Parking Downtown Hua Hin

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Parking Downtown Hua Hin

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

What a nightmare.

Business's must be losing millions of baht as people spend lost hours driving around looking for a parking spot rather than in the restaurants and bars spending their money.

Any realistic solution?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Parking Downtown Hua Hin

Post by STEVE G »

Seeing as you can get a space in the City Beach hotel for a 100bt most nights, I would say that people spending hours driving around aren't prepared to pay for any solution.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I for one avoid the area as much as possible. In the event I do go, I have my favourite spots, and will walk a little - I haven't gone native yet. My legs do still work.

Its not only downtown Hua Hin, Since E-San Station came along, parking on Soi 94 is becoming impossible. A few 'entrepreneurs' are even charging (on the canal road towards Soi 88, and outside 7=11) for street parking. It's a bit of a gotcha, similar to kids offering to look after your car near football grounds in the UK. Pay their ransom, or come back to find your car keyed. Mrs BB paid once, and once when I parked outside the Soi 94 7-11 I refused point blank, but only Mrs BB was going into the shop, I stayed outside on guard duty.

If I can't get into one of the inadequate parking spaces, I'll just go elsewhere.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

STEVE G wrote:Seeing as you can get a space in the City Beach hotel for a 100bt most nights, I would say that people spending hours driving around aren't prepared to pay for any solution.
Can you? I've heard people say that before, but whenever I've looked (while on foot), it always seems pretty damned full, with vehicles blocking at least one ramp.

My alternative if going to the bar area is a tuk tuk each way, so 100 Baht would be cheaper (I don't drink and drive, so no problem).
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote:
STEVE G wrote:Seeing as you can get a space in the City Beach hotel for a 100bt most nights, I would say that people spending hours driving around aren't prepared to pay for any solution.
Can you? I've heard people say that before, but whenever I've looked (while on foot), it always seems pretty damned full, with vehicles blocking at least one ramp.

My alternative if going to the bar area is a tuk tuk each way, so 100 Baht would be cheaper (I don't drink and drive, so no problem).
Admittedly the city is pretty quiet at the moment but over the last two weeks it's been possible every night that we've tried it.
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

Are you seriously suggesting that City Beach Hotel car park is the solution to Hua Hin's down town parking problem?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I don't think there is a solution in the centre as there isn't room for a car park. Any solution has to be found nearby with people being prepared to walk for a few minutes. But I haven't got a clue where!

The bigger question is do they want to attract anymore cars into the centre? Maybe they need to consider a park and ride scheme?
Talk is cheap
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

malcolminthemiddle wrote:
Are you seriously suggesting that City Beach Hotel car park is the solution to Hua Hin's down town parking problem?
To be honest, I never thought there was that much of a problem. When I'm not in Hua Hin, I'm working in Luxembourg and that is a historical city with hardly any parking in the centre, you just get a bus or walk, you don't bother driving.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I used to use the temple car park a lot, but I can only remember getting a space in there once in the last 12 months. Invariably these days, there's a sign outside saying closed - entry to people attending funeral only.

Points 48; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote:I used to use the temple car park a lot, but I can only remember getting a space in there once in the last 12 months. Invariably these days, there's a sign outside saying closed - entry to people attending funeral only.

Just need to stop people dying. Problem solved!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

What about imposing an hourly charge in car parks? OK, there aren't enough car parks around, but it would prevent people parking up for hours (sometimes days) at a time, and maybe free up some space. Maybe free for the first hour, but you pay after that.

Points 48; Position 18
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

I've always been of the opinion the now empty "shopping mall" at the traffic light would be the ideal spot for a multi-level parking lot. Seems like whomever owns that property might be wise to raze those empty buildings in favor of one. Better late than never, and would produce a lot more income than it does now.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

i was thinking the same, but they've even closed the underground parking there as well.

Points 48; Position 18
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

Use a motorbike. Never had a problem parking anywhere.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No thank you - not for me. However, I agree, motorcycles seem to park anywhere - no parking zones included.

Points 48; Position 18