Comprehensive motor insurance scam

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Comprehensive motor insurance scam

Post by Bluesky »

Wife. Received a call today from an I individual claiming to be from Honda cars Thailand. He was ringing to advise that the government had imposed an additional 20 percent tax on premiums from February this year. Advised her that she could lock in the current premium price for our first class insurance now and we would receive our next first class insurance at the current rate. All very convincing to this point. He then suggested to lock in before the February deadline she should either deposit a holding amount of 3000 baht or pay the full amount of 19000 baht if that not possible then they could arrange for the premium to be pre paid in installments on a slightly larger deposit.

However to lock this in we would have to do a transfer before 3 pm via Internet to secure. Wife, from a corporate accounting background has a fairly sensitive Bullsh.t meter that was now knocking hard into the red. Said she had an urgent matter to attend to and could they ring back. Promptly hung up and rang dealership where she purchased the car from and spoke with them. They were totally suprised by this revelation and said it was not in fact the case and their insurance underwriter had made no such arrangements.
Scammer rang back and I answered and asked for some further details on how I could contact him at Honda and not via mobile. You guessed it ! He vanished into the Ether and when I tried to ring back could no longer be found! ( Great opportunity for a sting operation had it not occurred in Thailand!!)
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Re: Comprehensive insurance scam

Post by Bluesky »

Quick update: Phone numbers used by the caller were 0968820417 and 0856607392
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Re: Comprehensive motor insurance scam

Post by Frank La Rue »

Did the conversation go so far that the caller provided an account number to make the deposit to? It could be possible to track down the scammer that way
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Re: Comprehensive motor insurance scam

Post by Bluesky »

Subject terminated call fairly rapidly when a landline number was requested. Certainly scope for an affirmative approach had this happened in Australia. Not so sure how motivated BIB fraudies or CIB
would be to deal with this unless there was a clear walk up start.