Reflective window film on cars

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Reflective window film on cars

Post by usual suspect »

Having trawled thru' endless pages of bickering about what %age window tint to fit/use, I could find no mention of the refective type of window film..?
Do any forum members have it on their vehicles here..? Does it keep some of the heat out..? Is there any tint or visual restriction when driving at night..? (On this basis alone I'm reluctant to use dark-tint).
Finally..What brand & product code did you fit..? Many thanks in advance for info... :cheers:
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Re: Reflective window film on cars

Post by dundrillin »

There is an English chap who supplies this service for houses and presumably could place the film in cars. I have left the details in HuaHin but I think he advertised in Approach or the other glossy one .
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I can't remember if mine is 30 or 40% but it's sufficient that you can easily see whose driving the car (the BIB tend to ignore me) plus you can see out easily, even at night, but still get reasonable reduction from heat. Mine was dealer fitted, although I chose the % of tint.
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

Not sure if it will help with what you need, but I live in the Middle East where it tends to get just a tad hot and sunny in Summer :naughty: and I use a 40% tint on my vehicle, which is legally the max you are allowed, though you'd never know it to watch the locals driving around with windows that you would need a laser light to see through.

40% provides a reasonable degree of protection from the sun and allows good vision both day-time and night-time. The brand I have on my car is LLumar, which I believe is also available in Thailand, see here http://asiapacific.llumar.com/where-to-buy-311
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

There is a law which I think became effective in 2012. Tint on windscreens is illegal and I'm sure there is a 40% limit on side windows. For the life of me, I cant find the actual law, only an article in the Nation. I do remember it being discussed at the time.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

HHTel wrote:There is a law which I think became effective in 2012. Tint on windscreens is illegal and I'm sure there is a 40% limit on side windows. For the life of me, I cant find the actual law, only an article in the Nation. I do remember it being discussed at the time.
My company is very observant of Thai law and provided a lease car with 40 percent tint all around. I would be very surprised if they got it wrong.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I have used several tints - first on a 1992 Mitsubishi with 20% tint - and was quite unhappy with the performance then. Good during the day but hopeless at night. My next few cars were without tint (or very light tint) until I bought my latest secondhand one with a 60%(!) tint. (I could be wrong) I wanted it removed before I took the car but they said tints these days are much better performing and the laws were more tolerant - as long as the metallic content is below 15%. Well, I can actually see out without difficulty at night and the whole car - including the windscreen - is tinted.
It is also a slight boon as I have had an incident or two where it would have been better not to have been seen as a non-local driving. You can just about see a person through the tint in bright sunlight.
The car came with a Lamina brand film and the spec is ANL20N.053.
Lots of minivans use a darker tint than this...
วินเชนท์
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

I've always had 20% on the windscreen and 40% on sides and rear as recommended by Honda

Works fine in both daylight and at night.
Last edited by Terry on Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I just went with what Ford recommended, and unusually, I was happy with what I got. :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

"For example, I agree with the government issuing a tinted-film law, but I don't agree with the law that prohibits tinted film from being put on the front windscreen. Instead, a darkness level for the film should be designated so that it doesn't affect visibility. And the reason that I want tinted films on the windshield is because of safety reasons rather than preventing heat. "

"Although the law prohibiting tinted film on the front windscreen was finally introduced, a very high number of vehicles in the country has tinted film on the windshield.

As you can see, although the law has been passed and taken effect, not much importance has been given to enforcing it. You can also say that people are breaking the law because they want added safety. "

This was from an article in The Nation in 2012
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Don't forget to also add the customery Thai graphics to your side windows.
Attachments
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_images.png
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_images.png (2.44 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Post by BOZ »

We went with 60% metalic reflective tint all the way around... Works well to keep the car somewhat cooler... You don't need sunglasses at all... The night time vision is ok for the most part... I have no complaints... I always roll down my window at the checkpoints as to not make an issue out of it and that always works for a quick Swadee Kop and away I go... I had it installed at the Chevy dealer in BKK when we bought the Trailblazer... Happy with it and will duplicate on any further purchases going forward...
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

BOZ, not only will I put the same tint shade on,there was an added boon. In the past my wife would find a large piece of cloth or paper and wind it up with the window because it was 'too hot'. This basically blocked most of my left vision and I would have a running battle to keep the vision of the wing mirror free.
Well she finally got her own vehicle with a less aggressive tint but now with this darker tint I don't have to put up with this annoyance if she does sit in the car.
วินเชนท์
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Right then folks..(Why use 10 words when I can use 100+).. :mrgreen:
My windscreen had 2 big stone chips not to far from each other..I posted on the forum asking for the whereabouts of a place that repairs these chips.
Big Boy came up with a place on Petkasem Rd :bow: ..sadly they say they don't do anymore.. :(
This same shop tho' has a place in Pranburi..a phonecall from the Mrs & I was on my way down this morning...
Turns out they did'nt repair windscreens either (after telling the Mrs they did) :banghead:
BUT..
B-Quik in H.H. wanted 6000B for a replacement screen..the lady at this shop would fit me one for 3800.. :)
Then she explained my new screen would need film..Then she walked around the car, she got in it.. back out ,& said "All windows no good".." need new film".
A phonecall to wifey, handed lady the phone..2 mins later the lady is coming out of the shop with the 'Hi Kool' sample book..
...the upshot is I've now got R26 reflective film on the new screen they fitted, & R75 on sides & rear glass.
On the drive home the air-con is set midway, blowers on #2, I'm nice & comfortable, & the total cost for the new screen & tint all round was 7000B I think that's quite reasonable. :thumb:
The shop..? Look for the Hi-Kool banners hanging down on the left, on the main Rd in Pranburi..JUST before the
traffic lights near the Tesco store.
(ps..I don't do night driving here any more).
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

usual suspect wrote:B-Quik in H.H. wanted 6000B for a replacement screen..the lady at this shop would fit me one for 3800.. :)
On the drive home the air-con is set midway, blowers on #2, I'm nice & comfortable, & the total cost for the new screen & tint all round was 7000B I think that's quite reasonable. :thumb:
Wow, 3.8K for a new windscreen and 7K all up for the screen and all round tinting, that seems extremely reasonable. Is that windscreen laminated? What size of vehicle are you driving, if you don't mind me asking?
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......