Why do some farang not wear motorcycle helmets?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Why do some farang not wear motorcycle helmets?

Post by StevePIraq »

People who choose to not wear a helmet are one of 2 things, and this applies in any country not just Thailand.
1. Stupid and I would not wish to imply anyone is stupid.
2. Inconsiderate - Do these people ever think that in the event of an accident and they do not die but receive are permanent head injury, someone will have to take care of them for the rest of their life, both physically and financially. What about your partner, children, extended family who all now have to cope with you becoming a vegetable because you had the "right to choose".
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
sidthesloth
Amateur
Amateur

Post by sidthesloth »

Felipesed1 wrote: Sid, you stick with your 200 baht helmet, apparently it is the same value as your head!
Space Crowns are 480 - 600 baht

According to their website they say their helmets strictly adhere and conforms to all T.I.S.I. safety standards, whatever that means. That should put your mind at ease :wink:

http://www.spacecrownhelmet.com/company.php

As far as I'm concerned, my helmet is sufficient to protect me from a normal knock on the asphalt. If I was to be hit with enough force to break my helmet I don't reckon my body would survive anyhow. It's also very comfortable so I always wear it.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Just because they say they comply does not mean they do or they would state the TISI licence number.

They say they comply with all TISI safety standards, there is only one TISI safety standard for Protective Helmets for Vehicle Users so how can they comply with ALL standards.

If you look on their web site for product details for a particular helmet it is blank which says a lot http://www.spacecrownhelmet.com/productsId.php?pID=3#

But they do look nice
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Drgonzo
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Drgonzo »

Stargeezer wrote:Some people do not wear helmets because they are idiots no matter where they
might be. I have only had two motorcycle accidents and both times my helmet has
saved my life. Thailand is no different.
Geezer
I apologise but I can't let this go unpunished. You have fallen off your motorbike not once but twice yet somebody else is an idiot.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

StevePIraq wrote:Inconsiderate - Do these people ever think that in the event of an accident and they do not die but receive are permanent head injury, someone will have to take care of them for the rest of their life, both physically and financially. What about your partner, children, extended family who all now have to cope with you becoming a vegetable because you had the "right to choose".
This fits the vast majority of people, sadly.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

Drgonzo wrote:
Stargeezer wrote:Some people do not wear helmets because they are idiots no matter where they
might be. I have only had two motorcycle accidents and both times my helmet has
saved my life. Thailand is no different.
Geezer
I apologise but I can't let this go unpunished. You have fallen off your motorbike not once but twice yet somebody else is an idiot.
Drgonzo, you really are rookie! The Geezer said he has had two accidents in which the helmet saved him. He did not say he had fallen off the motorcycle on two occasions. Big difference that. If you have an accident there is a good chance you are going to come off the bike. Having more that one motorcycle accident in Thailand is not unusual.

You might wanna check that thread about 'reading ability" also running on this forum.

Cheers!
Drgonzo
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Drgonzo »

"To lose one parent may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Drgonzo wrote:"To lose one parent may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."
To add to what centermid said, it's more than likely somebody could have pulled out from a side street and caused the accident, so whose being careless there?