Easy Motorcycle License

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
HHCanuck
Professional
Professional

Easy Motorcycle License

Post by HHCanuck »

I went to Cha Am to get a motorcycle licence two days ago and was told the next appointment would be July 25th. The lady at the desk who checks papers asked my son (who was translating for me) if I had a Canadian license which I did but it had expired 7 years ago. So I took a shot and gave it to her and 1.5 hours later I had a 2 year motorcycle licence. I did not have an international licence however I do have a Thai automobile licence. I only had to perform the colors test.

:D
Scout
Professional
Professional

Re: Easy Motorcycle License

Post by Scout »

Did your expired Canadian license have a motorcycle endorsement ?
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

HHCanuck wrote:I went to Cha Am to get a motorcycle licence two days ago and was told the next appointment would be July 25th.

Appointment?
HHCanuck
Professional
Professional

Post by HHCanuck »

Jesse wrote:Did your expired Canadian license have a motorcycle endorsement ?
Yes
HHCanuck
Professional
Professional

Post by HHCanuck »

Pleng wrote:
HHCanuck wrote:I went to Cha Am to get a motorcycle licence two days ago and was told the next appointment would be July 25th.

Appointment?
Yes if you need to do the full test I didn't expect that either I knew places like Phuket and Bangkok required appointments of 3 months. Everyone had to put there name on the sheet for car or motorcycle.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

I am currently waiting for my appointment to get my motorcycle license at the Pranburi office. I went in a few days before Songkran expecting to begin the process that day and have my license the following day, but was given an appointment to come back in 1 month. I had just purchased a new motorcycle so I asked what I should show the police if I was stopped. I apparently misunderstood, but I thought they said to show them the appointment slip. Several days later I was stopped by the police at the 2nd set of traffic lights, heading north for stopping partially in the crosswalk when the light turned red. The police invited me into the police box for a chat, where they were very impressed with my Thai language skills, seemed very interested in chatting with me in Thai about many things non-traffic related, and explained that I would have to pay a 400bt fine for stopping in the crosswalk. They also carefully examined by driver license appointment slip, front and back, several times, then told me I could not use it for a drivers license. I mildly protested paying the 400bt fine and was told that normally it would be 400bt for stopping in the crosswalk and another 400bt for driving without a motorcycle license, but since I had the appointment slip they would not fine me for not having the license. I do have a Thai car drivers license but that didn't help because I was on a motorcycle. I handed him a 500bt bill, he fished a 100bt bill out of his pocket and gave it to me as change, we all smiled and I went on my way. I thought about asking for a receipt but decided against it, thinking that might result in an additional fine for not having a license. All in all, it wasn't a bad experience :)
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

HHCanuck wrote:
Pleng wrote:

Appointment?
Yes if you need to do the full test I didn't expect that either I knew places like Phuket and Bangkok required appointments of 3 months. Everyone had to put there name on the sheet for car or motorcycle.
OK that's new, then. I didn't need to have an appointment when I went 18 months ago. Just turned up at 8.30 in the morning, registered and began the training straight away. Maybe it's because it's high season; though I wouldn't have thought it's a particularly seasonal business.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

wow things are changing fast at the transportion office.
i think i got in just under the wire last May 2015 with my 5 year auto and motorcycle license.
jesus soon they are going to enforce traffic laws.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.