Buying tires in Hua Hin

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Buying tires in Hua Hin

Post by hhinner »

^^ OK. I'm not absolutely sure, but I think that Phetsiam Hua Hin is a local company trading as a franchisee of Cockpit. Cockpit is a unit of Bridgestone Sales Thailand. Do you maybe mean the Maxxis tyre place, which I would think is tied to Maxxis Tire company, so not necessarily local, and would probably want to sell their own brand?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

buksida wrote:Do any of these places have websites with prices (or have they joined the droves of other idiots that only use Facebook)?

Need a full set of tyres for our Mitsu (215/45 R17) so I wanted to compare Hua Hin prices with those locally without having to drive all the way up there.

(A Google search brings up this forum ... and Feckbook).
I used this place, (I see others had problems but it worked for me.)
http://www.b-quik.com/en/product/tyre
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No problems with the tyres or the quality of their work My only problem has been speed - they get busy, and don't rush their work even if they have a long queue.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Incidentally, if you have to wait at B quick, if you cross over the road to the Boonthavon tile place, they have a rather pleasant local restaurant in a garden through the rear, open for lunch until about 3 in the afternoon.
buksida

Post by buksida »

STEVE G wrote: I used this place, (I see others had problems but it worked for me.)
http://www.b-quik.com/en/product/tyre
Cheers, seems to have that "Hua Hin price markup" as expected though.

To answer my own question its Laz to the rescue again ... http://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=215%2F%2F45R17
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

LOL - I use Lazada for many things, but had never considered them for tyres.

Very good to judge whether I'm being asked for a rip off price though.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

I realise there will be a bit extra for fitting, balancing and alignment but it still works out cheaper this way!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I would be a bit wary of which brand you chose. Out of that lot shown on Lazada, Nitto as first choice and maybe Kumho as second. Goodyear are no longer the tyre they used to be, and the rest of them are made here.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Actually, Be Quick wasn't the cheapest place I found in Hua Hin, it was just the cheapest that was prepared to fit a set on that day. Quite a few places offered to order for less, including Toyota but they were all entailed a delay of up to two weeks.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

My Accord is now just over 3 ½ years old and has clocked up 85,000kM. Decided that it was long overdue for new booties…….Decided to ditch the old Michelin OEM as fitted and have got the moths out of my wallet. Got some Yokohama ADVAN Decibel V551 235/45R18 from Maxxis on the Pa La U Rd. Ordered on a Thursday morning, delivered the following afternoon as promised, balanced, nitrogen charged and fitted for THB 7,500 each. (Accompanied with the usual 10,000kM service free)
Why Yokohamas? Well a life-long petrol head buddy who rallies and has several nice ‘boys toys’ recommended them and he’s usually right.
I've always had Bridgestone before and they've been good. But the Accord came fitted with Michelin as OEM. I've not been that impressed. The Yokohama dBs are supposedly designed to reduce road noise. The Accord has always been quiet but has noticeably got noisier over the last 8 months to a year. I'm very impressed with the quietness of the ride with the new Yokohamas.
I’m well aware that a tyre wall degrades with exposure to UV and the ride gets hard. This had definitely happened with the existing Michelins and can honestly say that the new tyres are MUCH more compliant and quieter. The acid test will be when I take my eldest up to Bangkok this week for his final exam at Harrow School – a round trip of approx. 450kM. It should be a good test for them.
Sateeb – your comments re this dealer noted but I’ve bought Bridgestones from here for my old Civic and our old Toyota truck. Never been a problem.
As for the cost of the Yokohamas on Lazada – no difference – but I got them supplied and fitted from a dealer near home and if (Hopefully not) there’s a problem they’re just down the road.
So – I guess it’s the same with most things, “you pays your money and you makes your choice.”
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

No problem Terry. Hope all goes well with your "boots". I was told by a "reputable dealer" that my Firestones were copies.

As ever caveat emptor.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.