Pavement repairs for Petchakasem Road

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
buksida

Pavement repairs for Petchakasem Road

Post by buksida »

Hua Hin Municipality in cooperation of the Hua Hin Highway Authority is planning to improve the pavements along Petchakasem Road.

The Chairman of the coordinating committee, Mr. Siraphan Kamolpramot has held a meeting to discuss how to improve the pavement from the intersection near the Hua Hin Municipality to Chiva Som, as the pavement is currently studded with billboards and advertising signs that affect driving conditions. Some of the pavement is damaged, or dominated by sellers.

Access for the disabled is also an issue and some planted trees are damaged, affecting the overall landscape of the city. Mr. Aphikhun Sirakhunchai, who designed the pavement, is involved in planning the pavement renovation with the Municipality which is responsible for repairs. The municipality will continue repairs to pavements on Damnern Kasem, Sra Song, Chom Sin and other roads in the city.

Source: Hua Hin Today
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Pavement repairs for Petchakasem Road

Post by migrant »

Good for the long term, but will cause quite the traffic problems!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

One important hazard they haven't mentioned is low flying road signs. Thais can walk under them without hindrance, but when you're 6' 5" tall, they are a real hazard. Basically where do you look? Do you watch the pavement for pot holes. or do you look high for low flying road signs?

I'm a martyr to the cause. I guess removing 50% of the hazard will mean I can keep my eyes in the sky. However, they're only doing half a job - TIT.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

The authorities need to employ proper inspectors who fine offenders for blocking the pavements in any way. Oh well I can dream can't I.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Big Boy wrote:One important hazard they haven't mentioned is low flying road signs. Thais can walk under them without hindrance, but when you're 6' 5" tall, they are a real hazard. Basically where do you look? Do you watch the pavement for pot holes. or do you look high for low flying road signs?

I'm a martyr to the cause. I guess removing 50% of the hazard will mean I can keep my eyes in the sky. However, they're only doing half a job - TIT.
I'm 5'4", never gave this a second thought until you mentioned it.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

At 6' I don't have the problems BB does, but remember my first trip to Asia. Went to S Korea with ex wife. Walking down the sidewalk in the rain it was dangerous, all the umbrella spikes were at eye level!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

migrant wrote:At 6' I don't have the problems BB does, but remember my first trip to Asia. Went to S Korea with ex wife. Walking down the sidewalk in the rain it was dangerous, all the umbrella spikes were at eye level!!
But I'll bet you can't walk through Hua Hin with an umbrella up for more than 10 yards.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Have to wait to see if the improvements are implemented. 2 years ago funds were allocated to bury overhead services along Phetkasem, guess what, it never happened.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Big Boy wrote:
migrant wrote:At 6' I don't have the problems BB does, but remember my first trip to Asia. Went to S Korea with ex wife. Walking down the sidewalk in the rain it was dangerous, all the umbrella spikes were at eye level!!
But I'll bet you can't walk through Hua Hin with an umbrella up for more than 10 yards.
True!!!! :cheers:
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Walking on a pedestrian pavement/sidewalk any-where in Thailand is impossible for more than a couple of minutes before you are obstructed by trees, unused telephone boxes, power boxes, telephone poles, street sellers, tailors, promotional banners, unfinished repairs, needed repairs.....
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

eventually the thais will consult with foreign others and observe how this problem has been solved in their countries, then do the opposite. welcome to the land of everything backwards.
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

It was strange to see them paving both sides on Soi 112 and Kanal Road for a long distances a few years back, very rarely see anyone walking on them, the odd expat taking exercise, and they are now mainly overgrown with weeds. Thought at the time the money could have been better spent repaving Phetkasem road.

On a similar topic I think the new cycle path south of town is great, street lights the full length, but who cycles there at night, wouldn't it have been better to use the money to install lights on the unlit sections of the main road?
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Walking from the Sport Villa to Market Village the pavement has lots of broken and sunken paving to the point you can be forced to walk on the road even without the street vendors taking up the space done this with a push chair a few years back bloody hard work. Their was also the mother of all pavement holes outside the Pizza Company it was about 1.3 metres deep and big enough for a small child to fall into.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.