Action plan aims to cut road carnage

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

You have to wonder just what some of these bods are on:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... ad-carnage

Deadly highway blackspots, speed limits and vehicle safety systems are the key targets of a new national action plan designed to curb road deaths.

The Transport Ministry announced the comprehensive road safety plan in a bid to reduce the road toll -- the world's second highest per capita -- and stem an estimated 200 billion baht in annual economic...

Speed is the top cause of road accidents, accounting for 72.7% of all crashes, followed by changing lanes in an unsafe manner (8.89%) and driver fatigue (4.98%).

On average, between one and two people are killed every hour. The economic damage is estimated at 200 billion baht a year, or about 1.7% of GDP.

and then this:
Mr Chaiwat said there were 69,371 road accidents last year, a 10% increase from the year before.
A total of 6,268 people were killed and 18,160 injured.

More nonsense at the link.................................
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Re: Action plan aims to cut road carnage

Post by Big Boy »

What about:

- Teaching people how to drive properly?
- Severe punishments for those without licences?
- Proper policing?

:banghead:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Another squadron of pigs standing by ready for take off....
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

Another train/pickup accident elsewhere in thailand. Driver was 67 year old thai. There is no chance of an improvement in the accident rate with a mentality like this....

"Mr Sutin said he decided to dodge around the safety barrier because he thought he could get cross to the other side of the crossing before the train reached it. The elderly driver believed the family escaped death or serious injury because of supernatural help from the amulets he and his nephew were carrying. "

But the train driver Thammarong Jaritngarm thought otherwise. “Luckily I was slowing down and the severity of the crash was diminished, and so the whole family has survived.”

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... rain-crash
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

For once and to be reluctant in agreeing with anything any Thai ministry says.... I have to reluctantly agree.......

I live in one of the most conjested areas of inner Bangkok and by far the largest cause of accidents and congestion is caused at "tragic" intersections by self important, self centered, ignorant, spatially unaware, incompetent selfish morons

If drivers were only willing to follow directions and signage, forget that they are more important than everyone else in the queue, then we might make progress.... 16 years and not holding my breath.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Big Boy wrote:What about:

- Teaching people how to drive properly?
- Severe punishments for those without licences?

:banghead:
I totally agree with these. Mandatory training by a certified instructor would do wonders.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It appears that most people seem to have identified the two key issues, first the need for proper training - at the moment too many drivers are unaware of the potential they possess of being in control of a killing machine if not properly controlled, and then it's the need for the BIB and the authorities to properly implement the law - that means more patrol cars, more cameras, real fines that will act as a deterrent and last but by no means least, a points system and loss of licence as operated in most western countries. Now all we need to do is wait.........and wait..........and wait for it to happen.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Dannie Boy wrote:It appears that most people seem to have identified the two key issues, first the need for proper training - at the moment too many drivers are unaware of the potential they possess of being in control of a killing machine if not properly controlled, and then it's the need for the BIB and the authorities to properly implement the law - that means more patrol cars, more cameras, real fines that will act as a deterrent and last but by no means least, a points system and loss of licence as operated in most western countries. Now all we need to do is wait.........and wait..........and wait for it to happen.

Actually, I think one of the main issues hasn't even been mentioned in this thread yet........attitude, and attitude is not something which is going to change as a result of driving tests and etc. Far too many Thai people appear to have a deep-rooted belief that they, as an individual, are the most important person on the planet. When the pull out in front of you, it's not because they don't know how to drive, it's because they simply believe they have the right to do as they please.

Personally, I think serious fines/penalties would have the biggest impact, but of course, that would mean that traffic laws must be enforced, but let's not forget that the police, as individuals, have the same attitude as everyone else when they are behind the wheel, particularly when they are off duty.

There are millions (I hope) of Thais who have licenses, but they still do what they want when they are driving. Again, it is all about "I'm the most important person in the world" attitude.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Takiap wrote:it's not because they don't know how to drive, it's because they simply believe they have the right to do as they please.
But is this not the education part of LEARNING to drive properly?
Takiap wrote:Personally, I think serious fines/penalties would have the biggest impact
I agree 100%, but that would mean proper policing, and the tea fund not being a soft alternative.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

As my Thai wife says "why worry just drive correct yourself and leave them to kill themselves". My argument has always been what happens when the clowns drive into me, she never has an answer for that.

This will be a multi generational change if it can be changed.

In India the traffic police were asked how to change the bad driving there, there answer was it is impossible to change now as bad driving is now so imbedded in society no one sees any wrong in it.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali