Oil Change

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Oil Change

Post by Pagey »

I'm taking my car in for it's test to get it taxed as it's over 7 years old. I want them to change the oil at the same time, can you specify what oil you want them to use or should I buy it and take it with me ?

The car has a turbo and they recommend you change the oil every 5,000 km's. :cheers: :cheers:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Oil Change

Post by Nereus »

Pagey wrote:I'm taking my car in for it's test to get it taxed as it's over 7 years old. I want them to change the oil at the same time, can you specify what oil you want them to use or should I buy it and take it with me ?
The car has a turbo and they recommend you change the oil every 5,000 km's. :cheers: :cheers:
Most places have several different brands and grades of oil, so you can select one. I always take my own as many places do not have what I prefer.

What is more important is to make sure they change the oil filter at the same time. That's where you may have a problem as there are many different types of filters.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Nereus wrote:
Pagey wrote:I'm taking my car in for it's test to get it taxed as it's over 7 years old. I want them to change the oil at the same time, can you specify what oil you want them to use or should I buy it and take it with me ?
Most places have several different brands and grades of oil, so you can select one. I always take my own as many places do not have what I prefer.

What is more important is to make sure they change the oil filter at the same time. That's where you may have a problem as there are many different types of filters.
Not had the oil change done yet, ordered the correct filter from BKK which has arrived. :thumb:

I've asked 2 people which oil they recommend to use here and one said 5W40 and one 10W40. Any other opinions? Also which brand, one garage owner said Liqui Moly ?

And finally where to take it to get the oil changed and a service and brakes checked/adjusted ? It's a Jap import with no main dealer here and no service history in the book so any small outfit will do.

Thanks. :cheers:

Man in pub circa 1987.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I assume it is a diesel?

Stick with 10W40, 5W is for lower ambient temperatures. Liqui Moly is an additive, comes under various names and is a liquid form of Molybdenum disulfide. Most older engines are better operated on a straight mineral oil, rather than a synthetic, but all oils have some type of additives.

There is a bewildering range of oils, and many variables to be considered, so really need to know just what engine it is. An international standard, such as API, lists the specifications of lubricating oils, and applications. Some diesel engine oils, such as a series 3 rating, are high detergent oils and will rapidly wreck a small high speed engine. As you have stated that it has a turbo, then then are several "pick up" oils of various brands that are suitable.

If it is a petrol engine, then it is even more important to use the correct oil, NOT oil suitable for a diesel.

Did you not ask the place that did your tax inspection? The shop at that place has a big range of oils, it is where I buy mine.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

It's a turbo petrol engine. 12 years old but only travelled 25,000 km's.

No I didn't ask at the inspection place as I took your advice and ordered a filter so I wasn't prepared but I can/have to go back there anyway as it still isn't taxed. :guns: :cuss: :banghead:

When I went to pick up my tax disc they told me the blue book was changed to Prachuap when I bought it in Feb but the number plate was still a Bkk plate so they couldn't tax it. So now 3,500 baht lighter and have to wait 2-4 weeks for a new plate, which is doubly annoying as I had a nice 3 number plate. :cry:

Man in pub circa 1987.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Ok, must be a rocket! For me there is only one oil that I would recommend, and that is Castrol Magnatec 10W40.

http://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united-kin ... natec.html

It is a semi synthetic oil with an API rating of: API SL/CF. They have it at that shop, about 1,000 Baht for 4 litres.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Nereus wrote:Ok, must be a rocket! For me there is only one oil that I would recommend, and that is Castrol Magnatec 10W40.

It is a semi synthetic oil with an API rating of: API SL/CF. They have it at that shop, about 1,000 Baht for 4 litres.
Thanks Nereus, I will ask them to do the change and service using that oil.

It's only a small rocket........ :dance: :dance: :dance:

Man in pub circa 1987.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Pagey wrote:
Nereus wrote:Ok, must be a rocket! For me there is only one oil that I would recommend, and that is Castrol Magnatec 10W40.

Thanks Nereus, I will ask them to do the change and service using that oil.

It's only a small rocket........ :dance: :dance: :dance:

But a very beautiful small rocket :wink:
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

:D :cheers: :rasta:

Man in pub circa 1987.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Come on now......let's see a photo of it! :thumb: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

And finally where to take it to get the oil changed and a service and brakes checked/adjusted ? It's a Jap import with no main dealer here and no service history in the book so any small outfit will do.
Hmm, adjust the brakes? Surely it has disc brakes? Possibly has drums on the rear and discs on the front.
No adjustment required on disc brakes, just check that there is sufficient material remaining on the pads. If drums on the rear the only way to check the remaining lining is to remove the drums and inspect what is there. Usually the hand brake is on the rear, regardless of disc or drums, and may need adjusting.
any small outfit will do
Be a bit careful with this. I once asked that shop where you had your inspection done to change the oil in my Land Rover.(I had both the oil and filter with me). They did not want to do it and their answer was "we do not know about European cars". So if it is not a run of the mill common car they may be over their depth.

If it is your pride and joy I would advise you to at least take it for advice to "L Garage" opposite the palace. K. Pichai speaks good English and will tell you straight.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

prcscct wrote:Come on now......let's see a photo of it! :thumb: Pete :cheers:
Will I?????? :oops: :roll:
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

I've just checked and it is discs on the front and drums on the rear. They just don't seem as sharp/keen as I am used to.

I thought the inspection garage was where you had yours done or you just bought your oil from there?

I've heard mention of a good garage opposite the palace but didn't know it's name so I will definitely take it there, will I be better off taking the oil with me there also ?

I'm in the process of ordering a couple of bits from Lazada so I checked the Castrol oil and they have 2 10W 40 Magnatec, one does say semi synthetic and says for petrol, LPG etc and is a lot more expensive, are they the same beast ? I would have expected them to be cheaper than the garage in HH.

http://www.lazada.co.th/castrol-10w-40- ... ml?boost=3

http://www.lazada.co.th/castrol-magnate ... ml?boost=3

Man in pub circa 1987.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I think it is a misprint. The more expensive one is fully synthetic. I use the cheaper one, which I think was 1050 Baht for 4 litres. I just buy it at that shop and take it to my own garage to change. It also shows an API rating of: เหนือมาตรฐาน
API SN, which is good for what you have posted.

With brakes, be aware that brake fluid is hydroscopic and should be changed every 4 or 5 years. Moisture build up can lead to corrosion and brake fade.

Don't see what the problem would be taking you own oil, but you need to know the quantity required. It is also available in 1 litre packs, so you make only need 1 x 4 litres, plus a couple of 1 litre packs.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Thanks for all the advice Nereus,

One final question (I hope), is this L Garage right on the main road and easy to spot ? Thinking of driving there this afternoon to ask him if he can do the work early next week.

Man in pub circa 1987.