saw the Doctor who apart from asking me what team I supported -
Actually, not needed now.

They didn't require you to sit through a very stupid, inaccurate and boring video?

20 mins! You did well.