Expressway toll pass

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Expressway toll pass

Post by Bristolian »

Big Boy wrote: Is a pass time limited? i.e. I don't travel through Bangkok very often, so if I bought one, could I put a load of money on it, and still be using it in 3 years time, so long as there's credit on it?
There is no time limit on the credit but the battery in the unit lasts around 2 years. I'm on my 3rd unit. As far As I know you can not exchange the battery yourself but simply exchange the unit leaving the existing mounting affixed to the windscreen.

I use the tollways regularly and having the Easy Pass works well, except when you get a country bumpkin try to use the Easy Pass lane expecting to still be able to pay cash. At busy times this usually means that all of the following traffic needs to back up, allowing the idiot to change to a pay booth.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I travel to Bangkok so rarely I don't intend to get the easy pass, but out of interest, do you get a discount by buying in advance or is it just ease of use as the main benefit?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Such a shame that one pass doesn't cover all toll booths - I'd have definitely considered it else.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Big Boy wrote:My enquiry is about the benefits (and hidden benefits) of using a card.

"Believe me, I've done nothing, I am just a victim of their over active imagination/racism. I will rarely even say hello to them, because I know as they start spouting their crap, I would do myself absolutely no favours, and I'd totally lose it.

The last time I was stopped, the woman in the toll booth saw the colour of my skin and woke the BIB up while he was asleep on the other side of the booth - obviously she received a % of the tea money. He stepped in front of my car, wrote down the registration, and then presented that as evidence that he'd received a report that somebody with my registration had driven on the hard shoulder from Hua Hin to Bangkok.

I said absolutely nothing, but the Thais in the car went absolutely crazy. He must have had rhino skin. He asked for my licence, and wouldn't give it back. In the end the Thais bought it back, and he walked off grinning from ear to ear. I have absolutely no time whatsoever for those Bangkok toll booth vultures."

"Obviously luck of the draw, although I think passing through Bangkok between 9am and midday is the highest risk.

Likewise in Hua Hin, the high risk time is 8:30am until 12:30pm, although you do encounter the odd rogue roadblock at other times. In Hua Hin they are quite easy to avoid with experience, although I'm rarely in that much of a hurry, so don't bother."

I get it now...Do as I say,not as I do.....

Those two posts of yours would be of zero assistance to the OP!
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote:Such a shame that one pass doesn't cover all toll booths - I'd have definitely considered it else.
Where does it say that? :?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Big Boy wrote:Such a shame that one pass doesn't cover all toll booths - I'd have definitely considered it else.

As I understand it EASY PASS covers ALL the tollways in the BKK Metropolitan area. I have never come across any tollway that does not have a blue easy pass lane.

The M PASS card covers the Expressway from BKK to Chonburi
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Sorry, you'll have to humour me. EASY PASS and M PASS - similar functionality, but cover different motorways. Is that right please? I'm assuming I could be on a Tollway, and suddenly find myself on the Expressway or vice-versa. My fear is that I be one of Bristolians 'Country Bumpkins' because I really don't know my way around there very well.
Those two posts of yours would be of zero assistance to the OP!
Correct :clap:

They were sub-questions, prompted by the OP, which resulted in other questions which would have been rude to ignore. I believe the OP's question had already been answered.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

At one time you needed 2 different cards: one Easy Pass for Expressways, one M card for Motorway, now the one card does both.
The only one that I do not know about is the Elevated Toll way, both in Bangkok and to Chomburi. As they use a system of pay for distance when you exit, I suppose that the common cards do not work.

Different words for different roads, ask a taxi driver and he will call it a "highway".(even before he tries to rob you).
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:banghead: :laugh: LOL now an Elevated Toll way- why make it easy? :D

Better I stick to the airport bus and taxis unless there is absolutely no alternative. I wonder how many 'Country Bumpkins' exist because they thought they had the right pass.

:idea: Actually, there is only one set of toll booths where the vultures hunt their prey, so maybe a pass for that one, and just pay cash at all of the others.

Points 48; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Nereus wrote:At one time you needed 2 different cards: one Easy Pass for Expressways, one M card for Motorway, now the one card does both.
The only one that I do not know about is the Elevated Toll way, both in Bangkok and to Chomburi. As they use a system of pay for distance when you exit, I suppose that the common cards do not work.

Different words for different roads, ask a taxi driver and he will call it a "highway".(even before he tries to rob you).
The expressway from rama II going to the airport also uses the distance charge and that certainly has 'Easy-Pass'
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

HHTel wrote:
Nereus wrote:At one time you needed 2 different cards: one Easy Pass for Expressways, one M card for Motorway, now the one card does both.

The expressway from rama II going to the airport also uses the distance charge and that certainly has 'Easy-Pass'
What I meant by distance charge is that you get a card where you enter and pay when you exit.
Not sure just which expressway you are referring to, but I do use the entry from Rama 2 and you will not get on to it without paying, or using an Easy Pass card. There are some, such as the exit to Impact Arena where you have to pay a fee, but not the expressway going to the airport.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The expressway from rama II Bankae junction to BangNa (IKEA) junction. You collect a card on entry and pay on exit the same as the Chonburi expressway. There are definitely Easy Pass tolls so the cards must handle it somehow.