Auto Electrician/Tester

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Re: Auto Electrician/Tester

Post by Pagey »

[quote="Nereus"][quote]
Not sure that I follow your reasoning with this? What has a relay got to do with the handbrake connector?

It means the DVD player will work whether the handbrake is on or off, otherwise I have to run a cable to the handbrake switch so that the DVD will show images when the handbrake is on. Not that I will watch DVD's whilst driving of course.

I'm no electrician, I just followed this video from youtube.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

If that relay has it's coil off the battery and it's energised with the ignition off, it'll drain the battery after a couple of days. I once worked on an old aircraft that had been modified with a circuit like that and it took us a while to work out why one of the batteries went flat if you didn't fly it all week.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Steve, the power source (of the relay) is connected to the acc lead ( I hope) so only active when the acc is selected with the ignition key. That's why I used the relay rather than just earth the handbrake cable.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

OK, I imagine it's just a new battery. I had one made by a company called GS that lasted 7 years in my pick up but three years seems to be more common in Thailand.