Taking a car to Malaysia and neighbouring countries

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Taking a car to Malaysia and neighbouring countries

Post by Nereus »

Well, like many things here, confusion reigns supreme!

From what I can find that "passport" is only recognized, and required, by Laos.

There is extensive commentary on that "other" forum" concerning this subject, although some of it is questionable.
Every neighboring country of Thailand allows Thai cars to enter, just as Thailand allows cars from those countries to enter Thailand. However, there are different entry requirements and restrictions - Laos is the only one with a formal "automobile passport" requirement, meaning cars from Thailand (and Vietnam) require an automobile passport, issued by the land transport department in the respective countries to enter Laos. Similar, Lao cars require the same for entry into Thailand and Vietnam.

None of the other surrounding countries use the system. Entry into Malaysia is generally the most straightforward of all of Thailand's neighbors, but a translation of the owners blue book (for cars) or green book (for motorcycles) is required, as is a translation of the licence/number plate, in the form of a sticker with a black background and white lettering, mimicking Malaysia's number plate design.

Cambodia and Myanmar both have restrictions on which border crossings can be used, and/or how far a foreign registered vehicle (including Thai) can drive inside the other's territory. For the most part you can just show up with a blue or green book, for cars and motorcycles respectively and enter Cambodia, at the checkpoints which allow vehicles to enter (currently there are 3). For entry via the other checkpoints, more formal arrangements must be made in advance. For Myanmar you'll need to go on a tour otherwise you won't be able to go much further than the town limits, of whichever border town you enter at, even though you as a passenger could if you enter with a Myanmar visa, but the car won't be allowed to.
And the following:
BANGKOK, 26 September 2014 (NNT) - DLT explained that the automobile passport is an agreement between Thailand and Laos, although new driver licenses can allow Thais to drive in all ASEAN countries.

The DLT deputy-general, Atsathai Rattadilok, said the automobile passport cannot be used among other ASEAN countries and can only be used in Laos PDR as the agreement is only between Thailand and Laos PDR.

Other ASEAN countries are not involved in this, although the new driver license will allow drivers to use cars in all ASEAN countries, including Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Brunei, Vietnam, Laos PDR, Myanmar, and Cambodia.

In case of any confusion, or if you have any clue which can lead to uncovering any deceptive practices, reports should be made to the license department at the Provincial Land Transport Office of Bangkok area 5, Tel. 02-271-8426 or Call Center at 1584 for 24/7.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

I personally would never drive my vehicle into a neighboring SouthEast Asian country, it's just way too risky(vehicle theft, breakdowns, etc.).
I have heard of people driving their car from Bangkok to Singapore, I'm not sure about Laos or Cambodia but I do know for a fact that a foreigner can not drive his/her vehicle into Burma(Myanmar).
I have also heard that the Malaysian Police like to target vehicles with Thai License Plates.
Good Luck.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

We've only driven into Laos, so that's all I know. And, it's been slightly different every time. The first time they wanted us to put on the English number plates. Never again. Once they didn't want to open the gate onto the Friendship Bridge because our "T" sticker had fallen off. I think they actually gave us a paper one to tape to the inside of the windshield.

As usual, it's always best to check with recent travelers to get the latest scoop. My wife finds that the Pantip travel board often has the most updated information.

And, finally, life is risky, isn't it? We all decide what risks we're willing to take. I know that some of my decisions make no logical or scientific sense, but I do it anyway.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

After thinking about this a bit I seem to recall reading some years back that that International Transport Permit was part of the whole process of bringing some uniformity to traffic rules throughout ASEAN: English drivers licenses, English number plates, English transport permits. The idea was to have English as the common language and to make getting translations of this stuff unnecessary.

Another pipe dream, I guess.
lao_insurance.jpg
lao_insurance.jpg (125.39 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
Here's the Lao vehicle insurance desk at ThaKhek. Under he left hand is the sticker that goes on the inside of your windshield to show you are insured.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Ratsima wrote:
hhfarang wrote:What the heck is a car passport? We drove into both Laos and Myanmar without any special paperwork for the car (that I remember). Both times we just got a day visa at the border crossing and just went. :?
itp_cover.jpg
You can't cross the border without it….
I did... twice! :shock:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'm off to Laos next week. Picked up my 'car passport' today with the two 'T' stickers. One is black and one is blue. Does anyone know which goes at the front and which goes at the back?