Driving/Motorbike License

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Bamsen
Amateur
Amateur

Driving/Motorbike License

Post by Bamsen »

Can I have motorbike riding license if I dont have work permit or didnt apply for a long term stay. I applied only 2 months a time.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Driving/Motorbike License

Post by Homer »

Bamsen wrote:Can I have motorbike riding license if I dont have work permit or didnt apply for a long term stay. I applied only 2 months a time.
In general, it's more useful to say what kind of visa you have, not the kinds you don't.

I got a motorbike license last year. Most of the how-to guides I saved said a non-immigrant visa was necessary. Some said a tourist visa is enough. I have a non-imm visa, so I don't know about tourist visas.
Bamsen
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Bamsen »

In general, it's more useful to say what kind of visa you have, not the kinds you don't.

I got a motorbike license last year. Most of the how-to guides I saved said a non-immigrant visa was necessary. Some said a tourist visa is enough. I have a non-imm visa, so I don't know about tourist visas.
Thank you , I have heard that tourist visa is enough as well but it sounds incredible for me:-(
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Generally.....if you want an official license for a bike or a car/pickup etc then you need a non immigrant visa of some type and go to the license issuing centre near where you are. If you have a valid license for said vehicle from your home country then you only need pass the eye/reaction test. If not, then you need to go though all the silly crap that the Thais have to.

Otherwise.....if you are just temporary here in LoS, then an international driver's license will suffice if you are a tourist etc or short stay sort of person.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

I got a thai licesens on a tourist visa a couple a years ago, and got 2 years extension last summer.

:cheers: :cheers:
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I got my license initially on a non immigrant visa, but extended it on a 30 day visa exempt stamp
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

I don't recall seeing on this site any links to the English versions of: the official Thai traffic laws, screen shots of actual license test questions or traffic regulatory and warning signs. Did I miss them? I found that info was essential, now that the number of correct answers needed to pass the test was raised substantially.
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

@Robcar,
Really good post and very interesting read, are they making this into a slapstick comedy as most of it is a joke in TTL
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

I thought the same when I read it.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Two places it's not a joke are the license test and court. But I'm not sure about court. ;)
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'm sure many of you have noticed that the traffic laws here are based upon the UK code. So what is the problem ------ education and enforcement. That's never going to happen.