Motorcycle 3rd party insurance - small bike, where/ how much?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Bilbo52

Motorcycle 3rd party insurance - small bike, where/ how much?

Post by Bilbo52 »

Can anyone advise me on a good place (ie broker or other outlet) to purchase 3rd party insurance for a 110cc motorbike and the cost for a year. I am not referring to the government compulsory insurance. A standard insurance to cover 3rd party damage is what I am after, BTW the bike is old so not worth nicking, therefore damage, fire and theft not required. Many thanks.
Big Boy

Re: Motorcycle 3rd party insurance - small bike, where/ how much?

Post by Big Boy »

My son has just purchased his for his 110cc Honda Scoopy from AA Insurance. Cost was 3,283 Baht (I think).
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

I would also endorse AA Insurance. Good guys and good staff. Anyone who asks me, this is the place I suggest.

My 5 years old (I think that's right) 125cc bike was just renewed for 2750 baht.

Motorcycles are our biggest risk to health. Don't skimp on this. I just within the past 30 minutes saw a guy hit a soi dog and it skidded his arse well down the road.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

MSIG fully comprehensive via AA is Baht 3,505 plus 7% Vat for a 1 year old Honda PCX 150 with a value of 60k, plain 3rd party will be much cheaper. Get in touch with Mat from AA or fill in a quote request on their web site.

Make sure you have medical as it will cost you and arm and a leg ( ha ha) if hurt bad.
I hit a Soi dog on Saturday see my other post. Word of Warning after Hitting Soi Dog.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Bilbo52

Post by Bilbo52 »

Thanks guys, very useful info and Steve, point taken about the medical/accident insurance, have heard some expensive horror stories about people who don't have it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

When my son took his insurance, he was advised that personal accident cover was low, and if he needed medical insurance, and additional accident policy would be advisable - wasn't expensive.

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Surely, if only requiring 3rd party, the compulsory insurance is sufficient. As far as I know, it covers 3rd party liability which means injuries to yourself and other drivers up to a statutory limit. It will not pay for damage to your own vehicle. I don't know what the limits are. If taking private insurance one needs to make sure that it covers more than the government insurance or it would be a waste of money.

I may be wrong but that's how I've always understood it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Just go to Matt or Andre at AA Insurance and tell them what you need - they have always been very straight with me. You don't get the usual salesman bullshit/pressure - they will tell you exactly what you will get, and what it costs. You can weigh up the pros and cons, and buy what is best for you.

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

HHTel wrote:Surely, if only requiring 3rd party, the compulsory insurance is sufficient. As far as I know, it covers 3rd party liability which means injuries to yourself and other drivers up to a statutory limit.
The "statutory limit" is less than 30k, that wont even cover a consultation in one of Hua Hin's swanky hospitals, let a lone a fender for a Benz. That's also providing the cops don't want a cut because you're the wrong colour, not that decent insurance would cover that either.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson