Trying to be safe in thailand - buying a pickup

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Trying to be safe in thailand - buying a pickup

Post by Bristolian »

Forget the pickups, the 'tuners and alike. Get yourself one of these!

It still wouldn't hurt to follow James West's list either, add seat belts, extra lights etc.

I personally wouldn't bother with the
proximity sensors or assistive parking options. Park wherever you please as I have yet to see a wheel clamp to fit or tow truck to handle this. Do remember to clean the motorcyclists from the radiator grill weekly! :D

You might need to clean your own windscreen at the filling station. :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (21.3 KiB) Viewed 368 times
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
ThaiMike
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ThaiMike »

Ok i am sold, i want the red one. That thing will guarantee survival even in Thailand and clean out my savings account at the same time so i can't spend it on girls !

And ill follow James list, will get the truck with the best safety features , shame a good german touring car is not an option unless you want to pay the 300% taxes.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

If you can afford the red civilian Maurauder at $650,000., the import duty should be a breeze. However you do get a lot for your money

Weight‎: ‎Curb: 9,900 kg (21,780 lb); Combat: 15,000 kg (33,000 lb)‎
Speed‎: ‎100–120 km/h (tyre dependent)‎

At 9 tonnes the occasional wandering idiot on a scooter won't even register

I gotta get one .....
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
jvs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jvs »

I own an older pick-up and just love it,can go any where and driving over cements deviders is no issue at all.
The first thing i had to upgrade was the horn,motorbike riders did not even respond to the "please notice me" sound
They really do wake up fast when i us the multiple sound air horn,i only use it in emergencies and it has saved us from
a few fender benders i can assure you.
ThaiMike
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ThaiMike »

Now that is a good addition on the horn, thanks and noted.
The 650k is doable as long as it can function as a home too :)

If only Singapore had an retirement visa, massages and was a little less expensive..
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

ThaiMike wrote:
If only Singapore had an retirement visa, massages and was a little less expensive..
I don't know how much it is now but in Singapore it used to cost about 20,000 dollars for a car, that wasn't to buy the car, just for the licence to own one!