Shocking video campaign aims to change Thai driving behaviour

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
buksida

Shocking video campaign aims to change Thai driving behaviour

Post by buksida »

This is what happens when you use a crosswalk in Thailand.

A compilation video of pedestrians getting hit at a crosswalk is being used to send a powerful message to motorists to simply follow the law - by stopping their vehicles when they should.

In the campaign, “Stop For Step”, by business students of Kasetsart University, a one-minute video shows just what happens when people attempt to safely use crosswalks in Thailand. The explicit clip compiles dashboard recordings of what could be you every time you try to get to the other side. The heart-stopping content appears tragic, but sadly, it is not uncommon.

The campaign aims to encourage cars to stop at crosswalks, and for pedestrians to cross at crosswalks rather than jaywalk. The campaign is a part of the Toyota Campus Challenge 2015 designated to reduce car accidents.

Thailand is also famous for having the second deadliest roads in the world. A report by the World Health Organization has shown that about 39 people lose their lives each day to the country’s monstrous traffic.

Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Shocking video campaign aims to change Thai driving behaviour

Post by StevePIraq »

God damn a few shocking scenes in that, I really hope it hits home but I doubt it.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

You cannot stop at a pedestrian crossing here because a motorcyclist will rarely stop. If I stop, I'd be putting pedestrians in a lot of danger from the motorcyclist coming down the blind side. I don't like it, but it's fact.

Most of these motorcyclists have never learnt how to drive safely. Take the unlicenced drivers/riders off the roads instead of 200 Baht tea money, and things may start to improve.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

But it is not just unlicensed drivers/riders, it is easy to get a license issued for car or motorbike without even taking a test.

My 15 year old daughter was issued a bike license in Pranburi, no test required and even though she was underage the license was issued.
My wife had her car license issued in Isaan, she could not drive and did not even attend the licensing office in person.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, kill the corruption as well :D :run:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

For all we Farang's complain things will not change, we need to accept things in Thailand as they are and as my wife says "Just take care of yourself and don't bother with the rest, is their problem"
jvs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jvs »

It is not just Farangs who complain,it is mostly Thai people and if people keep accepting these things as normal nothing will ever change.
Maybe more traffic lights at major crossings would be a good start.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

I taught Driver Education in the U.S. and statistics show that unfortunately grizzly videos like this don't have any lasting affect on people. The only way the drivers are going to reform is if the Traffic Police get on their horses (vehicles) and patrol the streets and stop and ticket the violators (without accepting the bribe). Traffic stops don't catch the violators but patrolling the streets and highways would catch lots of the wild ones. Unfortunately I doubt this will happen in my lifetime. Just have to be extremely careful myself not to be in a dangerous position.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

jvs wrote:It is not just Farangs who complain,it is mostly Thai people and if people keep accepting these things as normal nothing will ever change.
Maybe more traffic lights at major crossings would be a good start.
But motorcyclists (and some cars) still don't stop if they think they can get away with it.

Points 48; Position 18
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Big Boy wrote:You cannot stop at a pedestrian crossing here because a motorcyclist will rarely stop. If I stop, I'd be putting pedestrians in a lot of danger from the motorcyclist coming down the blind side. I don't like it, but it's fact.

Most of these motorcyclists have never learnt how to drive safely. Take the unlicenced drivers/riders off the roads instead of 200 Baht tea money, and things may start to improve.
A very valid point BB as well as the fact that if YOU stop then you also stand a good chance of being shunted up the ar5e by some other w*nk*r........ :cuss:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"For all we Farang's complain things will not change, we need to accept things in Thailand as they are..."

or escape from the madness. :wink:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Is this thread about Farangs complaining? I thought it was Thailand's realisation that there is a problem. Yes, I'm moaning, but agreeing with the Thailand stance at the same time.

Points 48; Position 18
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

BB, I see 2 cars, 1 lorry and 2 motorcyklist accident in this vidio so why only rant about motorcyklist ,when i'm in thailand 5-6 month a year I drive car,motorcycle, walk and bicycle and noone is better than the other imho.
If you think you safe when you walk and don't look out for traffic you asking for trouble in any country but Thailand is very dangerous,some of these people just walk and don't look uot for them self.

:cheers: :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, they are all dangerous, but there are a lot more motorcycles, so the danger is that much more. Sheer size prevents many (not all) cars and lorries attempting many of the antics motorcycles perform.

Points 48; Position 18