Thai Drivers License Pranburi

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Re: Drivers License Dec. 7 2016

Post by johnjar »

My uk car licence expires before my Thai car licence expires and do not intend to renew my uk one. I got my Thai car license based having valid uk car license. My question is do I have to show a valid uk car license when I renew my Thai car licence or just show my Thai licence?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Just Thai.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:32 pmJust Thai.
Thanks BB :)
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I'm confused (as always) on a couple of things. I have to change my Thai driving license from a 1 year to a 5 year soon. Looking at the above posts:

Do I wait for it to expire first?
Do I need to first obtain some sort of medical certificate as mentioned above?
I'm fairly sure I need a proof of address certificate from immigration.

The rest I'm OK on.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Yes you do need an address certificate from immigration but I'm not sure about a med certificate for your first 5 year licence. I'd get one anyway, they only cost peanuts.
You'll find your licence expires on your birthday so going after your birthday (1 day is enough), you will get 5 years from your next birthday. Hence, almost 6 years.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

HHTel wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:28 am Yes you do need an address certificate from immigration but I'm not sure about a med certificate for your first 5 year licence. I'd get one anyway, they only cost peanuts.
You'll find your licence expires on your birthday so going after your birthday (1 day is enough), you will get 5 years from your next birthday. Hence, almost 6 years.
Thanks HHTel, but my license issued at Pran Buri says it expires exactly 365 days after the issue date, nowhere near my birthday. I guess I'll go one day after the expiry date this month.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: Drivers License Dec. 7 2016

Post by hhinner »

404cameljockey wrote:
HHTel wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:28 am Yes you do need an address certificate from immigration but I'm not sure about a med certificate for your first 5 year licence. I'd get one anyway, they only cost peanuts.
Thanks HHTel, but my license issued at Pran Buri says it expires exactly 365 days after the issue date, nowhere near my birthday. I guess I'll go one day after the expiry date this month.
Your new 5 year licence will expire on the 5th anniversary of your next birthday so it makes no difference if you wait until the day after the 1 year (?? surely should be 2 year ??) expires or not.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

hhinner wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:17 pm
404cameljockey wrote:
Your new 5 year licence will expire on the 5th anniversary of your next birthday so it makes no difference if you wait until the day after the 1 year (?? surely should be 2 year ??) expires or not.
The first drivers license issued in Thailand is a 12 month one (Type: 'Temporary Car') and it expires 365 days after the issue date. It says so on the card. I guess the full license I get next will follow the birthday rule. Cheers.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think it changed to a 2 year (Temporary Car) a while ago.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

404cameljockey wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:24 pmThe first drivers license issued in Thailand is a 12 month one (Type: 'Temporary Car') and it expires 365 days after the issue date. It says so on the card. I guess the full license I get next will follow the birthday rule. Cheers.
Is that new then? I got my first license in 2015 and it was for 2 years. The five year license does indeed expire on a birthdate, this has in effect, made mine a 5 years and 10 months license.
Talk is cheap
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Evidently it did. It is all posted further back in this thread. I guess some offices still had old stock at the time and as with everything else: "near enough is good enough!"
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

404cameljockey wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:13 am I have to change my Thai driving license from a 1 year to a 5 year soon. Looking at the above posts:

Yes you need a medical certificate if moving from a 1 or 2 year license to a 5 year. You don't need it when renewing a 5 year to another 5 year one... but probably best to check back again in 5 years time on that one :)
Nereus wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:39 pm
Evidently it did. It is all posted further back in this thread. I guess some offices still had old stock at the time and as with everything else: "near enough is good enough!"
When I renewed my first 1 year license I was on a tourist visa so they told me "you're a tourist so you only get a 1 or 2 year license, not a 5 year" so I'm assuming they have both and give out which ever one they feel like :)
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Ooooh..

I apologise guys, it expires Dec 2018. So it's 2 years.

See, I TOLD you I'm always confused. :banghead:

Sorry. But at least I know what docs have to be taken to the office THIS year. :idea:
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Pleng wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:21 pm Yes you need a medical certificate if moving from a 1 or 2 year license to a 5 year. You don't need it when renewing a 5 year to another 5 year one... but probably best to check back again in 5 years time on that one :)
Thank you! :)
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

404cameljockey wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:13 am I'm confused (as always) on a couple of things. I have to change my Thai driving license from a 1 year to a 5 year soon. Looking at the above posts:

Do I wait for it to expire first?
I'm fairly sure I need a proof of address certificate from immigration.
I renewed my temporary 2 year license today. Wasn't due for 3 weeks. I'd read that if you're even 1 day late they make you apply and take tests as if it were your first time. Those posts didn't link to anything official, but I didn't want to take that chance.

For last 2 questions, answers are:
Yes
Yes

BTH, the clinic on 55/1 said 'Sorry, no' to my request for a medical certificate.