Tourists on motorbikes..Oh dear!

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Re: Tourists on motorbikes..Oh dear!

Post by bsdk1960 »

SydneyGuy wrote:
bsdk1960 wrote:
SydneyGuy wrote:very god read, and most appropriate, now i suggest you write a thread on the older tourists who come to Hua Hin and ride bicycles (pretending that they are riding in their home town of Copenhagen or Sweden), they are a danger to themselves and every other road user!!
Seems like Sydney is the perfect place to be according road safety.
With a popuation of 1,5 million in Copenhagen I doubt how many Old people dive around on bicycles in Hua Hin.
Maybe you just skipped the tourist part and landed in LOS and jumped in and bought a house,and have you ever been to Copenhagen ,I promise you its a lot dangerous to drive a bicycles there ,than here.

:cheers: :cheers:

Hi

I was in Copenhagen several years ago, and was amazed at the how well the public transport and infrastructure was designed, with lanes for, bicycles, taxis, buses and cars. People riding bicycles everywhere in perfect safety.

According to statistics around 50% of people living in Copenhagen ride bikes to commute to work.

http://denmark.dk/en/green-living/bicyc ... eir-bikes/

cheers
OK fair enough,but Im born and have lived in Copnhagen for 55 years,and ride in the rush hour is not for the faint hearted,you have to stand your ground and I do fear for my Thai wife when she will roaming the streets.
The danger is all the other bicycles who all are to late for work and not so much the cars as we have a lot of bicycles lane which is good but is to small.

bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Terry wrote:
Big Boy wrote:................Cyclists at night, with no lights in an unlit area - now that does wind me up. :cuss:
The motor bikes who turn their lights off (to save the battery :banghead: :banghead: ) REALLY get my goat.

Agree and thats one of the reason why I hate drive when its dark,and there is no streetlight,and the big trucks with a minimum light in the rear really freaks me out.

bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

buksida wrote:
oakdale160 wrote: My hate is motor bikes riding on the wrong side of the road.
Echo that, but when cars do it you get even more annoyed!

There is a guide to riding in Thailand here for the uninitiated: http://ontheroadasia.com/riding-in-thailand.php
and when they drive the wrong way,they drive so long to their right so they force you out in the midle of the street,or force you to stop if theres a car comming from behind .

bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Big Boy wrote:And then there's young kids on motorcycles. I've just come back from Soi 88, where 16 kids up to about 14 years old have ridden past in convoy :cuss:
Maybe they are attending a motorbike class :D

http://sshare.dk/dragoerungdomsskole/wp ... 51x185.jpg

Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

I recently rode through Chiang Mai whilst on a motorbike tour and was pretty shocked how bad the traffic is in town. It was just after the young British lassie was knocked off her scooter and there was the blood appeal.
I remember thinking how stupid it is for inexperienced people to be riding bikes in Thailand......
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

buksida wrote:There is a guide to riding in Thailand here for the uninitiated: http://ontheroadasia.com/riding-in-thailand.php
also:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=23710

:cheers:
GN.
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Post by Chazz14 »

Having been a cyclist all my life (I never learnt to drive), I felt that back in England cycling was becoming more and more dangerous as traffic volumes continually increased year after year. There also seemed to be as many bad cyclists as drivers IMO (as of two years ago).

After two years cycling here I actually feel safer because, as previouser posters have mentioned, in Thailand you expect the unexpected every time you go out - In the U.K. people don't.

Also, nearly ALL Thais have ridden on two wheels before they move on to four - in the UK everyone goes straight for a car...
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

oakdale160 wrote:They believe that they are saving gas by not using the battery which is recharged by a dynamo on the engine. They tend to use the kickstart even if they have an electric starter fr the same reason.
My hate is motor bikes riding on the wrong side of the road.
They are technically correct. By not using the lights, you will be saving on petrol ----- almost a teaspoon per 10,000 kms!