Small Truck Hire

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
coolchang
Rookie
Rookie

Small Truck Hire

Post by coolchang »

Can anyone please advise
I intend to self move household goods from Hua Hin to Surat Thani area
Does anyone know what is the largest Vehicle I can hire on a Thai Driving licence ?
Also where can i hire a suitable self drive Truck in the HH area
As ever thanks for your help
brianks
Guru
Guru

Re: Small Truck Hire

Post by brianks »

Welcome to South Thailand. If you like beaches, rain, green and uncongested living try a bit farther east and south of Surat Thani in Khanom or Sichon. Considerably less congested in my home areas. From a former Hua Hin resident. Good luck with truck.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Small Truck Hire

Post by hhinner »

This got me interested so I tried some web research.

If you just have the normal licence, which on the back has a picture of 3 vehicle types and says "Private Car" then you can drive only those types. According to the vehicles act of BE 2522 that means: a car with max 7 seats, or a vehicle with up to 12 seats (a passenger van) or a pick up (or similar cargo carrier) with a weight not exceeding 1600 kg. This was apparently amended in BE 2542, but I couldn't find that modification in either Thai or English. You might be able to drive a small goods van (like a Ford Transit), but are there such things in Thailand?

I think you're pretty well limited to lightweight 4 wheels.

Good luck.

Cheers.
coolchang
Rookie
Rookie

Post by coolchang »

Many thanks for the replies ,
Ok , so it appears 1600 kg is the max i can drive on
Does anyone know where i can hire such a vehicle in the Hua Hin area
Many thanks
coolchang
Rookie
Rookie

Small self Drive truck Hire in Hua Hin area

Post by coolchang »

Can anyone please advise
I intend to self move household goods from Hua Hin to Surat Thani area
Does anyone know what is the largest Vehicle I can hire on a Thai Driving licence ?
Also where can i hire a suitable self drive Truck in the HH area
As ever thanks for your help

Apologies , i put this notice in the motoring section and have had no clear answer other than 1,600 KG is the biggest vehicle I can drive on a a car Licence

But ,……. I'm require information on Vehicle hire location

Thanks
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I'm not sure you will find anywhere and more likely it will have to be a man with a truck, but even then I can't advise you where from!!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

coolchang wrote:Many thanks for the replies ,
Ok , so it appears 1600 kg is the max i can drive on
Does anyone know where i can hire such a vehicle in the Hua Hin area
Many thanks
If you can get all your household goods in a pickup truck then you could probably rent one easily enough. The forum has a car rental sponsor who may have trucks available. Failing that you could try Google "hua Hin truck rental" or "Thailand truck rental". If you want to be able to drop it off in Surat Thani then you'll need to hire from one of the nationwide rental companies.

On the other hand you may be better off looking for a man with a truck. You'd probably need someone who can read truck for hire adverts on power poles, or ask a motorbike taxi driver if they know anyone. Alternatively, try Google "removals Hua Hin" you should find some old forum threads which may be helpful.

If you just have a car licence you will not be able to drive anything bigger than a pickup or small flatbed truck (e.g. Suzuki Carry) yourself.