Hybrid/Electic vehicles

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Hybrid/Electic vehicles

Post by StevePIraq »

On a more positive note than our usual grumpy snide remarks has anyone bought a Hybrid or electric car. Being an engineer I love the technology and I really do want to make a difference to the environment and my kids futures. I hate diesels so would never buy one.

The main options available at present are all electric, based on substantial battery cells or Hybrid petrol with motor drive wheels. I have not heard of Diesel with motor driven wheels so far.

With electric something one very rarely reads about is replacement batteries, we all know that car batteries in Thailand tend to die after 2 or 3 years, yes there are exceptions. So what is the life span and replacement cost of a battery pack. Well in the US Nissan offer replacement packs for the Nissan Leaf (tiddly little car) for $3,000 which is not so bad when one considers the cost of fuel over one year. However what is the cost for a large SUV pack? I have not seen this. They also estimate 80% capacity after 5 years, no one so far guarantees anything. The one downside in Thailand is what happens when it fails and you are in the countryside, who will have packs available.

Motor driven hybrid is IMPO the way to go, as although one still needs petrol there is no battery pack to fail or ever replace.

So who has experience
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Hybrid/Electic vehicles

Post by Felipesed1 »

I have had a Camry hybrid for about 4 years now.
Very pleased with it, economical and fast.
No expenditure other than annual oil/filter changes etc.
I have not kept accurate fuel consumption figures, but it is a lot cheaper to run than my previous 2.2 Camry.

Around town, if one is gentle with the throttle, you can just use the battery power.

It is fast away from traffic lights because you have power from the engine and the electric motor.

Very pleased with it, and recommend it to anyone.
It was not my first car of choice, but now I am glad I bought it.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Re: Hybrid/Electic vehicles

Post by NOKYAI »

In the UK, 6 yrs ago I had a Prius. It didn't live up to the hype. In the winter the petrol engine was used to heat the car so economy suffered. In the summer it needed to do the same for the aircon. So my best average was about 55 MPG in the spring and Autumn.i only kept it 3 yrs, but quite liked the car. IMHO at that time they still had a long way to go with the concept.
Would the need for aircon all the time mean that you would not get anything like the figures for economy the manufacturer claims?
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!