U-Turns

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Re: U-Turns

Post by centermid7 »

^ so in other words you really don't know much about it but could not pass up a contrived opportunity to bash our American friends.

Cheers!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

centermid7 wrote:^ so in other words you really don't know much about it but could not pass up a contrived opportunity to bash our American friends.

Cheers!
No American bashing from me. There are many articles including articles in the US about the difficulty Americans have with roundabouts and the reasons why are quite valid.

Seems some of you can't avoid being truculent.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

StevePIraq wrote:...............With roundabouts it is much the same, Thais cannot comprehend them, at the big one on Pala U road and By Pass Road, Thais stop on the roundabout, I can't understand this as they don't stop anywhere else......................
Yep - this particularly pisses me off
Why can't somebody teach local drivers that in sensible places, you ALWAYS give way to the traffic already ON the roundabout.
Apart from which it's bloody common sense
If you all stop on the roundabout you get gridlock............. :guns: :twisted: :roll:

There have been several occasions on the above mentioned roundabout when I've almost rear ended a twat who suddenly brakes whilst letting somebody ON to the roundabout..............

In the end it becomes a free-for-all and that's when the accidents happen.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

For the umpteenth time you give way to traffic
coming from the right. In my experience the roundabout on 112 works well most of the time, motorbikes excepted of course.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Terry you make me laugh "Apart from which it's bloody common sense" this is Thailand (Ting Tong Land) when does common sense come into it?
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

I know - after 24 years of driving here you'd think I would know by now :roll:
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

HHTel wrote:Welcome back, James.

No change then!
Nor have you, as your continued predilection for irrelevancy demonstrates.

ok, i just laughed out loud with that one, so i am good now. :D

the two boy fighting in the school yard are done and i have found they usually go on to be friends and beat the crap out of all the other kids.

so bring it on. its just going to roll off my back from now on. :)

ok, back to U-turns
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'm guilty of a predilection for irrelevancy!!! I don't think so. My posts are usually relevant to the particular thread I'm responding to. Anyway, life goes on.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

The French law used to to be traffic coming on to the roundabout has priority, however this is slowly changing, which is very confusing. The other weird one was, you would be going down a main road but traffic coming from a side road has priority.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

I don't hope JamesWest and HHtel will meet each other in a roundabout or a u-turn,bad things could happen

:cheers: :cheers:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

:lach: :lach: :lach: :lach:

An interesting thought. Certainly wouldn't be boring!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

lindosfan1 wrote:The French law used to to be traffic coming on to the roundabout has priority, however this is slowly changing, which is very confusing. The other weird one was, you would be going down a main road but traffic coming from a side road has priority.
They still have that giving way to oncoming traffic from a side road here in Luxembourg and I've seen it in Germany as well. It's only in residential areas and it's used to slow down traffic around housing. It's lethal if you don't know about it, I was behind two British bikers who almost got creamed when someone pulled out of a junction, (they were going too fast anyway)!
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

I think the problem with roundabouts is they're designed and approved by engineers for use by people far less rational and with poorer spacial reasoning skills. Engineer brain means while in a moving vehicle, you can glance at another moving vehicle, judge the distance between and speed differentials of the 2, predict if or where the two paths intersect, then act appropriately.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Speaking of roundabouts and U-Turns, here's an interesting traffic nightmare... I bet some of you have driven through this and survived...
traffic.png
traffic.png (230.02 KiB) Viewed 452 times
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

That's a really crazy junction. Where is that?