Govt mulls law on drink drive passengers

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
buksida

Govt mulls law on drink drive passengers

Post by buksida »

The government is studying the possibility of adopting a law where passengers travelling in the same car as a driver found guilty of driving under the influence also face charges associated with the driver's drink-driving offences.

After discussing the matter at Tuesday's cabinet meeting, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha ordered officials to find out if such a law could be adopted in Thailand, as it has been elsewhere, said Deputy Transport Minister Ormsin Chivapruck. The ministry brought up the matter as it reported on law changes it is proposing.

The PM also wanted the ministry to look into the possibility of lowering city driving speeds and stepping up punishments for speeding, Mr Ormsin said.

The ministry has amended the law to make the issuing of licences more difficult but their suspension easier, to allow revocation of a licence for personal cars, and increase punishment for people driving without a licence, he said.

Two points in the law regarding driving licences for public vehicles had also been amended, Mr Ormsin said.

Source: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... law-on-way
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Re: Govt mulls law on drink drive passengers

Post by Big Boy »

That will make it very risky when using taxis or buses.

The speeding thing in cities is a funny (not funny ha ha) one. Yes, I probably drive a little over the limit around town, but there are usually vehicles passing me, especially on Petchkasem. Twice now, I have been singled out and stopped by the BIB (not looking for tea money) and told to slow down. On both occasions I was travelling the same speed as the rest of the traffic on Petchkasem i.e. it was too busy to drive fast, and on those occasions it was highly unlikely that I was driving over the limit. Of course, it isn't worth arguing and a nod and a smile was sufficient. On both occasions, the BIB had no tool for measuring my speed, so does this become a new tool for gathering tea money?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote:so does this become a new tool for gathering tea money?
In Hua Hin, highly likely.

The major problem with policing drink driving is that the police don't police. You rarely see them at night outside of tourist towns where they're out lining their pockets. Most fatal accidents occur on the highways and A-roads where there are no cops during the day, let alone at night when a lot more people are driving half cut. But I don't believe any road law thought up here has the intention of saving lives or improving safety - but then again I am a cynical bastard!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Under another change, all passengers in a car must fasten their seat belts, he said,
But of course the 20+ standing like sardines at the back of the truck are fine!!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I am all for the proposed change and it can be implemented it all depends on determination. HH has to be amongst the worst places in Ting Tong Land for driving.

On the subject of Tea Money, I have never been asked for or paid Tea Money.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
buksida

Post by buksida »

If you've paid a fine for a traffic violation that is above the official govt rate for that fine or you haven't been given a receipt you've paid tea money.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

They can make new traffic laws until they're blue in the face. It's useless unless the MIB get off their butts and enforce them, and that doesn't mean roadblocks under the shady mango tree by the side of the road! :banghead: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote:If you've paid a fine for a traffic violation that is above the official govt rate for that fine or you haven't been given a receipt you've paid tea money.
I've never paid for a traffic violation. Always a complete figment of the BIB's imagination. Last time was for driving from Hua Hin to Bangkok on the hard shoulder - they're so convincing with their stories that you actually start to think, "Did I?"
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18